• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keith Emerson

oldmandeac

Reaction score
My favorite keyboardist has passed away.

I can still remember the first time hearing the end of Lucky Man and instantly falling in love with the sound of the Moog. As most of my suitemates at Wake liked beach music, I was a bit critized for my music choices. My high school girlfriend had a handcrafted craved Keith playing his Hammond organ. My college girlfriend knitted an ELP pillow. When I got back together with my girlfriend from Wake six years ago, the soon to be ex smashed the wooden Keith into splinters. I still have the pillow though.

I can remember seeing ELP for the first time when in high school. Keith jumped off the stage and stuck the mobile ribbon device under my nose. I had front row seats then and for the shows on consecutive nights in Greensboro and Charlotte during my Wake days. I saw ELP two additional times when they reunited years later. I also saw the other ELP - Emerson, Lake, and Powell.

Sadly, these things will happen more frequently as many of my favorites approach or exceed 70. (I am worried about Arnie and that he will be next).

Thanks for the music Keith

yet wellman's favorite keyboardist lives on

drLQC.jpg

Last edited:
RIP. Another of the great ones has left us with just his music. Thanks for the music and memories.

You got back together with your GF from Wake a few years ago which resulted in your wife/gf at the time smashing a wooden Keith Emerson carving that you still had from your high school girlfriend, yet you still have your knitted pillow from your Wake GF that is also Keith Emerson related?

Did I follow that correctly?

You got back together with your GF from Wake a few years ago which resulted in your wife/gf at the time smashing a wooden Keith Emerson carving that you still had from your high school girlfriend, yet you still have your knitted pillow from your Wake GF that is also Keith Emerson related?

Did I follow that correctly?

Yep. High school gf found an artist featured in the Sunday People insert would made wood carvings of rock stars. He had never heard of Keith Emerson so she sent him some photos. From that, he craved a Keith figure and a Hammond keyboard with little nails for the stops that were part of the organ. It was on display in my dorm room. Wake gf knitted the ELP pillow. Fast forward 30 years.... Keith statue is in a display case at my home in GA, at the time of the split with the then wife. In a rage the split brought on, a baseball bat connected multiple times with the statue. The bat was not hurt in the process. Autographed memorabilia were lost in the process, however the ELP pillow was rescued before any harm came to it and is on display in the living room I share with the Wake gf... what a tangled Web we weave!

Back