• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Eval of Kansas State

We lost to VT only because we got maybe one stop between 10 and 2 mins left in the game

After scoring 20+ in 12 straight, JC has not scored over 20 in any of the last 3 (@VT, BC, VT). In those 3 games, WF's offensive efficiency was an outstanding: 1.27, 1.26 and 1.23 (WF was 1.21 for the season which was good for #8 in the nation). So, teams did work to take away JC recently, but it didn't hurt the WF offense. K State plays mostly man, and they are big; so, they may decide to not double JC (at least at first). K State's interior defense is stout. Their weakness is defending the 3. WF has shot 41% or better from 3 in each of its last 4 games.

After scoring 20+ in 12 straight, JC has not scored over 20 in any of the last 3 (@VT, BC, VT). In those 3 games, WF's offensive efficiency was an outstanding: 1.27, 1.26 and 1.23 (WF was 1.21 for the season which was good for #8 in the nation). So, teams did work to take away JC recently, but it didn't hurt the WF offense. K State plays mostly man, and they are big; so, they may decide to not double JC (at least at first). K State's interior defense is stout. Their weakness is defending the 3. WF has shot 41% or better from 3 in each of its last 4 games.

The silver lining to the recent double-team trend on JC is he's getting more comfortable passing out of those situations and opening up our shooters.

The silver lining to the recent double-team trend on JC is he's getting more comfortable passing out of those situations and opening up our shooters.

He still makes me nervous in how slowly he reacts to the double-teams. Or his tendency to want to dribble through a trap.

The line at Hilton is Wake -1; at CG Tech and Wynn's it's pick 'em and at Mirage it's Wake +1. I can't remember seeing a line like this.

In other words it's about a pick!

I will not be surprised to see us play a lot of zone tomorrow. Gonna have to guard those baseline cuts, though.

The selection show nervousness has been replaced by the pre-game jitters.

KU and HUGE Danny Manning fan here-

Talent-wise, you guys are quite a bit better from what I've seen. If he didn't have to recruit, Bruce Almighty would be one of the better coaches in the NCAA in my opinion...good basketball guy and they are a very good defensive team despite his recruiting woes.

Johnson is EASY to get in foul trouble, and while his backup Isaiah Maurice has really improved, he hasn't improved to the point where he's ready to go toe-to-toe with a "Manning-trained" NBA Lottery pick. If you get both of those guys in foul trouble, then the game is OVER. Dean Wade is 6'10" and I have a soft spot for him being a local kid, but he's not looking to bang around with Collins and floats around the perimeter too much offensively. He can get hot though and I'm not sure how good your 4's and 5's are at guarding a stretch 4.

But it's going to come down to how well Stokes, Brown, and Iwundu play. Iwundu is a pro in my opinion and is just a solid all around player with experience. Stokes is emerging to be a pretty solid point guard and Brown at times can be really good but is a streaky shooter. All 3 of those guards really defend though and that's the reason that KSU is even in this position. They are the type of team that can hold a team like West Virginia to 51 points when they are focused.

For you guys, I think you just do what you do, play inside-out to force foul trouble and then they'll have to start doubling which will lead to open 3's. You will get open 3's against them which is good and bad...you'll not want to have a cold-shooting night against them from 3 or that could be your demise.

I have picked Wake in my bracket simply due to the fact that you have better basketball players. I think in the coming years Coach Manning will get your team to buy-in defensively and I think that will get the program back to where it once was. Good luck!

KU and HUGE Danny Manning fan here-

Talent-wise, you guys are quite a bit better from what I've seen. If he didn't have to recruit, Bruce Almighty would be one of the better coaches in the NCAA in my opinion...good basketball guy and they are a very good defensive team despite his recruiting woes.

Johnson is EASY to get in foul trouble, and while his backup Isaiah Maurice has really improved, he hasn't improved to the point where he's ready to go toe-to-toe with a "Manning-trained" NBA Lottery pick. If you get both of those guys in foul trouble, then the game is OVER. Dean Wade is 6'10" and I have a soft spot for him being a local kid, but he's not looking to bang around with Collins and floats around the perimeter too much offensively. He can get hot though and I'm not sure how good your 4's and 5's are at guarding a stretch 4.

But it's going to come down to how well Stokes, Brown, and Iwundu play. Iwundu is a pro in my opinion and is just a solid all around player with experience. Stokes is emerging to be a pretty solid point guard and Brown at times can be really good but is a streaky shooter. All 3 of those guards really defend though and that's the reason that KSU is even in this position. They are the type of team that can hold a team like West Virginia to 51 points when they are focused.

For you guys, I think you just do what you do, play inside-out to force foul trouble and then they'll have to start doubling which will lead to open 3's. You will get open 3's against them which is good and bad...you'll not want to have a cold-shooting night against them from 3 or that could be your demise.

I have picked Wake in my bracket simply due to the fact that you have better basketball players. I think in the coming years Coach Manning will get your team to buy-in defensively and I think that will get the program back to where it once was. Good luck!

And there we have it. Can get hot = will get hot. Good season, boys.

The money is moving to KState. They are now -1.5-2 and the O/U has dropped from 152.5 to 148.5.

Last edited:
2&2-

I just wonder how many 3's he'll be able to get up. He went 0-3 against us once and 3-3 the other time, but we had the luxury of guarding him with Josh Jackson. Recently, against a similar team to you style-wise, TCU (playing 2 true bigs together) he went 4-9 and they won by 1. KU has almost ALWAYS played 2 true bigs together with this year being the first time in forever where we're playing a stretch 4, so I'm used to cursing at the TV when stretch 4's take advantage of our bigs inability to guard the 3 point line against a player like Wade. That match-up along with who guards Iwundu will be very interesting to watch tonight.

2&2-

I just wonder how many 3's he'll be able to get up. He went 0-3 against us once and 3-3 the other time, but we had the luxury of guarding him with Josh Jackson. Recently, against a similar team to you style-wise, TCU (playing 2 true bigs together) he went 4-9 and they won by 1. KU has almost ALWAYS played 2 true bigs together with this year being the first time in forever where we're playing a stretch 4, so I'm used to cursing at the TV when stretch 4's take advantage of our bigs inability to guard the 3 point line against a player like Wade. That match-up along with who guards Iwundu will be very interesting to watch tonight.

Might see us go small with Arians and McClinton at the 3/4. Arians could guard Wade and McClinton on Iwundu.

The game is a pick to -1 everywhere because the teams are so even. Iwundu will be a tough matchup for WF, but JC is a tough match up for K State. Need Arians and the rest of our shooters to hit open shots from deep.

WF has trended upward over the last few weeks (many people claim the Duke is the best team in the country right now, a couple weeks ago, WF was down 1 with the ball and a minute to go in Cameron). WF can play with anyone.

Very geeked for tonight's game. Just feels good to be relevant in basketball again. Heading into the season, not many expected WF to playing in the NCAAs this year. Well, WF is. Everyone should enjoy it.

Last edited:
Back