• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kam Uter - pick #369 MLB Draft

Uter was considered a baseball signee as well so Clawson apparently approved Uter to miss Spring football.

We got unlucky. He is probably their last aggressive sign. Dodgers went 500k over slot on first round pick but basically saved 400k on picks 6-10, so Uter accounts for half their overage right now.

Good luck to Kam.

Good for him. Just wish he wouldn't waste all that athleticism by being a pitcher. Best of luck. Maybe he will play football for us in a few years.

fyi

Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisMLB 11m
12th-rder Kam Uter signs w/@Dodgers for $200k. Georgia HS RHP/Wake Forest WR recruit, 6-4/205, 92-94 fastball, athletic. @MLBDraft

Good luck to him. Not sure I would have made the same choice, but hope it works out for him.

Russell Wilson played a year at State and a year at Wisconsin after he signed with the Rockies for $200K.
http://www.insidetherockies.com/2010/06/19/rockies-agree-to-terms-with-no-4-pick/

I guess it's up to Uter, the Dodgers, his family, and the coaching staff what he wants to do. I'm sure the staff was looking to get him on the field this year.

Out of curiosity, how does this work? Did he ever play for the Rockies organization? Did he actually receive the 200k?

Could Uter play football etc., even go to the NFL, but if he ever wanted to play baseball, the Dodgers would own his rights?

I didn't comment on this when he was drafted because I just assumed he wasn't going to sign as a 12th rounder and give up a full ride to Wake. Damn.

I didn't comment on this when he was drafted because I just assumed he wasn't going to sign as a 12th rounder and give up a full ride to Wake. Damn.

Unfortunately, a full ride at Wake cost more than $200K.

I think there is a chance a kid who was down to Wake and Vandy may still make it to college.

such a wake forest thing to happen

at least now we're getting talented enough guys that things like this occur

Unfortunately, a full ride at Wake cost more than $200K.

That's what surprises me. I wasn't expecting him to sign for something less than the value of his scholarship. Dude must really like baseball.

That's what surprises me. I wasn't expecting him to sign for something less than the value of his scholarship. Dude must really like baseball.

He will get 200K in cash, plus 200K in money for college.

This doesn't automatically preclude him from playing football. It would preclude him from taking part in spring practice (as well as putting a pretty big strain on him trying to keep eligible).

We're probably screwed, but its not official yet.

I talked to my buddy who used to be a scout for Padres and Dbacks. He said "this happens every now and again. He would bet on Uter showing up on campus this fall. A lot of times, teams draft elite athletes just to retain their rights, knowing they are going to be a 2 sport guy. The dodgers can defer some of his signing bonus if he decides to play football, so that the full 200K doesn't count against their signings this year. Jake Locker was another guy that was drafted and signed by Angels, but never player for them and went to school. It's possible Uter loves baseball a lot more than football and just doesn't come to wake. But not very likely, and he made a good decision to put a little money in his pocket if he didn't anticipate having an elite career in baseball and wanted to get an education"

ETA, the limit is usually around 100K for a high school prospect after the 10th round. If you pay him more, you lose a pick in a future draft. The dodgers wouldn't chance losing a pick for a guy that wouldn't show up. Unless 100K was deferred. so either, he has 200K and we might lose him, OR, what my buddy thinks, is the second 100K is deferred until he shows up.

Last edited:
Thanks, SDeacz.

Would love to be wrong, but I doubt his contract allows him to enroll at WF this Fall. He will play rookie-league ball this Summer, and that season does not end until Labor Day (almost a month after fall camp starts). Then, the Dodgers will have instructional league in late September and October, and as an above-slot bonus guy, he will likely get that invite.

The best case scenario for WF is that he washes out in baseball over the next two years, and then decides to play football. BTW, at that time, Uter would be able to sign to play football at any NCAA school as his LOI was only to enroll for the 2014-2015 school year. While I would expect WF to be in the mix, we would need to recruit him again.

The Russell Wilson and Kyle Parker situations have no bearing here. Both of those players signed baseball contracts after their junior year in college. At that time, both were starting QBs with at least a shot at the NFL, as a result, the Rockies agreed to accommodate them by limiting their baseball time from MLB draft day until Fall Practice started (and then again the next Spring). Uter signed out of HS; very much doubt that he has the same option to leave baseball to play football at the end of July. When players sign out of HS to play baseball, they rarely are allowed to play football (or any other sport) in college.

Was he a baseball scholarship or football? I've heard baseball, but didn't think a guy on baseball scholarship could play football. He can't play baseball at Wake now, so I'd be surprised if he came.

SDeacz, the Dodgers are not going to forfeit a pick. They are under that threshold and will likely just pay the tax like they did last draft.

I talked to my buddy who used to be a scout for Padres and Dbacks. He said "this happens every now and again. He would bet on Uter showing up on campus this fall. A lot of times, teams draft elite athletes just to retain their rights, knowing they are going to be a 2 sport guy. The dodgers can defer some of his signing bonus if he decides to play football, so that the full 200K doesn't count against their signings this year. Jake Locker was another guy that was drafted and signed by Angels, but never player for them and went to school. It's possible Uter loves baseball a lot more than football and just doesn't come to wake. But not very likely, and he made a good decision to put a little money in his pocket if he didn't anticipate having an elite career in baseball and wanted to get an education"

ETA, the limit is usually around 100K for a high school prospect after the 10th round. If you pay him more, you lose a pick in a future draft. The dodgers wouldn't chance losing a pick for a guy that wouldn't show up. Unless 100K was deferred. so either, he has 200K and we might lose him, OR, what my buddy thinks, is the second 100K is deferred until he shows up.

that's a nice little bonus for being really good at hs baseball

UTER gonna make it rain in the pit this fall!

Back