• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning recruiting requirements vs the failed experiment

Sportin' Woody

Reaction score
Think maybe the big money told Ron the time has expired on his so called four year player culture plan and its time to get back to getting the one and two and dones?

Have to think manning told ron this is his program and he needs alot of latitude in recruiting. The guy is well known and connected in these parts and could do some really good work if ron keeps his paws off

Like giles maybe

The way to keep RW's paws of is for the BOT to terminate him immediately after he introduces Manning. Then the quad will be rolled for a second time in one month.

It is not about recruiting 1 or 2 and dones it is about getting the best players you can get and if some are good enough to leave early, so be it. Also, if some are Tatted up, so be it!

The only thing I really care about in this whole recruiting requirement deal is that when a player is under scholarship that they go to class and at least try to give effort to pass. I dont need a Rhodes scholar, just someone that will go to class and try to do the homework. That is pretty much enough to pass as an athlete at Wake. I have no problem with a player coming in for one year and leaving the next to be drafted. More power to them. But respect the school that is giving the opportunity enough to defend our academic integrity. I can see why people had some problems with JJ and Teague (although I don't know their approach to the classroom directly, I have heard the same thing everyone else has). If a kid is going to outright embarass the school and his coach, then I probably don't want to sign them.

Athletes aren't perfect, and all of them aren't going to arrive at school as mature adults, so it is up to the coach to determine which ones are beyond reforming, and which ones can be taught. The proof is in the pudding. [Redacted] didn't recruit any high risk guys because he is incapable of handling them. Dino did, but couldn't really handle them. Skip did, but was the kind of man that could mold young men. Danny has the cred to reach these kids. What remains to be seen is if he can do it on a consistent basis.

Manning (or whoever) cannot afford to whiff on the 2015/2016 talent in the southeast. If we can pull off a Brandon Ingram, Kwe Parker, Harry Giles-level recruit then we'll be ok.

It is not about recruiting 1 or 2 and dones it is about getting the best players you can get and if some are good enough to leave early, so be it. Also, if some are Tatted up, so be it!

Plus, rumor has it that the NBA will be moving to two years/20 years old. No more one and done.

In that Tulsa article they mention him specifically asking for more exceptions because of their stringent academic requirements. That just seems like it would be a huge sticking point for us as well. I just hope we are being honest with him. He's not what I hoped for, but I need him to succeed. Otherwise I'm out...

In that Tulsa article they mention him specifically asking for more exceptions because of their stringent academic requirements. That just seems like it would be a huge sticking point for us as well. I just hope we are being honest with him. He's not what I hoped for, but I need him to succeed. Otherwise I'm out...

Forgot about that. I can't believe Tulsa's restrictions are any tighter than ours. Hope that doesn't cause problems.

It's not just 2015 kids he needs to get either. He really could use a 2014 big and 2G.

Forgot about that. I can't believe Tulsa's restrictions are any tighter than ours. Hope that doesn't cause problems.

It's not just 2015 kids he needs to get either. He really could use a 2014 big and 2G.

That's my concern. If he's complaining about their restrictions then what the hell happens when he gets here and realizes ours are even more stringent?

I have to think it is being talked out and may even be the sticking point as to whether he takes the job or not. Its hard enough to compete in this league with out castrating ourselves. We need to give our new coach the green light.

If not, we need to ask ourselves who we think we are holding ourselves to higher standards than Duke.

Big boy conference, take the gloves off.

I have to think it is being talked out and may even be the sticking point as to whether he takes the job or not. Its hard enough to compete in this league with out castrating ourselves. We need to give our new coach the green light.

If not, we need to ask ourselves who we think we are holding ourselves to higher standards than Duke.

Big boy conference, take the gloves off.

Damn straight. I just hope this isn't desperation time for RW and co and they'll simply say whatever needs to be said to get him to sign. If he publicly rejects us that would be a huge embarrassment. We conduct some stupid ninja search where we don't want any media to know who we've talked to or offered then we get publicly negg'd by our safety candidate. Only RW.

Clawson basically said as much during the signing day press conference. You have to hope some of your players are good enough to leave early for the NBA because that means you're fielding talented teams.

Think maybe the big money told Ron the time has expired on his so called four year player culture plan and its time to get back to getting the one and two and dones?

I've heard the exact opposite. And that it may have been an issue in our search.

Manning (or whoever) cannot afford to whiff on the 2015/2016 talent in the southeast. If we can pull off a Brandon Ingram, Kwe Parker, Harry Giles-level recruit then we'll be ok.

Might as well line up for the meltdown when we don't get any of them.

I've heard the exact opposite. And that it may have been an issue in our search.

Have to think manning told ron this is his program and he needs alot of latitude in recruiting. The guy is well known and connected in these parts and could do some really good work if ron keeps his paws off

Like giles maybe

It always surprised me that people think that Wellman had some sort of culture epiphany after being AD for 18 years. Much more likely those were marching orders as your suggest.

The way to keep RW's paws of is for the BOT to terminate him immediately after he introduces Manning. Then the quad will be rolled for a second time in one month.

Screw that, terminate now and let the new AD make a hire. He's obviously holding us back.

Former number one and on a natty team knows better than anybody who he needs to recruit and i damn sure that has been discussed and understandings reached

We need some fucking ballers ron. Let coach get em

Back