• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kids and Sports

i loved swim team; and wakegrrl, i started the summer after i'd turned 8. i was MISERABLE that summer, but ultimately was awarded 'most improved' and went on to a successful (though not amazing) swim career. the aerobic base i developed in swimming set me up really well for other endurance sports, too.
i also highly recommend gym climbing for people who want their kids in a team sport. it's a little less conventional, but it's awesome because kids encourage each other, it's still a 'team' thing, but your kid (and all the other kids) have the same "playing time."

How did he manage this? Surely he didn't play all six simultaneously.

No. Played football, soccer, basketball and baseball his freshmen and soph. years; dropped baseball and ran track his jr. year; and dropped track (mistake IMO) to play golf his sr. year. Played fb, soccer and basketball throughout.

I was fortunate enough to compete in four sports a year in my sophomore, junior, and senior years, and it was very, very difficult time-wise (though sophomore year, I wasn't varsity in all four). I would not recommend it.

I was fortunate enough to compete in four sports a year in my sophomore, junior, and senior years, and it was very, very difficult time-wise (though sophomore year, I wasn't varsity in all four). I would not recommend it.

Doesn't give much time to get into trouble!

It is very difficult. My son's participation in football was possible only because he was a kicker-special teams player. Coaches wanted him to play a position but he would have had to quit soccer, which he didn't particularly want to do.

My theory has always been if your kid is a stud, he/she will be a stud regardless in a sport. 99% of the time being great in any real sport is going to be innate anyway and I'm pretty sure Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan didn't need personal trainers and specialization and they turned out just fine.

My theory has always been if your kid is a stud, he/she will be a stud regardless in a sport. 99% of the time being great in any real sport is going to be innate anyway and I'm pretty sure Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan didn't need personal trainers and specialization and they turned out just fine.

You are probably coreect but they got was plenty of practice at their sport and that is what these travel teams do. Do get better at anything you need practive. My son got on a travel team about 6 years ago and because of the added practice time he got with the teams and Rec ball he has went from probably the 9th or 10th best player on his team to one of the two best players on his team (Proud Parent)

I always enjoyed wrestling because it was a "team" sport but based on individual efforts.

Plus, you get all the benefits of an eating disorder.

My 9 year old daughter recently started rock climbing in hopes of making the team next year. The rock climbing team is even over the top crazy. The local team is traveling to Colorado (from Dallas) next week for a competition.

My 9 year old daughter recently started rock climbing in hopes of making the team next year. The rock climbing team is even over the top crazy. The local team is traveling to Colorado (from Dallas) next week for a competition.

which gym are you at?

colorado is nationals- so only a select few would be going to that (unless a lot from your gym made it, which may be the case... there's one gym down there that tends to dominate). most competitions leading up to it are localized (at least by region), and ramp up to bouldering (no rope) divisionals and then nationals. sport climbing (using ropes) starts next and will run through spring/summer.

You are probably coreect but they got was plenty of practice at their sport and that is what these travel teams do. Do get better at anything you need practive. My son got on a travel team about 6 years ago and because of the added practice time he got with the teams and Rec ball he has went from probably the 9th or 10th best player on his team to one of the two best players on his team (Proud Parent)
Wow that's a huge improvement. Congrats! :thumbsup:

I remember getting cut from the 7th grade basketball team and my dad signed me up for another travel team in the area. He told the coach I needed to work on my ball-handling skills (I was a small forward) and the coach made me starting point guard for the entire season. I came back the next season, made the team, and I wasn't one of the best players but I was one of the first people off the bench. Pretty solid life lesson.

Man, I thought I heard of everything. A rock climbing team? Wow. That really surprises me....

Man, I thought I heard of everything. A rock climbing team? Wow. That really surprises me....

google "ashima shiraishi" - it's astounding. then i'd recommend looking up usaclimbing.net.

climbing is on track to be an olympic sport; it's on the short list of sports being considered for the 2020 games.

Back