• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe to Army?

I think Jim Grobe is familiar with what it takes to coach at a military academy and if he takes the job at one will do great.

It's been 19 years since he coached at an academy. He was in his late 30s/early 40s then. He may be familiar, it's reasonable to ask if he has what it takes.

I don't think that is right. I had several friends in high school who were actively recruited by the service academies for basketball. They weren't planning on going there, at least not seriously, until they were recruited. One of them got blown up, but hey, at least he got to start for 4 years instead of ride the pine at a high major.
lol whelp, I was off on that one.

It's been 19 years since he coached at an academy. He was in his late 30s/early 40s then. He may be familiar, it's reasonable to ask if he has what it takes.

Reasonable to ask and I'm sure that if Grobe is considered for a military academy, that question will be asked and answered. I stand by my statement. If Grobe is hired by a military academy he will do great.

Army could do a lot worse. Jim coaches for three or four years and then passes the reins to his boy Steed.

Are you fucking serious Clark? Why would you wish this shitty existence on our future military heroes?

No way this combo gets hired by anybody trying to win anything, at any level. I wouldn't hire this pair to coach a HS team.

Grobe lost 3 of the last 4 times he played Navy.

That probably won't impress the hiring committee at West Point.

Yeah, i'm with PH on this one. I wouldn't exactly call being an assistant at Air Force 20 years ago extensive work with regards to service academies. I don't think West Point will be going this way. I think he'd be a good fit, but it won't be Jim Grobe.

Grobe lost 3 of the last 4 times he played Navy.

That probably won't impress the hiring committee at West Point.

Ouch. Thread over.

Originally Posted by 2&2 Slider To Leyritz

I don't think that is right. I had several friends in high school who were actively recruited by the service academies for basketball. They weren't planning on going there, at least not seriously, until they were recruited. One of them got blown up, but hey, at least he got to start for 4 years instead of ride the pine at a high major.

lol whelp, I was off on that one.

They are able to recruit, but they have to juggle meeting military physical fitness standards (ie, PT tests, height weight, etc) when it comes time for comissioning. IIRC, West Point is not as lax as Air Force and Navy (a gripe I've heard from a number of Pointers I've run across in the army) when it comes to looking the other way on meeting the standard. Comes in to play when you try and recruit the big uglies. It's much easier to use a 300lb lineman in the Navy than it is the Army...esp when you look at a guy wanting to go Infantry or Armor...try pulling a 300lb lineman out of a burning tank or Bradley...it ain't happening. Now, put his fat ass on anyting but a submarine? Too easy...

GO ARMY!

It looks like Army would want to look at the Ga. Southern coach, he runs the option offense and has had really good success at the FCS level for awhile now.

Are you fucking serious Clark? Why would you wish this shitty existence on our future military heroes?

No way this combo gets hired by anybody trying to win anything, at any level. I wouldn't hire this pair to coach a HS team.

That's kinda ridiculous. Grobe took two dead programs and turned them into competitive programs.

I would think his nepotism and misguided loyalty to his assistants would work against him just about everywhere.

Originally Posted by 2&2 Slider To Leyritz

Comes in to play when you try and recruit the big uglies. It's much easier to use a 300lb lineman in the Navy than it is the Army...esp when you look at a guy wanting to go Infantry or Armor...try pulling a 300lb lineman out of a burning tank or Bradley...it ain't happening. Now, put his fat ass on anyting but a submarine? Too easy...

GO ARMY!

Fat people float better... makes sense.

It must be asked...Jim Grobe to The Citadel?

Back