• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Iona at Wake - 8:30 ESPN3

This pass it around the perimeter offense doesn't work without someone being able to shoot from outside (or mid-range). Hopefully Manning can find a HS or post-grad shooter for next year (or one of the guys develops into a more consistent shooter) as the influx of big men and Crawford will have limited effect without some outside shooting presence.

Lol, absolutely. Fuck Bz and his recruiting so much.
I trust Manning, but I'm not sure what role Wilbekin was supposed to fill on this team, or the next few.

Apparently the halftime show budget has been slashed

I know little to nothing about coaching basketball, but why is it that apparently none of the coaches we've had in a while can teach teach the team how to beat a zone? It seems even back to Skip all a team had to do was play zone and we look clueless. As far as I know, you can either shoot over it or work a play with a man near the foul line who looks for a cutter at the baseline or some variation on that. Surely someone else knows other/better plays, but what gives?

I'd be shocked. Devin is pretty good.

Yeah. Guess I was kinda implying that. Don't know what about Devin doesn't make him a "legit big man". He's the same size as lots of dominant big men in the ACC in the last 10 years

You mean height wise? Because I would be very happy/surprised if either Moore or Collins is as productive as Devin right away next year.
I mean legit center, not a 6'8 guy playing center. He's got the athleticism and agility to develop a nice face up game if he ever gets the chance.

Wilbekin/Hudson/Thomas are a combined 0-12 with Wilbekin 0-6. His stroke looks pretty good but he couldn't buy one in the first half. That combined with some awful soft defense and Iona making 7 3's is the story.

Iona got crushed by Wofford freaking Wofford. It seems like every team can find a shooter but us in bball and every team can find a running game but us in football.

Delaware State only down 15 to Arkansas mid second half. We were down 25 at the same point. We play mighty Delaware State next week.

Damn, leave for a little while and come back to find us down 8, and missing our last 9 3pt shots after opening 4-4....

Hope DM "mans" them up at HT.....

Surely we can't shoot 27% in the 2nd half too......:confused:

Yeah. Guess I was kinda implying that. Don't know what about Devin doesn't make him a "legit big man". He's the same size as lots of dominant big men in the ACC in the last 10 years

Yep. KJ McDaniels comes to mind. Obviously Devin isn't as good but it's not odd for a 6'7" player to dominate inside in the ACC.

At least 3 of their starters/best scorers have 2 fouls...need to work on that in the 2nd half.....

I know little to nothing about coaching basketball, but why is it that apparently none of the coaches we've had in a while can teach teach the team how to beat a zone? It seems even back to Skip all a team had to do was play zone and we look clueless. As far as I know, you can either shoot over it or work a play with a man near the foul line who looks for a cutter at the baseline or some variation on that. Surely someone else knows other/better plays, but what gives?
One of the best ways to beat a zone is quick passes from one side of the court to the other so that the defense doesn't have time to react to the ball movement. WF is doing this pretty well but you've got to have the players to make the defense respect the outside shot or the defense will just sag down like Iona is doing. It all goes back to what someone said before, WF desperately needs a shooter or two. It's been a long time since WF had a legit one.

You can also run a guy at the foul line against a 2-3 but once again it requires outside shooters since a lot of the time you're trying to draw one of the two guys up top in to open up a guy on the wing. Can also try to draw one of the bottom guys up but that's harder to beat if the other two guys down low fill in properly.

Last edited:
Back