• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Les Miles Presents: Coaching Mistakes of the 2014 Football Season

FckVwls

Reaction score
Went back and forth on the presenting sponsor of this thread as they are many high level coaches with low level game management skills. However, deserved or not, Les Miles is still the golden boy of poor clock management.

Thread is simple: Bump here when a football coach makes a dumb mistake so we can all share a hearty chuckle.

A couple of clear mistakes from today's festivities:

FSU Scores TD with 4:00 left in Q4 to go up 36-24. Jimbo decides to kick the extra point to go up 37-24. Ouch.

Down 6 with 0 timeouts left, UCF converts a 4th and 10 down to the PSU 7 with 1:50 remaining. James Franklin, sitting on all 3 timeouts, doesn't even bother to use a timeout on defense. UCF scores on the next play (with 1:13 left) and PSU is quite crunched for time on their game winning drive for no reason.

Meanwhile, Les' coaching move (fake punt) wins the game. Les>you.

I actually kind of like Les. He's doesn't really use analytics and makes some real blunders but he is very aggressive which I respect.

One name to keep an eye on: Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy. MM had a real breakout season in 2013 with mistake after mistake. That Steelers game in Week 16 was a real classic. One huge blunder on Thursday and I could see himself working his way right into the thread title.

Also, Gary Anderson punting on 4th and 12 from his own 8 with 1:30 left down 4 tonight was pretty horrible. No reason to be doing that, Gary!

Also, Gary Anderson punting on 4th and 12 from his own 8 with 1:30 left down 4 tonight was pretty horrible. No reason to be doing that, Gary!

Yeah, that was bad. LSU gets a 1st down, the game is over anyway. You keep LSU from getting a 1st down, you are only down 7.

So, Joe Philbin just declined an offensive PI call. There were 10 seconds left in the 2nd quarter, with each team having 1 timeout. The Patriots then set up for a 47 yard FG.

I don't understand why Philbin didn't push the Pats back out of FG range for a 3rd and a mile with 10 seconds left. Seems like a pretty big (well, 3 point) mistake.

Back