• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KEYS TO VT MATCHUP

KEYS TO VT CATAMOUNTS MATCHUP:

1) Don't play them circa 2005.
2) Don't let them shoot the three ball uncontested.

Why did Ty Outlaw leave UNCG and HOF Coach Wes Miller?

He was hired to work in one of the 27 or 28 businesses of the coach's bff, but he didn't do any work. When the NCAA investigated, the NCAA said since UNCG has UNC in its name, the NCAA wouldn't levy sanctions, but either Outlaw had to go or the coach had to drop his bff from his Christmas Card list. Miller chose to throw Outlaw under the bus. The bff got two Christmas Cards in 2016.

Sucks this game is on the road. Virginia Tech is 14-1 at home this season (loss was to then Notre Dame) with their highest quality wins over Duke and UVA in 2OT.

We did pick up a couple of ACC road wins this season (@BC, @State) but playing on the road has been our thing for years. Then again, not making the tournament has been our thing for years... and hopefully we can buck the trend.

Yeah, it sucks because if we play aggressively on the perimeter we're asking to get burned off the dribble which will likely lead to Collins getting in foul trouble, but if we sink back they'll crush us from 3. I guess we just play aggressive out there while Moore is in/Collins is out, and sink off while Collins is in. This is the underlying reason why we're not a good defensive team. I think if we bring the effort and mechanics we showed flashes of against Louisville and Pitt, then we can definitely win this game. Say what you will about Pitt's shooting, but I thought our defense has looked as good as it is ever going to the last 2 games.

3-2 zone /1-3-1 zone

3-2 zone /1-3-1 zone

I like the 1-3-1 with Dinos out top (yes I am serious) and Crawford baseline. Put Woods and Arians on the wings and Collins in the post. Let Dinos' size distract up front, and let Crawford sprint baseline to baseline. Wings provide heavy pressure upon any entry to the side in order to force the ball back up to the top. If we had an athletic 4 it would work a lot better, but we don't. This would also work well with Moore/SJM in the center and Collins out top. If you can prevent straight line passes at the top of the key and force them to either swing it to midcourt or throw a lob in order to reverse the ball, the 1-3-1 can be a great defense to combo into if you need to cover the perimeter.

I think you guys are imagining an ideal 3-2 or an ideal 1-3-1, when in reality we have not practiced it, so it isn't reasonably possible. 1-3-1's take a lot of practice. Not to mention, on occasion, you would have Dinos covering nearly half the 3 point line, and potentially running Crawford to death on the baseline. You've all seen how when we try to switch it up even with a 2-3 for a couple possessions we get absolutely torched. A 3-2 or a 1-3-1, I imagine, would be far worse. A zone is simple in concept, but you can't just throw your guys out there and expect them to run it well. ACC basketball is a little more complicated than that.

Wait, you want to put a big at the point? What??? Collins would foul out reaching in, and Dinos wouldn't even be able to touch the guy to foul him. Not to mention, the meer thought of Dinos running back and forth along the top scares the hell out of me.

Last edited:
I like the 1-3-1 with Dinos out top (yes I am serious) and Crawford baseline. Put Woods and Arians on the wings and Collins in the post. Let Dinos' size distract up front, and let Crawford sprint baseline to baseline. Wings provide heavy pressure upon any entry to the side in order to force the ball back up to the top. If we had an athletic 4 it would work a lot better, but we don't. This would also work well with Moore/SJM in the center and Collins out top. If you can prevent straight line passes at the top of the key and force them to either swing it to midcourt or throw a lob in order to reverse the ball, the 1-3-1 can be a great defense to combo into if you need to cover the perimeter.

Only issue is I have seen other teams overload one side of our 2-3 zone this season and we don't react to it well - I have a feeling that VT would do the same with a 1-3-1.

We're gonna need a big game from Woods. We need the Keyshawn that showed up against Louisville.

They don't start LeDay, so we should go to Collins immediately to try to score over the freshman Sy and get an early lead.

I think you guys are imagining an ideal 3-2 or an ideal 1-3-1, when in reality we have not practiced it, so it isn't reasonably possible. 1-3-1's take a lot of practice. Not to mention, on occasion, you would have Dinos covering nearly half the 3 point line, and potentially running Crawford to death on the baseline. You've all seen how when we try to switch it up even with a 2-3 for a couple possessions we get absolutely torched. A 3-2 or a 1-3-1, I imagine, would be far worse. A zone is simple in concept, but you can't just throw your guys out there and expect them to run it well. ACC basketball is a little more complicated than that.

Wait, you want to put a big at the point? What??? Collins would foul out reaching in, and Dinos wouldn't even be able to touch the guy to foul him. Not to mention, the meer thought of Dinos running back and forth along the top scares the hell out of me.

You are missing the entire point of the 1-3-1 defense. 1-3-1's are designed to protect the man in the middle from fouling. The man up top isn't required to move nearly as much as the player on the baseline. What you need up top is size. Ideally you want a 6'6 - 6'8" with long arms up top. We have run the 1-3-1 a few times this year (when McClinton was healthy) and we ran it pretty well. I would like to see more of it. McClinton is more of the ideal front man, but I think Dinos could be effective up there. Penetration is less of a factor from the top of the key as it is from the wing. We would love for them to try to go 1 on 3 from the top (which is what happens if the PG tries to penetrate. What you have to avoid is the side to side straight passes and Dinos up top makes that difficult.

I wish I had a whiteboard to draw on the boards, but if we go 1-3-1, then VT is going to go 2-1-2 offense. If we pinch in the 1-3-1 then the pass will go to the wing, that is when we must have heavy ball pressure to prevent them seeing the skip pass. When the ball is up top on the 2 guard set you have to make sure that they either lob the ball to reverse it, or they are required to dribble out 10 feet past the three point line. That is why you don't put a small guard up top. The people who move the most in a 1-3-1 in order:

1. Baseline player...he is running his tail off. Ideally this would be Chill. Crawford would be second best.
2. Wings - they are constantly moving from wing to the post as they defend strong side and then provide help side support against the lob. This would be Woods, Crawford, Wilbekin, etc...
3. Top - Need size up there, and this guy's main job is to prevent the straight pass across the middle. He has help against penetration, but he does have some responsibilities particularly from elbow to elbow. The better job he does preventing a quick reversal, the easier his job is.
4. Middle Man - He roams about a 6-8 foot area most of the time unless the ball goes into the corner, in which case he must dive to the block and deny the entry pass.

Anyway - I doubt we will see that, but I Would like to. Would particularly love this defense with SJM or Moore in the middle, and Collins up top. I think we would cause a lot of problems. Next year if either of our longer SF's are good enough to play, this would be our ideal small ball defense.

I personally just hate it when 1-3-1 coaches put their PF on the bottom of the zone. That is a guard oriented defensive position. You have to cover the entire width of the court, often in just 1 pass.

Last edited:
Because of the reasons Wrangor outlined, you should only play a 1-3-1 zone if you have practiced it a lot. There are more rotations in it than in most zones.

Because of the reasons Wrangor outlined, you should only play a 1-3-1 zone if you have practiced it a lot. There are more rotations in it than in most zones.

Not really. The roles are pretty defined. Plus we have already played it earlier in the year. Good 2-3 zones are full of rotations as well.

Back