• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keeping the Boat Afloat

tagsfan

Reaction score
The transfers of Moto, Cav, and Mitchell are not necessarily good things. Many posters here were borderline suicidal when VT hired Buzz Williams and Wake "settled" for Manning. Since then, Williams has had 5 returning players leave the program and lost one incoming recruit. Only 5 scholarship players are returning. The most recent developments at VT were the transfer of Ben Emelogu, who started almost every game when healthy and was a captain last year as a freshman, and the announcement that C.J. Barksdale was no longer with the team. IIRC, Barksdale was recruited by {name redacted}. He was a part-time starter last year as a big. The lost recruit was T.J. Lang, son of Dookie Antonio Lang. By Buzz's record so far, Danny is doing fine. Buzz did add Seth Allen from the Terps but he will be redshirting so it will be a loooonnnngggg year in B-burg. Too bad the Deacs only play them once.

My God, Antonio Lang has a college-age kid. I'm gettin' old...

Wow. No matter how you spin it, VT has a problem!

Williams spoke at a state-wide HS coaches convention this week and from the newspaper article it sounded as though he told them not to expect to hear him there again, that public speaking is not his thing. Not a great start. Other speakers included Seth Greenberg (oh the irony) and Dino. Seth doesn't seem inclined to get back into coaching.

I still feel better about basketball than football right now if I'm a VT fan.

I mean, I don't see how losing 5 players from the worst team in the ACC is a totally bad thing. Buzz has plenty of scholarships to play with.

Agreed. Buzz Williams is an established very good coach with a strong track record. Let him do his thing.

It's going to be a while before I get used to another ACC coach named Buzz. Especially when posters express confidence in him.

I had a dream last night that we beat VT 96-73. Even saw the Wake Sports post about it on Facebook.

I read that Miami is bringing in 9 new players for 14-15 season. Big challenge for Larranaga.

I understand the point. The problem is that the 4 transfers who played last year accounted for 44% of VT's points (and 40% of rebounds) in ACC games. Chasing off the deadwood is one thing; having a situation where the snowball continues to build for a few more years is another. Recruiting talent to B-burg is tough enough without having to deal with a history of no recent success.

I mean, I don't see how losing 5 players from the worst team in the ACC is a totally bad thing. Buzz has plenty of scholarships to play with.

There is nothing to keep afloat. At this point all Manning can do is try and raise the hms bztanic from the icy cold depths.

Yep- our ship was sunk 4 seasons ago. I look at Manning as more of a Jacques Cousteau type trying to recover the wreckage.

To follow up on my post from yesterday, VT transfer Ben Emologu is headed to SMU. Previously, Trevor Thompson landed at tOSU. Add those to losing Greenberg recruits Finney-Smith to Florida and Harrell to Louisville and its easy to see why the Hokies will stink next year. No team can afford to lose their better players like that.

They are getting rid of shitty players so that a very good coach can recruit better players into the program. What is the problem?

Back