• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Laptop Solid State Drive upgrade - an option to consider before buying new...

DCDeac

Reaction score
Just thought I'd post a quick thread on my laptop upgrade this weekend just in case anyone's interested.

I'm sure most tech folks here already know the benefits of solid state drives and many have even have put them in their machines already, but if you haven't considered it it might be worth a look, especially for a laptop that is showing its age.

Here's an article detailing the basics http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57565647-1/whoa-i-should-have-upgraded-to-an-ssd-last-year/

After reading that I looked into replacing my 2009 Macbook Pro's 320gb standard hard drive with an SSD one. I quickly realized that a like-sized drive was going to be prohibitively expensive (I'm trying to get another year of so out of it, so another $400 doesn't make sense). Turns out the DVD drive (which I never ever use) is also a SATA drive, so you can put the SSD there and use your old drive as extra storage.

I ended up getting this kit: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDMBSSD120/

For $150 you get a 120GB SSD, a mounting bracket and adapter to replace your optical drive, and the tools and instructions for all Macbooks covered by that solution.

The install is not for total novices, but you don't have to be a super-geek to do it either. Basically you unscrew the back cover, disconnect a few (admittedly fragile) cables, pop out the DVD drive, replace it with your SSD drive in the new bracket, reconnect everything and you're done. In my case I wasn't quite careful enough and almost screwed up one of the cables when I reattached it, but in the end it worked out.

In the Mac Mountain Lion world, you can simply reboot to a recovery USB key or disk, partition the new drive, and then reinstall a fresh copy of the OS. When you restart it'll boot off the new drive automatically, and your old disk will be available as well. You can either port the whole thing, or do what most people do - re-install software on your SSD and put your images, music, and video/large files on your old drive. All pretty easy.

The reason I'm posting is mainly because the results were shockingly good. I went from about a 2 minute boot time to under 20 seconds. Firefox used to load in 30 seconds or so, now it's 5 seconds. Word and Excel launch pretty much instantaneously. It literally feels like a new computer - if I told someone I replaced the dual core CPU with a quad core i7 and went to 16gb of memory they'd probably believe me. My XP virtual machine in parallels opens in 10 seconds or less - and rebooting the entire image still only takes 15-30 seconds. Also added maybe 30 minutes to my battery life.

I assume the results are similar for Windows machines based on that article, although I can't vouch for the ease of the upgrade. Outside of adding memory to get you to 8GB, this is easily the best upgrade I've ever done value-wise. Just don't strip any screws, and be really careful with the cables!

I have been vacillating between getting a new laptop or Surface Pro, or doing this along with installing a new battery to my old Wake T400.

I am anxiously awaiting the drop in SSD prices. My 120gb main desktop drives fills up too quickly and I have to delete programs or games.

I, too, have been waiting for SSD prices to come down. In the meantime, I put a 500 GB hybrid (SSD/Mechanical) drive in my 2010 Macbook Pro. It made a huge difference, even moreso than upgrading to 8GB of RAM.

:sick: hybrid? I've heard bad things about those. More power to you if it's made a big difference though.

:sick: hybrid? I've heard bad things about those. More power to you if it's made a big difference though.

I was nervous because I had heard of the problems as well, but I think the cause was a firmware issue with the early versions of those drives. The one I have works very well. Not quite SSD fast, but still much better than the old drive that was in it before.

I was nervous because I had heard of the problems as well, but I think the cause was a firmware issue with the early versions of those drives. The one I have works very well. Not quite SSD fast, but still much better than the old drive that was in it before.

My desktop has an SSD boot drive and an SSD cached data drive. The data drive is better than a standard 7200, but nowhere near real SSD.

Interesting.

I think I'd be more concerned about potential lower life-span because the actual drive spins up/down more than a traditional HD, and then you'd also have to worry about failure for two separate systems vs just one (I think).

If you're on Windows 7+ you could just ReadyBoost with a USB flash drive for a similar effect iirc. Not sure if the actual numbers work out quite the same or not, but it's the same concept.

I've heard that ReadyBoost is basically pointless unless you're trying to make up for having very little ram and you use a very fast USB stick.

I got the kit and replaced my optical drive in my 2011 MBP. Worked like a champ. The SSD is super fast. I wouldn't know what to do without it now. Everything opens instantly.

Back