• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lawsuit challenges NCAA as cartel

the ncaa needs to get out ahead of this IMO. The wall is getting more and more fragile, or perhaps think of it as a "bubble" like the housing bubble. If the NCAA could make some concessions and somehow deflate the bubble slowly, that would be far far better for everyone than pretending everything will stay the same forever until some judge suddenly pops the bubble and the next day Alabama announces it's paying its quarterback a few hundred thou to stay an extra year.

College athletics will not be the same in 5 years.

I'm all for paying athletes if they have the same admissions standards as other students. If you get a 900 on your SAT you shouldn't sniff a school like Wake no matter how good of an athlete you are.

my ideal solution has four prongs: (1) let schools give grants in aid up to the total estimated cost of attendance that they have to report under federal law; (2) let schools pay players the same as they pay other "work study" kids, like the ones who work in the library and so forth; (3) make schools provide health insurance/worker's comp to players who are injured; and (4) remove all the silly restrictions on how players can make money outside of school - let them get paid for autographs and free tattoos and have fake jobs working for boosters if they want to. That would eliminate the pressure on the NCAA and satisfy 99% of all the student athletes in America.

I think cartels have justification to sue this plaintiff for insulting them. How dare they be compared to the NCAA?

I'm all for paying athletes if they have the same admissions standards as other students. If you get a 900 on your SAT you shouldn't sniff a school like Wake no matter how good of an athlete you are.

The problem with this is all the non-bball, football sports. Soon as you start paying for the big 2 all others will expect to be paid and by law there has to be equal women's sports, so where does the money come from to pay for volleyball, soccer and lacrosse players? A lot of Universities will simply drop competitive sports all together and move into providing their student bodies with gyms, rec teams and phys ed classes.

Back