• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ITS BEEN REAL

Not sure. I don't think it is, but I had 2 groups of friends ask me to pledge to 2 different frats and to this day I have never seen the point. Anyone who you actually ask the point, of joining a frat, in my experience does 1 of 2 things.

1) Honestly explains that it's basically just a way to pool money for organizing parties and getting laid.
2) Gets very defensive and insults you. So far this one is the predominant response here as shown by my multiple neg reps.

Also, much like the Jersey Shore folks in South Park, you cannot convince these individuals that you had no desire to be part of their group; they always assume you think they are awesome and you wanted to be in but couldn't get in.

I still see it as a designed method to exclude people, which I've never felt was a good idea. The original Greek fraternities were formed with defined purposes, which I think if that were the case would be really cool. They also seem like veiled attempts at classism in some cases today.

Again, maybe I should put it in another thread and not bog down your adios thread, but I'd be interested in hearing what the point is?

So dagreekdeac is Aristotle "Greek", and not Sigma Chi "Greek"?

Fraternities are simply parent-sponsored drinking clubs to facilitate fornicating with naive freshmen. Sounds like quite the noble endeavor to me.

whoever that poe's rep is from, i love you. lol.

Fraternities are simply parent-sponsored drinking clubs to facilitate fornicating with naive freshmen. Sounds like quite the noble endeavor to me.

hmmm. Hadn't considered the fact you are getting your parents to pay for it. Valid point. Still, they always spend the money on shit beer.

If someone's already naive, how much facilitation is needed? But yeah, we're on the same page. That's what I see them as.

should use the monies on star trek themed parties i guess.

open poll on which frats everyone was in (or wasn't)? i'd be interested.

I only have 6 neg reps ever, 4 of them from this thread.

txqEN.jpg

Question to the butthurt express:

u-mad-bro.jpg

almost as lame as an unprovoked tirade about something you (admittedly) dont understand.

You really are clueless, i'm not saying that in a defensive way or even a "what's wrong with you, you dumbass" way. You weren't in a fraternity, so you don't know. I know that sounds cliche, but it's true. I wouldn't expect anyone that hasn't been in one to know, I didn't until I went through it.

....I also don't mean to sound like I'm talking down, I'm just trying to get across that it really does take being in a fraternity, and going through the pledging process in order to understand what it's all about.....or to at least appreciate what it's all about.

Last edited:
almost as lame as an unprovoked tirade about something you (admittedly) dont understand.

Fair enough, unprovoked tirade is pretty lame. Open to enlightenment and offered to open a different thread.

You really are clueless, i'm not saying that in a defensive way or even a "what's wrong with you, you dumbass" way. You weren't in a fraternity, so you don't know. I know that sounds cliche, but it's true. I wouldn't expect anyone that hasn't been in one to know, I didn't until I went through it.

....I also don't mean to sound like I'm talking down, I'm just trying to get across that it really does take being in a fraternity, and going through the pledging process in order to understand what it's all about.....or to at least appreciate what it's all about.

wtf is there "to know"?

(secret handshake)

I accept that response. I always have fallen in the camp that if the logic/purpose/benefit of something can't be articulated, it's probably not there. So, that would lead to an impasse. But I hear you. It's still akin to "you just know" in my mind, which again, I just don't buy.

you learn a lot about your fellow brothers pounding geeds and brawling with rival frats.

I played Rugby for 4 years in Europe. I'm guessing the experience is similar i.e. a group of friends to drink/party with. I enjoyed it when it was centered around an actual activity and i didn't have to pay for it. Also there was some bonding aspect in hitting people as a group i.e. bleeding together. I'm guessing though that you're not actually being serious.

you learn a lot about your fellow brothers pounding geeds and brawling with rival frats.

Ok I can concede this. It's just systematic, somewhat compulsory socializing. It exists throughout all of life. I was never in one for a few reasons: 1) I don't like other people telling me what to do. 2) I prefer to socialize in smaller groups. 3) I was an athlete freshman year and intended to be the rest of my college years 4) I had a gf my first 3 years of college and didn't feel like I needed help getting random pussy.

I have no problem with them though and had it not been for 3 and 4 I would have likely rushed

Back