• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jeffrey's Legacy; Or How The Lunatic Fringe Destroyed A Once Proud Basketball Program

Reaction score
Dear Deacon Demon Family:

Although my media people strongly advised me not to publish this open letter, I am ignoring their advice. Ronald Wellman goes with his gut, and my gut tells me to share my thoughts with you. Had I listened to my people late last week, I would not have won that press conference.

Most of you don't know the Jeffrey I know. A minority of you criticized my decision to hire him in 2010. A few looked at his win/loss record at Colorado, and dared to question my judgment. MY JUDGMENT!

I'd like to get this out of the way right up front. I've heard the rumors about my mental faculties after my--you know--tandem bike accident. Those comments reflect poorly on the Wake Forest Community. I do not appreciate the fact that some of you have been speculating that my post-traumatic stress has impacted my decision-making. I stand by my decision to hire Jeffrey. It was the right decision then, and it would be the right decision now.

Unfortunately, despite my every effort and enticement to persuade Jeffrey to continue as the Deacon Demon basketball coach, he insisted on resigning--just as we stood on the precipice of greatness next season--because he deemed it in the best interests of the Wake Forest Family. It hurt me like I've never been hurt before to accept Jeffrey's selfless resignation, but sometimes in life we are forced to do things we find unpleasant.

In the end, I fear the lunatic fringe broke Jeffrey's spirit. I won't name names, but the culprits know who they are. And I suspect most of us know where they can be found. Although Jeffrey never looked at the internet or read any press about the team, I did. And what I read on this puerile website were some of the meanest and cruelest attacks ever leveled at such a decent and kind man. A great man. And I will caution you lunatics that you have made my coaching search extremely difficult. Shaka Smart has told me directly that he would never coach at a school with such a nasty fan base. Keep it up and I may be forced--happily--to rehire Jeffrey.

Of course, to understand Jeffrey fully, you had to dig deeper. And I did. I surely did. I prodded. I poked. I probed Jeffrey with length and depth. And what did I find when all my prodding, poking and probing was done? An honest man. A man of integrity and dignity. A man who cared for his players and whose players--to a man--cared very much for him. What is Jeffrey's legacy at this great University? What should it be? What are they gonna say about him? What are they gonna say? That he was a kind man? That he was a wise man? That he had plans, man? That he had wisdom? Cow manure, man!

Jeffrey [Redacted] is the greatest man and coach I've ever known. That man did everything that was asked of him! He met my every expectation and goal, and he did it with class and dignity. Heavens yes, DIGNITY! I only hope and pray that when this dignified man lands his next head coaching position--and HEAVENs YES he will--he will be given a fair chance to recruit his type of players, coach them up with his uncanny Xs and Os acumen and show a more appreciative fan base the true depths of his basketball genius.

Fare thee well, Jeffrey, fare thee well.

http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/files/2014/03/[Redacted]-and-ref.jpg

Go Deacs!

Ronald Wellman
Director of Athletics
Lake Forest University

Back