• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ISPs in the Triad

redwing42

Reaction score
I currently have Bellsouth for my DSL access, but I'm exploring other options for internet service so that I can drop my home phone. I know about TWC, but I'm currently locked into a DirecTV contract, and don't really want to switch from them. Anyone have any good recommendations?

Last edited:
I think direct TV uses att/bellsouth for their internet and you aren't required to have a phone.

Yeah, you can keep DSL through BellSouth without the phone. That is what have.

You can do Roadrunner without TWC. I don't love Roadrunner, but it's not terrible.

30 bones a month for Roadrunner only, pretty fast where I'm at too

You pay a premium for Roadrunner if you don't have cable through them, but I'm happy with the service since they upped the speeds last year (I get about 13/1 down/up). I would actually consider one of the 4G services if I wasn't worried about gaming ping times.

I currently have Bellsouth for my DSL access, but I'm exploring other options for internet service so that I can drop my home phone. I know about TWC, but I'm currently locked into a DirecTV contract, and don't really want to switch from them. Anyone have any good recommendations?

The correct acronym is ISP (Internet Service Provider) There would probably be more responses to this thread if you changed the title.

Road Runner is pretty hit or miss depending on how saturated your neighborhood is. The more people with TWC in your area, the more inconsistent your speeds will be. I watched my speeds go from 20 to around 7 Mbps when they built a couple dozen new homes in my neighborhood.

Road Runner is pretty hit or miss depending on how saturated your neighborhood is. The more people with TWC in your area, the more inconsistent your speeds will be. I watched my speeds go from 20 to around 7 Mbps when they built a couple dozen new homes in my neighborhood.

This, big time. Also, Time Warner is known to give out shitty refurbished modem/routers to new installations, and only bring new units for complaints. I had TW at my apartment 3 times before finally getting a new unit. Time Warner sucks hard, but I don't know of a cable company that doesn't.

Back