• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jose heading towards NYC

That euro model is an absolute fucking nightmare

How are they going to evacuate the west coast on time?

I really hope everything turns out alright down there, but this isn't something that I would be stubborn about (and it's not given that I am leaving Charleston in a few hours to go north).

Hard to evacuate when there's no gas.

Also not everyone is as lucky as you to have an easy way to evacuate.

That euro model is an absolute fucking nightmare

How are they going to evacuate the west coast on time?

there's a good chance the panic associated with a mandatory evacuation (given the south Floridians already on the roads) could cause more deaths than whatever category Irma ends up being when it gets to the western peninsula

there's a good chance the panic associated with a mandatory evacuation (given the south Floridians already on the roads) could cause more deaths than whatever category Irma ends up being when it gets to the western peninsula

it would be getting to the west at the exact time as it gets to the east

i was referring to the population center of Tampa-St. Pete; Irma will not bring hurricane force winds there at the same time as Miami, and according to the model will have the eye over land (and therefore weakening) before hurricane-force winds hit

My company finally agreed that me flying to Sarasota on Monday is probably not a good idea and canceled my trip.

i was referring to the population center of Tampa-St. Pete; Irma will not bring hurricane force winds there at the same time as Miami, and according to the model will have the eye over land (and therefore weakening) before hurricane-force winds hit

St. Pete (Pinellas Co.) already ordered evacuations of high likelihood storm surge areas. Nothing yet from Tampa (Hillsborough Co.). Roads out of the area are slammed.

Mandatory evacuations from low lying areas and places that will have large storm surges seems to be the appropriate steps. After that everyone else should seek shelter within area, the problem being that for some reason in the United States there is no plan for this. You don't need 10 million people fleeing the state of Florida for Georgia, you need places for those people to go within area.

St. Pete (Pinellas Co.) already ordered evacuations of high likelihood storm surge areas. Nothing yet from Tampa (Hillsborough Co.). Roads out of the area are slammed.

The people heading my way left the Tampa area around 6pm yesterday. Took them 8 hours to get out of Florida due to traffic and couldn't find hotel rooms (slept in their cars in a rest area). I'm expecting their arrival in 30 minutes.

Their advice is to avoid the interstates in Florida

Official Hurricane Irma Thread (Category 5 Monster 175 MPH winds)

My sister and brother in law took back roads to get from 75 to 95. Took them about 5 hours.

The latest NOAA projection is closer to the Euro projection. It looks really bad.

If the model goes straight up Florida into GA evacuating coastal SC/GA inland is going to be a huge mistake.

Cancel Hurricane, Let Lou Gossett Jr run evacuations.

Looking at Google maps with the traffic layer on: Miami/Ft Lauderdale and Tampa Bay roads are totally green right now, which has to be a first time for 5:45PM. The FL Turnpike looks like a mess, as does 75 from where the Turnpike hits it all the way up into GA. 95 starts getting dicey around Daytona Beach.

If the model goes straight up Florida into GA evacuating coastal SC/GA inland is going to be a huge mistake.

Which is why evacuating from FL is probably a bad move unless you're just flying out of the south.

Took my sister and BIL 7.5 hours to get to GA from the Tampa Airport.

Yeah, I'm on Hilton Head right now in case my parents have to leave. They were planning on leaving sometime tomorrow but with the new track, probably going to go into wait & see mode for the time being. The SC Governor was planning on ordering an evacuation Saturday morning, but if this path continues, I imagine he'll reconsider it.

Georgia was already telling it's coastal people to leave before the 5pm storm path update, which is definitely going to hurt 95 traffic as that's the only road for coastal GA (excluding smaller, less known roads), unless you get on 16 towards Macon/ATL in Savannah. I guess the Georgia areas near FL probably would be wise to consider leaving but telling SAV to get out probably won't help right now.

Last edited:
I have a wedding in Key Largo in two weeks that I'm really looking forward to. Guess that isn't happening.

It may be hard to find Key Largo in two weeks, let alone hold a wedding there.

My boss who lives in Orlando just posted that Brevard County issued mandatory evacuation.

She was supposed to fly out to Vegas for our big event on Saturday but may be staying with her family.

Back