• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Magic Jack Plus

yeah I have one. Works fine, but I haven't received a call on it in the 2 months since I put it in (except for me calling myself to make sure it worked). Having a new number that the telemarketers don't know yet is a strange thing.

yeah I have one. Works fine, but I haven't received a call on it in the 2 months since I put it in (except for me calling myself to make sure it worked). Having a new number that the telemarketers don't know yet is a strange thing.

oh man... if telemarketers is a slang term for hookers that i'm not familiar with yet; i just got one-upped big time.

ETA: yep... it had to be... hook line and sinker.

Last edited:

Supposedly I will be able to port over my current land line number but I don't get many telemarketers now anyway.

Does your alarm system depend in your land line? If so, you may need to rethink or have a cellular module added to your home alarm.

The magic jack works ok - for $25 a year or whatever it is worth it if you use your cell phone mainly. The service is spotty, especially on inbound calls - you can't dial 911, either, which, hopefully you won't need to.

The magic jack works ok - for $25 a year or whatever it is worth it if you use your cell phone mainly. The service is spotty, especially on inbound calls - you can't dial 911, either, which, hopefully you won't need to.

You can call 911. Alll you do is set up your address. In fact, if you don't have it set up, in bold red letters, it tells you that your address is not set up and to please do it in case of an emergency. You can also change the address at any time, for instance if you are traveling.

I use Magic Jack (not Magic Jack Plus) as my business phone for many reasons. I have not had any issues so far. Being that I work out of the home, it is nice to be able to shut the phone down at night.

3 month update.
Been using it for 3 month now. Only 2 issues so far. I've had to unplug it and plug it back in twice an you have to dial an area code for local calls. Other than that it's no worse or better then TWC from a quality standpoint. Even if TWC kept me at the $20/mth level for phone service I'd still save about $150 this year and about $220/yr next year and beyond using the Magic Jack service.

I just ordered ooma, same deal - $285 up front and then about $1.25/month in FCC fees, etc. Should pay itself off in 8 months over vonage.

3 month update.
Been using it for 3 month now. Only 2 issues so far. I've had to unplug it and plug it back in twice an you have to dial an area code for local calls. Other than that it's no worse or better then TWC from a quality standpoint. Even if TWC kept me at the $20/mth level for phone service I'd still save about $150 this year and about $220/yr next year and beyond using the Magic Jack service.

Most people in urban areas have to dial 10 digits anyway. I'm surprised you don't have to in W-S.

I currently have TWC Triple play (digital cable, internet, and phone). They piss me off by offereing new customers the package plus DVR for $100 while they want to charge me $150 as a loyal customer. Is MagicJack (plus) a viable switch of phone service? I can do without the cable between airwaves/netflix. The kicker for me is phone service as my wife does direct sales from the house and requires phone and internet.

I've been using this model for abour 3-4 months now. Other than some excessive skin getting caught from time to time, success stories all around!

(REMOVED PICTURE -cookout)

Last edited by a moderator:
C'mon mang, at least post a picture of a pump that isn't shaped/molded exactly like a dick.

I currently have TWC Triple play (digital cable, internet, and phone). They piss me off by offereing new customers the package plus DVR for $100 while they want to charge me $150 as a loyal customer. Is MagicJack (plus) a viable switch of phone service? I can do without the cable between airwaves/netflix. The kicker for me is phone service as my wife does direct sales from the house and requires phone and internet.
It is viable but you do need internet service and a router with a open port.

Back