• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jailbreaking an AppleTV - XBMC AddOn Recommendations?

DCDeac

Reaction score
So I've had an AppleTV sitting around collecting dust for a while and thought I'd take a shot at jailbreaking it. It's something I'd looked into doing a while back but the solution wasn't that mature and the whole thing was pretty much a pain in the ass.

This time around the jailbreak was simple and the new XBMC Eden with plugins and such is pretty sweet. I imagine it's the same across other devices like Roku's and whatnot. I especially like the Hulu app that allows you to select how many ads you want to see (with zero being an option).

Anyone else using an AppleTV with XBMC and some good AddOns they can recommend? There are like a million of them and so far I've only checked out IceFilms and Hulu.

I've heard a lot of good things about Icefilms and 1channel. I don't have an Apple TV so this is just second hand information.

Can you find an NFL Sunday Ticket app on it once it is jailbroken?

I haven't seen this - but there are a bunch of live tv and sports streams available so maybe certain games are available?

So for anyone curious, the Apple TV 1 and 2 (the 3 has sadly not been jailbroken yet) are basically just little Unix servers running a version of Apple's iOS. By themselves they've historically been fairly useless unless you were really into the whole iTunes thing.

For example, you get your shiny new AppleTV and try to play a movie you may have ripped from a DVD/Blu Ray or downloaded from another source - but it's not in iTunes format or it's on a Windows share or something. Or you want to watch a Hulu show you can see on your computer but the Hulu version has it locked out.

By jailbreaking it with a program called SeasonPass (might be other methods as well) you can install a few super-nerd programs, the best of which is XBMC (media center). As the name implies, it was originally the Xbox media player back when people were modding the first Xbox's, now it's a nicely developed universal Media Player. It supports just about every format imaginable, can stream from almost anywhere (windows shares, samba, nfs, NAS, etc.) and has a plugin library that is pretty huge. But it's kinda like the library of Wii games - for every one awesome plugin there are like 25 crap ones.

But there's some cool stuff on there. Icefilms has all kinds of stuff - connected and picked "new releases" and there was a 720p stream of Looper for example. Obviously some of the content is flaky and some of the stream quality cab be mediocre. But there's a lot of promise, and the aTV3 jailbreak should be done soon, so there could be a lot of cool stuff on the way. For the super lazy there's even a pay software package that sets up a similar solution for you called Firecore (who also makes SeasonPass).

Firecore: http://firecore.com/

XBMCHub: http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/category/hardware/atv/

Best collection of HowTo's and info I've found: http://www.appletvhacks.net/

The basic steps are:

1) Jailbreak atv using SeasonPass
2) Run the latest XBMCHub installer to put XBMC and Nito on your ATV
3) Go to the XBMC settings in your ATV and add repositories - this will cause long lists of AddOns to appear in each heading on your ATV and you can pick the ones you want. The easiest way to do this is to use the online "Fusion" http link which has lots of repositories sorted by folders.

For those of you looking to ditch cable/satellite I would think this would be a pretty decent piece of the solution.

I jailbroke mine a couple of weekends ago, TwitchTV is cool if you're into gaming (though I had to update the video codec). We also like the HGTV and Food Network streams. I'm having some errors with Hulu (non-Plus) though, so I'm still fiddling with it.

I just set XBMC up on an old pc I threw together from some spare stuff lying around. Can't wait to get around to messing with it and finding all the best addons. I think the only useful one I'd really set up was a free cable one from the bluecop repo. Defs need to check out the Icefilms/1Channel as well when I can. Had some issues with the netflix addon, so not sure if there is anything that works with now. Same goes for the ESPN3 addon I tried too.

Yeah, I started off with a bad Hulu repository listing, but the Fusion link hooked me up.

What can this do that a roku cannot?

Back