• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Judge approves $60 million EA Sports video games settlement

Dallas33

Reaction score
A judge granted approval a $60 million settlement of several class-action lawsuits relating to video game makers using the names, images and likenesses of college football and men's college basketball players.

U.S. District Judge Claudia Wilken approved a $60 million payment to the players on Thursday and said that any student-athlete who wants in on the claim must file by July 31. Objectors to the settlement have 30 days to appeal once Wilken finalizes the approval.

“It's a landmark day,” an attorney for the plaintiffs, Steve Berman said to USA Today. “It's the first time student-athletes will get paid for use of their name, image and likeness—and we’re anxious to get the settlement funds to the students.”

More than 20,000 claims were filed by original July 2 deadline and some players will receive a maximum of $7,200, which can be handed out as early as September, depending on the pace of the appeals

LINK TO THE STORY

Hopefully we can get our college sports games back once a compensation model is created.

That's great news on all fronts.

What about the front where we get another NCAA game?

I am not sure how this is good news if it means there are no more NCAA video games because the NCAA won't allow EA to pay players. Maybe this helps move that discussion along so they can pay without litigation. Also, with 20,000 claims I am not sure sure where $7,200 comes from unless that is for the guys on the cover and everyone else gets 50 cents.

Awesome now lawyers are going to get paid big by exploiting student athletes, and the athletes still won't get shit!

Awesome now lawyers are going to get paid big by exploiting student athletes, and the athletes still won't get shit!

ZgnbSG4.jpg

I am not sure how this is good news if it means there are no more NCAA video games because the NCAA won't allow EA to pay players. Maybe this helps move that discussion along so they can pay without litigation. Also, with 20,000 claims I am not sure sure where $7,200 comes from unless that is for the guys on the cover and everyone else gets 50 cents.

Not every player will get equal share.

The older games (pre 2006), didn't pay out as much. I guess less of a likeness? And whether you were on the game 1, 2, 3, or 4 years mattered. Some players filing the suit could have been on a 2002 game, one year, and may only receive 90$. While a 2007-2010 player will probably get closer to that 7,200 mark.

So any payout if EA and the NCAA continued the franchise would be around $1,800 a year a player, $12-13 million total.

So any payout if EA and the NCAA continued the franchise would be around $1,800 a year a player, $12-13 million total.

They are planning on continuing from what I've seen, but they're going to really rely on people using the roster share feature to update stats, numbers, faces, names, etc...

That means no more payouts

EA made 80 million on the football game the last year and offered to pay the players but the NCAA said no. When the power 5 conferences meet this fall they will vote on the compensation model going forward. Then ncaa will have little power to block out it. So EA paying 15 million a year is still a nice profit.

They are planning on continuing from what I've seen, but they're going to really rely on people using the roster share feature to update stats, numbers, faces, names, etc...

That means no more payouts

Yeah. That's what they should have done for last year but I think there was a problem with licensing the schools. I expect the packaged product to be bland and a highly specialized roster to leak soon after the game comes out.

Yeah. That's what they should have done for last year but I think there was a problem with licensing the schools. I expect the packaged product to be bland and a highly specialized roster to leak soon after the game comes out.

On the bright side, that's less space taken up by players, so graphics and game improvements could improve

On the bright side, that's less space taken up by players, so graphics and game improvements could improve

I don't think space will be an issue on the next gen systems I have games over 70 gigs currently. But it will take two years to build a game from scratch on the next gens since they got rid of the entire development team. NBA 2k16 will have college teams in special carrer modes next year so it seems the team hurdle is out of the way we just need a player compensation model.

2K Sports has the license for some colleges

Yeah, the first step is establishing the players' value. Then let public sentiment against the NCAA, and the allure of profits after compensating players fairly take hold. After a while, they're going to have to realize they are just being stupid and stubborn.

Back