• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lovely Winston-Salem

PirateDeacon

Reaction score
Now that I'm home for Thanksgiving, visiting family and old friends, it got me thinking about stuff that reminds me of Winston-Salem.

Aside from the obvious, Wake, what are some things that you link to this city?

For me, listening to the Smashing Pumpkins always brings back 90s nostalgia. And definitely Smashmouth.

The non-music things that I miss about this place are the quiet nights, overly-friendly neighbors, seeing all of the stars (this is a big-time Clemmons phenomenon).

By the way, I love that Thruway has a Trader Joe's now.

Moravian Sugar Cookies
Krispy Kreme
Cookout
Random views of Pilot Mountain
Fall leaves on Reynolda Road

DSC08654.jpg

The sweet smell of tobacco in the air on a crisp Fall afternoon. I used to love that smell while I was at Wake.

Sadly, that smell is pretty rare nowadays.

W-S is my home town, though I have lived in Mebane much longer than I lived there. Some of the things that I remember best are no longer there, like Staley's restaurants and great men's stores downtown. Downtown was the place to shop back then. It is still fun to visit at Christmas and to view the decorations in Buena Vista.

Recently riding through the West End area, I was struck with the contours of the city...more hills and variety than I remembered.

It is a great city; but it is sad that the economy has taken so many hits. It was once much more prosperous than it is now. Hopefully it is on the rebound.

The sweet smell of tobacco in the air on a crisp Fall afternoon. I used to love that smell while I was at Wake.

Sadly, that smell is pretty rare nowadays.

Reynolds is centralizing all of their production in tobaccoville.

they dumped the bins about 2 weeks ago. Great smells in the parking lot of the tv station. I had to explain it to a reporter. Will always associate that smell with Winston-Salem and Richmond, VA.

Must have changed a lot from when I lived there. I wouldn't really describe it in the terms many of you have used.

Back