• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keeping his word

one4theroad

Reaction score
I wonder if RW doesn't know just like the rest of us that Bz needs to go;BUT when he hired him he gave his word that he would be guaranteed 3 years to prove himself due to the state of the program he inherited. Perhaps RW is simply honoring a promise he made even though it is personally causing him to lose tons of credibility. It may earn him respect from potential next hires.

I wonder if RW doesn't know just like the rest of us that Bz needs to go;BUT when he hired him he gave his word that he would be guaranteed 3 years to prove himself due to the state of the program he inherited. Perhaps RW is simply honoring a promise he made even though it is personally causing him to lose tons of credibility. It may earn him respect from potential next hires.

You mean the program that had just gone to back to back NCAA tournaments, had a top 10 recruiting class coming in and had a total of 8 top 100 RSCI ranked recruits on the roster. Also RW has shown repeatedly that his words don't mean shit.

For RW, that's just one more reason. Another "one4theroad" so to speak...

Last edited:
Wellman will be the biggest obstacle to getting a good hire in. Fires record-wise successful coach for probably the worst D1 coach in the country. No one of substance will be coming here with Ron at the helm.

You mean the program that had just gone to back to back NCAA tournaments, had a top 10 recruiting class coming in and had a total of 8 top 100 RSCI ranked recruits on the roster. Also RW has shown repeatedly that his words don't mean shit.

What RC said. RW doesn't know how to jire coaches and certainly got rid of very productive coaches like Odom & Greer with 5 ACC titles between them.

Right...because it's always better to keep your word to a journeyman coach than it is to avoid alienating an entire base of fans

hahahahhahahaha

Was this even serious? What a load of dross.

I would say that guaranteeing a coach any minimum amount of time, irrespective of results, should be a fireable offense for pretty much any athletic director. As much as I dislike Ron Wellman right now, it's highly unlikely he did anything of the sort.

he could still Save face and not "scare" any potential future big-name hires by tossing Bz NOW and handing it over to Jeff Battle who deserves a shot.

Who would Wellman be scaring off at this point? I would think most coaches would believe if they had [Redacted]'s performance in year three they would definitely be shit canned. Who are these coaches who are thinking "I'm not going to Wake...they fire coaches who don't live up to expectations!"

I doubt this whole situation in any way make our hire more attractive.

However, I have had the sneaking suspicion (hope?) for a while that Wellman knows as well as the rest of us that this era needs to end as soon as our season ends. A few things lead me to believe this:

1) Wellman does the proper thing by bestowing a public vote of confidence in his coaches until the day they are no longer our coach. That's part of his job in a way. He's been like this over most of his successful tenure at Wake, and good on him for not changing that now. Under normal circumstances, this is absolutely the way for an AD to handle his business professionally. Under any circumstances, it fits with Wellman's reputation.
Where he went wrong here: We aren't operating under "normal circumstances." The asinine "couldn't be happier" campaign lost him a ton of credibility, where staying off the record and offering very generic support would not have.

2) I'd imagine that the terms of a buyout are FAR more advantageous to either party ending a 5-year contract after year three than they are after year 2.
Where this goes wrong: He has information about the contract situation that we, the public, do not. And he can't state the reasons without breaking #1 above. Which lets us speculate why we still have a horrible coach in our midst, while there could be a fantastic financial reason for making the switch after year three rather than year two in terms of the money we can offer a successful coach going forward.

I'm convinced he has to know this isn't working, and hoping beyond hope he's not so stubborn and stupid as to let this drag on into year 4. We'll know in 15 weeks.

There are not a lot of coaches out there who have never been fired. It's part of the business. Show me a coach who doesn't want the Wake Forest job because he's afraid he won't be successful and I'll show you a guy who shouldn't be in coaching. If I am a young, up and coming coach with serious talent I want to coach in a conference that includes K, Roy, Boeheim and Pitino. I'll start tomorrow. Saying the Wake job is unattractive is ridiculous.

Oh, well if they pinkied on it... then yeah... that changes everything, the three years of historic ineptitude are forgiven and both men are absolved of guilt.

I doubt this whole situation in any way make our hire more attractive.

However, I have had the sneaking suspicion (hope?) for a while that Wellman knows as well as the rest of us that this era needs to end as soon as our season ends. A few things lead me to believe this:

1) Wellman does the proper thing by bestowing a public vote of confidence in his coaches until the day they are no longer our coach. That's part of his job in a way. He's been like this over most of his successful tenure at Wake, and good on him for not changing that now. Under normal circumstances, this is absolutely the way for an AD to handle his business professionally. Under any circumstances, it fits with Wellman's reputation.
Where he went wrong here: We aren't operating under "normal circumstances." The asinine "couldn't be happier" campaign lost him a ton of credibility, where staying off the record and offering very generic support would not have.

2) I'd imagine that the terms of a buyout are FAR more advantageous to either party ending a 5-year contract after year three than they are after year 2.
Where this goes wrong: He has information about the contract situation that we, the public, do not. And he can't state the reasons without breaking #1 above. Which lets us speculate why we still have a horrible coach in our midst, while there could be a fantastic financial reason for making the switch after year three rather than year two in terms of the money we can offer a successful coach going forward.

I'm convinced he has to know this isn't working, and hoping beyond hope he's not so stubborn and stupid as to let this drag on into year 4. We'll know in 15 weeks.

HAROS' theory is more plausible than mine....

I just think, no believe, that RW knows the Bz era is a trainwreck.....
I also believe RW knows he messed up
I also believe RW is acting in the interests of WFU by not firing Bz immediately, although i do not know what circumstances (contractual or otherwise) make that statement true.

I also believe RW is acting in the interests of WFU by not firing Bz immediately, although i do not know what circumstances (contractual or otherwise) make that statement true.

Really? I mean... Really?

the problem with this whole assessment is that RW is the assclown that hired this fool in the first place. that's where he loses credibility in my book - if he had just inherited this douchebag and was trying to figure out the best way to financially get rid of him and move on, then that would be one thing...

but he went out on his own, dumped a coach who was took a team to three straight post-seasons, had a #1 team at one point, and rocked 3 piece suits like a boss, and replaced him with this dickhead who drove our program into the ground harder than pan am 103.

No, no, and hell no...

the problem with this whole assessment is that RW is the assclown that hired this fool in the first place. ...

Yes...

WellmanOUT! And the sooner the better...

Back