• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Oliver's Last Week Tonight Segment on the NCAA

top level college programs dangle the impossible dream of professional athletics to kids to 'volunteer' their labor. also, people like to play sports b/c they're fun and make you popular.

The money part of it is disgraceful and there should be real value in exchange for what the athletes deliver to the school, but this angle is hard not to factor in. How many of the fat, slow, uncoordinated schlubs on this Board---in addition to me----would have given five years off of their lives to play basketball in the ACC, even if they knew that the NBA would never know their name?

schools need to give student-athletes a real education. we need guaranteed scholarships. if players aren't able to perform b/c they got hurt, they should still have to work for the team/program. athletes that are used to advertise for games and events (and their jersey sales) deserve some small compensation that is regulated. the NCAA needs an overhaul of staff.

The money part of it is disgraceful and there should be real value in exchange for what the athletes deliver to the school, but this angle is hard not to factor in. How many of the fat, slow, uncoordinated schlubs on this Board---in addition to me----would have given five years off of their lives to play basketball in the ACC, even if they knew that the NBA would never know their name?

Schools wouldn't make as much money if fat schulbs were playing.

I resent being called uncoordinated.

I'm sure it's been discussed, but what was Napier's argument for not being able to get enough food from his provided, UConn's maximum, meal plan?

Last edited:
I'm sure it's been discussed, but what was Napier's argument for not being able to get enough food from his provided, UConn's maximum, meal plan?

My guess is that its bullshit. He probably missed dinner and was hungry at night when the cafeteria was closed.

The report said the cafeteria closed at 7pm daily. That would suck.

My guess is that its bullshit. He probably missed dinner and was hungry at night when the cafeteria was closed.

Nine guys on the UCONN football > 290.

Reports of the Great Famine may be a bit exaggerated.

The report said the cafeteria closed at 7pm daily. That would suck.

The Pit closed at 7pm when I was there. The Snack Pit was open until 11pm though. I would think UConn had a similar deal. Also, there was probably nothing keeping Napier from grabbing a bunch of food from the cafeteria and throwing it in his dorm fridge. If he didn't have a fridge, he could have picked up some fruit, chips, etc to keep in his room.

I agree with Gable.

I'm not saying it wasn't melodramatic - I don't believe for a second that Napier was starving like some refugee in Somalia. But I do think that having no money, and not really being allowed to get any money, could leave you in the occasional "shit, it's late, oh well fuck it" scenario.

At Wake when the Pit closed and Benson was down to cold shitty tenders and fries, I lived off of food from off-campus. Sure I could have picked up fruit to have in my room and so could he, but that's not really the point when there's an entity making millions off you. You're under the lights, on tv, every single thing you touch is sponsored and generating cash for someone else. It's pretty fucked up.

Yeah if Napier went hungry it was on him.

"If you live off campus and your grant-in-aid includes meals, you may use your stipend to purchase an on-campus meal plan. ... This will entitle you to eat in any of the facilities," the handbook states.

Phil Chardis, a spokesman for UConn athletics, issued a statement to that effect, telling CNN that "Napier, like all our scholarship athletes, is provided the maximum meal plan that is allowable under NCAA rules. UConn does not have a cafeteria devoted specifically to student-athletes, but they have access to the same cafeterias which are available to all our students."

#TeamNapier

a list of impermissible benefits being handed down & enforced by the NCAA is such a hilariously absurd and over-reaching concept. put me in the camp who anxiously awaits a viable alternative for schools to jump towards.

here's your rational list:

is it legal?
is it supported/condoned by your institution?

if yes, then screw it. this is how the world works (to everybody not affiliated with the ncaa). capitalism/econ will do a way better job of policing long term than some financially minded sanctioning body.

So, maybe we should make it truly amateur. Coaches are volunteers, too.

So, maybe we should make it truly amateur. Coaches are volunteers, too.

i actually think taking the money out of the higher rings of the circus would be amazingly effective.

successful 'amateur' coaches would still get their pockets lined by folks with no official connections to the school.

i just despise the system as it currently exists. having guys like Boeheim (who I actually like) try to defend the exploitation of 'student-athletes' while taking the salaries they do is so laughable.

I guess I understand the NCAA's logic behind it, but I still think it's lame you can't profit off your own image - but the school and the NCAA can.

...or more specifically that individuals that work for the NCAA and the schools can to such a ridiculous extent. Again, if this is amateur and for the benefit of the student athletes, it needs to stop being so extravagantly profitable for everyone but the players. Regardless of how everything else shakes out, the NCAA and schools need to recommit to providing that education. If they are serious about amateurism and student-athletes and want to artificially subject participants to restrictions on income outside of the free market, coaches and AD administrators can be paid on par with their colleagues in other departments, like at the HS level. That extra money (directly from competition like TV and tickets) can go back into the student-athlete experience, as it relates to their education and maturation. Money from donations can go for things more geared to the fan experience.
Of course, this beast long ago broke out of any cage of restraint, integrity or fairness. None of the above is realistic.

UCLA just signed a $280-million shoe and apparel deal, the biggest in NCAA history

550x309

Bruins QB Josh Rosen tells it like it is regarding UCLA's new Under Armour deal

I like that dude. By the way, that shoe deal could fund 1,244 $15,000 stipends a year. I'm guessing UCLA has far fewer student-athletes than that.

How much do we have to PAY to wear a brand? Or do they just leave the logo off and be like...uhhhhh thanks?

Back