• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lectro was RIGHT--post1626--(climate related)

I'd love to control the climate and lock it into a hospitable zone. Unless you believe in 6000 year old we know the earth has gone from completely hospitable to inhospitable and back before. Im sure Europeans would prefer the glacial ice sheet not cover all of Europe or for us the entirety of the northern United States. Throw in the submersion of low lying areas and the prevention looks good. Like I said the technology isn't close to being there and when it is there we probably will be able to leave earth anyways.

Pitting far less chemicals into the air and water isn't that difficult to do. It's not very difficult to have more efficient cars and more no gas engine cars. It's not very difficult to use wind and solar many places.

Gotta love this one. No debate or discussion in a college classroom, science is apparently absolute! They repeat the oft debunked "97%" claim...and the creme de la creme.....the IPCC report and group they cite doesn't even agree with what they're saying.

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/28825/

Professors tell students: Drop class if you dispute man-made climate change

Gotta love this one. No debate or discussion in a college classroom, science is apparently absolute! They repeat the oft debunked "97%" claim...and the creme de la creme.....the IPCC report and group they cite doesn't even agree with what they're saying.

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/28825/

Professors tell students: Drop class if you dispute man-made climate change

Who cares? Only a dumb ass would sign up for that class anyway, much less pay for it. The profs there are a joke, and everybody knows it.

Reactions: ONW
while i'm a skeptic, i'm not bothered by a class that has a fundamental underpinning that they won't debate. This would be like taking a seminary course and derailing the whole class arguing about whether Jesus ever lived. Their class presumes that the 97% are correct, so why argue about this?

Silencing the opposition shows a lack of confidence in ones position.

Let's teach that gravity doesn't exist or that there was no Moon landing.

while i'm a skeptic, i'm not bothered by a class that has a fundamental underpinning that they won't debate. This would be like taking a seminary course and derailing the whole class arguing about whether Jesus ever lived. Their class presumes that the 97% are correct, so why argue about this?
Well.....that premise is at odds with what they call the "authority" in the field, which is the IPCC. It's comical. Other than that, I guess they can all waste their time talking about the health effects of something that will never happen in our lifetime (if ever) if they want to. The true worst health effect (point of the class) is probably anxiety over all this absurd certainty that anything will be catastrophic. It's a shame that won't be addressed. Not very intellectual of them.

Africa, South America hit hard as wilderness disappears
Unrelenting human expansion and its accompanying agriculture, logging and mining have resulted in the loss of about 10 percent of wilderness regions globally in the past two decades, researchers said on Thursday. A new study in the journal Current Biology raised concerns for these vital areas, which form the foundation for ecosystems - particularly in the places that have lost the most: the Amazon rainforest and Central Africa.
http://www.dw.com/en/africa-south-america-hit-hard-as-wilderness-disappears/a-19537981

That is a really great graphic. It was all over my twitter and facebook feed yesterday.
With bad/incorrect data in it that even the IPCC doesn't agree with. Temps have basically been flat since 2000 unlike the change they show. Not many in the community are making wild predictions and/or extrapolating to extremes either like in that graphic........after being wrong constantly (which should have cratered their cred)......but I guess some people never learn.

With bad/incorrect data in it that even the IPCC doesn't agree with. Temps have basically been flat since 2000 unlike the change they show. Not many in the community are making wild predictions and/or extrapolating to extremes either like in that graphic........after being wrong constantly (which should have cratered their cred)......but I guess some people never learn.

Temps have not been flat since 2000. That is just not true. One outlier record setting El Niño in 1998 does not undermine decades of a positive trend. Unless you cut your time series off at just the right year. I suggest you use a little more rigor in your time series regression models in the future to avoid erroneous conclusions.

lol

Temps have not been flat since 2000. That is just not true. One outlier record setting El Niño in 1998 does not undermine decades of a positive trend. Unless you cut your time series off at just the right year. I suggest you use a little more rigor in your time series regression models in the future to avoid erroneous conclusions.

I'll take Climate Predictions are Rife with These for $500, Alex.

Nice work bird.. I needed the laugh this morning.

I'll take Climate Predictions are Rife with These for $500, Alex.

Nice work bird.. I needed the laugh this morning.

My post was not about climate predictions, it was about modeling time series data to evaluate trends using past data. I agree that projection models are quite challenging to build and are rife with uncertainty.

http://www.popsci.com/august-ties-july-for-hottest-month-ever

august2016.jpg

My post was not about climate predictions, it was about modeling time series data to evaluate trends using past data. I agree that projection models are quite challenging to build and are rife with uncertainty.

pour doesn't believe in modeling

Back