• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning's lineups and subs

Does anyone know how sub-patterns and line-up management is handled from the bench during a game? I know it is all Danny's responsibility, and I assume those things are planned and discussed before the game, but, I am thinking that, from a practical standpoint, there would be an assistant whose job is to make sure the correct substitutions are being made and that desired lineups are on the floor. Is that true?

I think we must keep in mind, regardless of coaching experience, DM was one of the best big men ever in college. We have to think that he understands more than most about how to develop young talented big men. So perhaps there is a method to what appears to be madness. And, it's not just teaching them how to play in real game situations it's also, I suspect, about saving them for a longer season...a season weighted with the most important competition in the latter half.

It has always seemed that big men develop the skills necessary for the college game more slowly than guards. I suppose we must give the benefit of the doubt to his use of Collins and Moore.

There's definitely reason for optimism, but why - regardless of who coaches the team - do we give up so many open threes?

I think it's a combination of something lacking in our talent pool and opponents who are very proficient at producing open looks. And they can knock down those open looks (as opposed to our iffy shooting).

They exploited that inveterate weakness of ours. Richmond came in prepared to take advantage of it.

_emon _eacons.

I attribute the lack of 'D' to these (in order): 1) sheer laziness/lack of effort 2) poor positioning (especially when an opponent spreads the offense) 3) lack of lateral 'quicks' 4) questionable coaching.

_emon _eacons.

dont-wait-for-the-perfect-moment.jpg

RJ has never abused a coach like he did last night.

He's never come close.

Rj does understand basketball

We are fucked

RJ has never abused a coach like he did last night.

He's never come close.

Rj does understand basketball

We are fucked

rj doesn't understand basketball nearly as much as he thinks he does. much like every other topic.

Unfortunately, the coach that Wake should have hired may have been on the other bench tonight. (Hey, he coached at AIR FORCE!)
Mooney kind of got glossed over in the Shaka sweepstakes. I actually talked with a guy who played for Shaka at VCU - he said, "Shaka was never coming to Wake. Nowhere near enough money."

I think we must keep in mind, regardless of coaching experience, DM was one of the best big men ever in college. We have to think that he understands more than most about how to develop young talented big men. So perhaps there is a method to what appears to be madness. And, it's not just teaching them how to play in real game situations it's also, I suspect, about saving them for a longer season...a season weighted with the most important competition in the latter half.

It has always seemed that big men develop the skills necessary for the college game more slowly than guards. I suppose we must give the benefit of the doubt to his use of Collins and Moore.

waitaminute... manning was one of the best big men ever in college. big men take longer to develop into good players. he is a big coach in college now. therefore, big coaches must take longer to develop into good coaches.

Unfortunately, the coach that Wake should have hired may have been on the other bench tonight. (Hey, he coached at AIR FORCE!)
Mooney kind of got glossed over in the Shaka sweepstakes. I actually talked with a guy who played for Shaka at VCU - he said, "Shaka was never coming to Wake. Nowhere near enough money."

of course ronnie low balled him. there is just no way he did not. i suspect he also did not want a coach that over shadowed him in any way in his little corner of the world.

Sort of off-topic question, but I don't think it's worth starting another thread.

What's a good NBA comp for Dinos?

I've been trying to think of some other defensively-challenged stretch 4s, and I've come up with Matt Bonner and Channing Frye. I guess Troy Murphy and Ryan Anderson would be in that category, but both of them were way ahead of Dinos offensively. Ersan Ilyasova, too, but he's probably too strong defensively? I dunno.

Mooney was everything [Redacted] was sold to be, but 20 years younger and without the stench of failure. Anyone who couldn't see that was a fool.

Mooney would not have been a good hire then or in 2014 though.

Here's something that might be interesting for taking the pulse of this thread: What does your ideal minutes distribution last night look like, assuming the same available roster?

I've got:

1/2 (80 min)- Crawford (36), Wilbekin (32), Van Horn (12)
3 (40 min)- McClinton (26), Collins (10), Dinos (4)
4 (40 min)- Dinos (26), Collins (10), Devin (4)
5 (40 min)- Devin (32), Collins (4), Moore (4)

That still lets you go eight deep, though it takes out the three-guard lineup that Manning seems to like, and adds in a three-big lineup for 14 minutes, which Manning seems averse to.

It also ensures that O'Brien is nowhere near the fucking court.

tl;dr- i would give all of o'brien's minutes to wilbekin, and give most of TVH's to collins

Last edited:

We offered him $3M.

Manning should watch the game tape and watch Mooney's moves. We had Richmond in foul trouble but couldn't take advantage of it partially because of Mooney's moves to pull players when they fouled and partially because we didn't take the ball inside to draw more fouls. With the focus on freedom of movement the advantage is to the offensive player.

Two biggest sub issues I had last night was taking Dinos out in the 2nd half when he'd just made 3 from deep and having Van Horn and O'Brien on the court at the same time.

I'd also play Collins and Moore more because of their aggressiveness on the offensive end. They also above the rim on both offense and defense. More blocks and more trips to the foul line. Devin for the most part plays below the rim and uses finesse to score. Fewer blocks and even when he goes to the foul line it's a coin toss as to whether it will go in.

Back