• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning is a turrible second half coach

2002, it's a huge assumption that we could have gotten a mid major coach with a better resume than Manning. I think those guys told us no.

Not possible. 2 years is practically no head coaching experience. Manning has so much to learn. There is no way that the majority of good coaches would rather coach in conference USA for $300,000 than coach at Wake Forest for 2 million a year. 2002's narrative is far more plausible. There are only so many top conference coaching jobs. Unless you are close to guaranteed to get one later, you take the opportunity when you get it. As far as I know, Wellman only offered two coaches. The second one was still in the early stages of learning how to coach.

Don't you think that calling it an errant banked three ignores the fact that we were up 7 with less than a minute and we still lost the game? It is not like we were in a tight battle trading leads all game and took the upper hand with 4 seconds left, only to lose it on a baked three at the buzzer...We were beating them up until about the final 40 seconds. I guess it is a matter of emphasis.

Up 7 with 15 seconds left, actually. The 3-pointer to cut it to 70-66 came at 0:14:5.

2002, it's a huge assumption that we could have gotten a mid major coach with a better resume than Manning. I think those guys told us no.

No way.....we've all tried to reassure ourselves by arguing that Manning's resume (as a coach) was something to be excited about but there were a number of mid-major coaches with coaching resumes better than Manning's whom we never reached out to.

How do you know we never reached out?

How do you know we did? I'm certain, simply based on the number of mid-major coaches that were out there with resumes better than Mannings, that there's no way we reached out to all of them. If we did and all of them said no then Wellman has f'ed this up even worse than I think...and I think Wellman has FUBARed our basketball program.

I'm not sure the list is as long as you think. Which coaches do you think we didn't contact?

I do agree Wellman screwed up either way.

We will know more next year. In modern times with how recruiting works, the availability of quality transfers, etc. there is no excuse to not be good by year 3 as a head coach. You see it time and time again: When Larry K took over at Utah they were playing mostly walk-ons his first year. They were worse than Bz year 1. By year 3 they were 42 Kenpom. Virginia was a mess when Tony B. took over and they were in Kenpom 30s and NCAAs in year 3. Buzz Williams at Virginia Tech started with a blank roster and I'd be willing to bet they are on the NCAA bubble next year (at least).

I'm sure there is an example out there but I clicked around for 10 or 15 minutes on Kenpom and couldn't find a single example of a modern coach (given quantity of transfers and how big of an impact underclassmen can have today) that really struggled for 3 seasons and then later turned out to be a great coach.

I guess Billy Kennedy is an example at Texas AM of a coach that sucked for a good while but now has things cooking. So that's 1.

But the number of good coaches, involved with full rebuilds, that had their team to a solid state by year 3 is VERY high.

Last edited:

Yea, I'm pretty sure I remember reading that Mike White, Archie Miller, and at least one other name said thanks, but no thanks. Doesn't make it true (obviously) but FWIW.

Chris Mack (although Xavier's hardly a mid-major)

How many former college AA's who went on to have great NBA careers have been successful college coaches. I know Mullen is at St. John in year 1 and I remember Drexler flamed out at Houston. My guess is after a great NBA career they don't want the headaches and likely don't need the money.

I'm wondering if the 2nd half woes might also be due to poor conditioning.

How many former college AA's who went on to have great NBA careers have been successful college coaches. I know Mullen is at St. John in year 1 and I remember Drexler flamed out at Houston. My guess is after a great NBA career they don't want the headaches and likely don't need the money.

Good point. I think a good case could be made that bench-warmers who played under good coaches in college might even have an advantage as future coaches...because they had more opportunity to observe what the coach was doing during the games than if they had been star players. This was certainly the case for Dean Smith at Kansas & Bob Knight at Ohio State....just to name two of the top winning college coaches of all time.

I'm wondering if the 2nd half woes might also be due to poor conditioning.

Earlier in the season it seemed like there were a number of games where we were getting beat in the first half and came back strong in the second half.

Back