• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Long Lost Simple Pleasures In Life

oldmandeac

Reaction score
My car just hit one of those milestone mileages...

I can remember as a kid, the big deal it was to watch the old analog mileage indicators roll all of those zeros... a collective cheer would be voiced and inevitably someone in the car looked away at the critical moment!

Somehow, the same excitement is totally lost with digital odometers...

Anyway, it may me wonder what other "simple pleasures" are lost for the ages...for example:

Does Topps put chewing gum in the baseball packs anymore? There was no greater joy than getting a pack of cards with a fresh piece of gum...

And no greater agony than getting one that was rock hard and shattered into hundreds of pieces

My car just hit one of those milestone mileages...

I can remember as a kid, the big deal it was to watch the old analog mileage indicators roll all of those zeros... a collective cheer would be voiced and inevitably someone in the car looked away at the critical moment!

Somehow, the same excitement is totally lost with digital odometers...

Anyway, it may me wonder what other "simple pleasures" are lost for the ages...for example:

Does Topps put chewing gum in the baseball packs anymore? There was no greater joy than getting a pack of cards with a fresh piece of gum...

And no greater agony than getting one that was rock hard and shattered into hundreds of pieces

damn, how old are you? there was NOTHING fresh about that gum.

Kids being able to bike across town to a friend's house. Too many pedos out there now... I won't let my kids (late elementary school age) bike out of my sight.

Kids being able to bike across town to a friend's house. Too many pedos out there now... I won't let my kids (late elementary school age) bike out of my sight.

It's no different than it was... We're just more aware.

Yeah, we biked all over the place, often many miles from home. I wouldn't dream of letting my sons ride out of our sight nowadays.

As a kid it was always fun to pick up the grandparents at the airport when they came to town. You could go to their gate, look out the window, see their plane land, and then look down that long hallway waiting for them to emerge from the door. I know there's still a moment when you pick someone up now when they cross past security and you see them coming, but it's still not the same (I'm imaging especially for a little kid) as being at their gate.

The sheer terror of calling a girl in MS/HS, and her dad answers the phone.

As a kid it was always fun to pick up the grandparents at the airport when they came to town. You could go to their gate, look out the window, see their plane land, and then look down that long hallway waiting for them to emerge from the door. I know there's still a moment when you pick someone up now when they cross past security and you see them coming, but it's still not the same (I'm imaging especially for a little kid) as being at their gate.

The sheer terror of calling a girl in MS/HS, and her dad answers the phone.

these are both good ones (though calling a boy's house in MS/HS). Nothing quite as terrifying as not only having someone answer, but then the "Hello, may I speak with ___ please?"

Along the same lines, it was a HUGE excitement to finally get my own phone in my room. Totally big-timin.

The screeching sound of dial up internet on the shared family computer. Then having to sign off of AMERICA Online so mom could use the phone.

Waiting for pirated music to download on NAPSTER.

How about actually DIALING a phone?
I think we were the last family in the US to get a touch tone phone.

are you sure you're just a year younger than me? it was still not a given that people had a phone when I got to Wake, let alone HS.

Had this conv. with someone just the other day. Not only did we ride our bikes everywhere:
No cell phones, so on Saturday you literally left in the a.m. and came home by dinner; parents often had no clue where we were.
Started riding my bike to school in 4th grade; about a 2 mile ride. Parked bikes outside the school and no locks; don't recall anyone ever having thier bike stolen.
Our principal was also a 6th grade classroom teacher, so she did a fair amount of school business during class time. It was not unusual for her to have me or one of the "bike guys" in her class to ride up town and make a bank deposit, then scoot over to the Winn-Dixie to buy coffee for the teacher's lounge (I can still recall the first time I took coffee into the teacher's lounge: dimly-lit with a blue cloud of smoke from seemingly every teacher in the school in there puffing on a Salem).

Others:
"Safety patrol": in 7th grade I (again) rode my bike to an interesection about a half mile from the school, where I walked out in the intersection with a hand-held stop sign so kids walking to school could cross the street (pedo concerns aside, imagine some in-a-hurry asshole on a cell phone being told by a 11 year-old to stop so a bunch of other 11 year-olds can pass).
Going hunting before high school and leaving your gun in the back widown rack of your unlocked truck.
Playing pick-up/sandlot baseball.
Growing up playing all 3 local rec sports (football, baseball, basketball) and the coaches being men who had coached the same team/same leauge for years, vs. now it's your parents who coach Junior as he/she moves up to each league (and Ii was guilty of this one with my kids). And since we rode our bikes to/from practice, I don't recall any parents there; they only came to games.
Speaking of parents, my junior year of high school we took 2 busloads of kids to Atlanta for a band competition; stayed downtown ATL for 2 nights. The only two adults who went were the band director and assistant band director; no parents. That was typical back in the day; parents came to school for PTO meetings or conferences with the principal if you were a screw-up; that's about it.
The school bus drivers were 16/17 year-old students.

There's a lot of positives to how much more involved parents are today in their kids' lives than they were when I was growing up (and a fair amount of that is due to safety concerns; there was a degree of naiviety back then but also the world is a more dangerous place now), but I enjoyed the freedom of being able to go and do a lot on my own as long as I stayed out of trouble, made decent grades, and took care of assigned chores around the house.

Last edited:
are you sure you're just a year younger than me? it was still not a given that people had a phone when I got to Wake, let alone HS.

I'm three years younger than you I think.

I was a straight NERD in Middle School but we were all using AIM and meeting at the movies instead of calling

Back