• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

IT professionals in SF

Get an agile certification while you're searching if you haven't already.

If you want IT Visa seems like a decent place to work. For somewhere in between the tech giants and IT is ServiceSource. They are launching an open ended project for software for recurring billing. Then of course are the big dogs like Google, Facebook, etc. Those jobs are a bit of a crapshoot as the are obtained via an algorithm quiz bowl or by knowing someone with hiring influence. If u want to PM me with more details on what u r looking for, I can offer up more details.

If you want IT Visa seems like a decent place to work. For somewhere in between the tech giants and IT is ServiceSource. They are launching an open ended project for software for recurring billing. Then of course are the big dogs like Google, Facebook, etc. Those jobs are a bit of a crapshoot as the are obtained via an algorithm quiz bowl or by knowing someone with hiring influence. If u want to PM me with more details on what u r looking for, I can offer up more details.

I'm actually working on contract for Visa right now on V.me. It's been very nice so far compared to my last job at a startup. At a startup you can expect to be paid 20-30% under market and worked 50-60 hours a week. At Visa, the max I'm allowed to work is 40 hours a week, and I'm making 60% more than I was before. The work is at least as interesting. The downside is a lot of corporate bullshit that comes with working for a large company. Google Talk and a lot of useful websites are blocked by the corporate firewall, I wasn't given admin access to my iMac, entering timesheets, lots of layers of "senior managers" making technology decisions that they know nothing about, etc. However, I'd take less hours and more pay with some corporate bullshit any day over spending most of my Saturdays working for peanuts (especially per hour) on some kind of misguided hope that I'll be part of the 5% of startups whose stock options one day simply make up for the difference in current value that I would have been paid at a larger company--much less make me a millionaire or something. Suffice it to say that I will never be working for a startup again, unless I am one of the founders.

i fucking hate agile

Interesting... Speaking from experience? Because Agile is absolutely dominating almost every facet of development right now... Personally I might label it the best innovation this side of hardware virtualization so far during my career.

Certs in general are overrated for anything but government work, but you can't call up a California dev shop running agile projects and expect a call back without some type of agile experience. And if you want to drop Dev work for Ops or Architecture one day you should know Kanban.

i was on a financial systems implementation back east at a PE firm that did agile, and it was frustrating. granted as i've worked through some other PM regiments i've gained appreciation for a few aspects of it. the biggest positive i saw was the accountability aspect. the constant meetings were annoying and it felt like creating pm duties to create pm duties. i generally hate pm though.

I'm actually working on contract for Visa right now on V.me. It's been very nice so far compared to my last job at a startup. At a startup you can expect to be paid 20-30% under market and worked 50-60 hours a week. At Visa, the max I'm allowed to work is 40 hours a week, and I'm making 60% more than I was before. The work is at least as interesting. The downside is a lot of corporate bullshit that comes with working for a large company. Google Talk and a lot of useful websites are blocked by the corporate firewall, I wasn't given admin access to my iMac, entering timesheets, lots of layers of "senior managers" making technology decisions that they know nothing about, etc. However, I'd take less hours and more pay with some corporate bullshit any day over spending most of my Saturdays working for peanuts (especially per hour) on some kind of misguided hope that I'll be part of the 5% of startups whose stock options one day simply make up for the difference in current value that I would have been paid at a larger company--much less make me a millionaire or something. Suffice it to say that I will never be working for a startup again, unless I am one of the founders.

my friends that have gone from google/etc. to startups are the exact opposite. weird. i wonder if it's because they cut their teeth for bigger companies, so they're higher up at startups or something.

my friends that have gone from google/etc. to startups are the exact opposite. weird. i wonder if it's because they cut their teeth for bigger companies, so they're higher up at startups or something.

Google is also known for having no work life balance, so I imagine that part wouldn't be much different. However, startups just don't have that much cash. They prefer compensation in stock options. You are going to cap out at around $150-170k at a startup in salary. However, I've seen engineers earning $250-$300k+ in salary alone at Google, Netflix, Cisco, etc.

A friend of mine dates one of those hotshot engineers, and he's a huge dick. Nobody likes him. Makes bank, though.

i was on a financial systems implementation back east at a PE firm that did agile, and it was frustrating. granted as i've worked through some other PM regiments i've gained appreciation for a few aspects of it. the biggest positive i saw was the accountability aspect. the constant meetings were annoying and it felt like creating pm duties to create pm duties. i generally hate pm though.

Usually PM's hate Agile because it gives so much power to the developers.

Either way, a report I saw recently put the percentage of new IT development projects incorporating Agile techniques at 88%. 3 years ago it was 25%.

This is my second time going through a waterfall-to-agile conversion for a big project and the results have been incredibly positive in both instances. Even government is racing to switch everything over.

Back