• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mad Men Season 7 Part 2 premieres April 5

Well, if you think about his conversations with Betty and Stephanie it seems like there must be a huge relief on them not needing him or wanting his help. The lines "you not being there" and "you're not family" can really free him up from a lot of the guilt that motivated some of his decisions.

Deep down he is a man that sells ideas whether it's the idea of family around a table or the idea of Don Draper.

He kept trying to save people - that's why he chased that waitress halfway across the country. Always looking for something to fill the emptiness inside him. I think that's why I liked the ending - he reached a place where he is ok with himself. And then he figured out how to use that in his work. Which is true to form - he's always mined his life for inspiration.

Such a great idea by AMC to run the marathon leading up to the finale. It was awesome to jump back into earlier seasons - I watched big chunks of seasons 1 and 4 this week.

My first take on watching the finale was that Don was happy for the first time in a long time on the hippie commune, hence the smile. The coke ad plays and we realize that madison avenue life rolls on with and without Don Draper. THe iconic ad gets made while Don is out hugging crying strangers. My wife (and everyone else) thought differently but that was my first thought- The Mad Men of New york get along just fine without Don Draper and that there is probably a newer younger less damaged Don coming up with great ideas like the coke ad.

so your take was that they made the coke commercial, clearly with hippies in humboldt county, and don wasn't involved? lolwut

Don was definitely involved. Let us not forget that scene was preceded by the discussion between Peggy and Stan where Stan said something like, "Don't worry about Don. He always does this and he'll always be back." Peggy then acknowledged that Stan was always right. They could've left that out and I think it still would've been obvious that Don returned to NYC.

Interesting from Season 4, Ep 2 and how it relates to the ending:

Dr. Faye Miller: I'm not embarrassed to say (the profession is) about helping people somehow to sort out their deepest conflict
Don: And what is that?
Dr. Faye Miller: In a nutshell? It all comes down to what I want versus what's expected of me.
Don: After a pause, "That's true."

Don wrote the ad.

If Matt Weiner claims otherwise, he's fucking with people, which is bullshit.

it really doesn't have the sting that wondering whether tony was killed or not, does it?

have a coke and a smile

unfortunately mad men petered out

600px-mad107-rifle21.jpg

I don't remember the Pete gun thing at all. I've seen it referenced a bunch and don't remember it.

I don't remember the Pete gun thing at all. I've seen it referenced a bunch and don't remember it.

hot trudy made him return a double registry gift and they only gave store credit so he got a .22

Thanks. Now I remember.

so your take was that they made the coke commercial, clearly with hippies in humboldt county, and don wasn't involved? lolwut

I think it is conceivable that in 1971, a commercial with singing hippies could be made without don draper.

hot trudy made him return a double registry gift and they only gave store credit so he got a .22

And then season 2 ended with the Cuban Missile Crisis, Peggy's confession, Pete struggling to conceive with Trudy, and a closing shot of Pete alone with the gun in his office. So good.

Theme Songs

Sukiyaki - Lou Avery
Leavin' on a Jet Plane - Pete, Trudy, & Tammy
My Way - Betty
Nowhere to Run - Don
Go Away, Little Girl - Megan
I Only Want to Be With You - Stan and Peggy
You Don't Own Me - Joan

Back