• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maker's Mark changing/REVERSES DECISION!

I got clarification. The maximum that it can be distilled is 160 proof so it is very common for the white dog to be watered down to the proof at which it goes into the barrel.

I got clarification. The maximum that it can be distilled is 160 proof so it is very common for the white dog to be watered down to the proof at which it goes into the barrel.

Yeah, I am trying to remember the different proofs that each of the distilleries barreled the white dog at. I dont remember all the specifics, but I do remember them being different from each other. The link above is from Buffalo Trace. The first sentence is a link to their website. I didnt realize until today that they ran the Old Weller Antique line.

Yeah, I am trying to remember the different proofs that each of the distilleries barreled the white dog at. I dont remember all the specifics, but I do remember them being different from each other. The link above is from Buffalo Trace. The first sentence is a link to their website. I didnt realize until today that they ran the Old Weller Antique line.

Buffalo Trace also produces the wheated bourbon for the Van Winkle line. Julian Van Winkle picks the barrels that he wants to age (he gets first pick) and the majority of the rest goes to the Weller line (Weller Special Reserve, OWA, Weller 12, and William Larue Weller).

Buffalo Trace also produces the wheated bourbon for the Van Winkle line. Julian Van Winkle picks the barrels that he wants to age (he gets first pick) and the majority of the rest goes to the Weller line (Weller Special Reserve, OWA, Weller 12, and William Larue Weller).

Did not know this, interesting.

Interesting stuff. Learning a bit today.

Did not know this, interesting.

The Stitzel-Weller distillery was owned by the Van Winkles until 1972 when it was ultimately sold to United Distillers, but the Van Winkles still ran it until it was closed 1992.

The Stitzel-Weller (I'll refer to it as S-W) bourbon is much sought after and some of its bourbons are considered the best bourbons ever made. Before last year, the PVW15 was a mixture of S-W, Bernheim, and Buffalo Trace (I'll refer to it as BT) wheated bourbons, but last year those old stocks ran out and it's now completely from BT .

The PVW20 and PVW23 are rumored to still be S-W bourbon and the math makes sense. Last year would have been 20 years since the S-W distillery closed down and Van Winkle probably either tanked the 20year bourbon or has already bottled it and is just doing a slow release. The 23year is probably still completely S-W bourbon and could potentially still be in barrels at BT. I'd bet that there is also a supply of 23yr bourbon that is tanked or bottled already also though.

Just as an FYI - the Weller name is a very old name when it comes to bourbon. Pappy Van Winkle got started in bourbon as a salesman for WL Weller & Sons back in the 1890s when he was 18. He and a friend then bought the Stitzel distillery and later merged with Weller to become Stitzel-Weller, which opened in 1935.

Last edited:
I need to drink moar buffalo trace I think.

I've enjoyed the bottle of four roses small batch I've had open, will be dead soon though, sadly.

I did not like Four Roses as much as people here do. Might have to give it a second chance some time.

Well I will say that I haven't had an off the shelf bottle in quite some time. Off the shelf, I think the Single Barrel is best. Mostly what I drink are single recipe cask strength private picks and they are great. Some retailers offer the cask strength single barrels also - Binny's, The Party Source (I think) and maybe a few others.

I also think the Four Roses giftshop-only bottles are some of the best around. I picked up a 13yo bourbon back in November, but last summer they had a few 17 and 18 year single barrel gift shop bottles. All of these are "must buys" if you visit the FR distillery.

Just picked up some full strength. Actually got the last Xmas gift set with the sweet waxed glasses

Dear Friends,

Since we announced our decision last week to reduce the alcohol content (ABV) of Maker’s Mark in response to supply constraints, we have heard many concerns and questions from our ambassadors and brand fans. We’re humbled by your overwhelming response and passion for Maker’s Mark. While we thought we were doing what’s right, this is your brand – and you told us in large numbers to change our decision.

You spoke. We listened. And we’re sincerely sorry we let you down.

So effective immediately, we are reversing our decision to lower the ABV of Maker’s Mark, and resuming production at 45% alcohol by volume (90 proof). Just like we’ve made it since the very beginning.

The unanticipated dramatic growth rate of Maker’s Mark is a good problem to have, and we appreciate some of you telling us you’d even put up with occasional shortages. We promise we'll deal with them as best we can, as we work to expand capacity at the distillery.

Your trust, loyalty and passion are what’s most important. We realize we can’t lose sight of that. Thanks for your honesty and for reminding us what makes Maker’s Mark, and its fans, so special.

We’ll set about getting back to bottling the handcrafted bourbon that our father/grandfather, Bill Samuels, Sr. created. Same recipe. Same production process. Same product.

As always, we will continue to let you know first about developments at the distillery. In the meantime please keep telling us what’s on your mind and come down and visit us at the distillery. It means a lot to us.

Sincerely,

Rob Samuels Bill Samuels, Jr
Chief Operating Officer Chairman Emeritus
rob@makersmark.com bill@makersmark.com

:laugh: awesome.

So mehbe get some of the 84 stuff as a collector's item?

It's very cool that they listened to their customers. So many large companies make changes and basically say "screw you" if you don't like it. This will probably strengthen their brand loyalty.

It's very cool that they listened to their customers. So many large companies make changes and basically say "screw you" if you don't like it. This will probably strengthen their brand loyalty.

This.

And since I am a State grad, I think a parade is in order.

Off to fire up my tractor...

Andy Polley theorizing that this was a publicity stunt.

I saw the 42 at corridor and almost bought it just to see what it tasted like. It was 24 for 750, while a liter was 34. Makes no sense.

Back