• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maryland Takes Ball and Goes Home...

Dave Glenn said the MD people did not return Swofford's calls over the weekend as he attempted to find out what was going on.

Swofford is such a screwup.

You do realize how many Big Ten alums are in the DC area, right? I would harbor a guess that it is about even with, if not more than, non-Maryland ACC alums in DC. Especially Penn State alums.

I lived in the DC area for almost a decade. You'd be wrong. There are a lot of Big Ten people in DC -- like any big city; there are Pac Twelve fans in DC, too -- but it's not "even with" the ACC schools by any measure. There are ten MD, UVA and VT fans for every fan of another school, barring Penn State (because, again, Penn State is close to DC, relatively speaking). But one city does not conference rivalries make. Most MD fans don't live in the District, or in Arlington County. 85% of the other schools fan bases will never meet a MD fan except as a novelty when they visit DC once in a blue moon. MD fans won't travel to most of those road games.

Other than some game-day bars in the greater DC area, you're talking ships in the night.

Last edited:
I never said the Big Ten won't give you your money. But I'm saying the amount of additional money you're going to make, opposed to what you would make if you remained in the ACC, remains to be seen. You keep talking about this huge tv contract in a few years. We'll see. And there's also the fact that a lot of your fanbase is adamantly opposed to this.

The current numbers already indicate a large dollar amount higher to each team of the Big Ten over the current and recently-signed ACC TV contract. Additionally, are you ready to suggest that you think the next Big Ten TV contract will go down in money?

Lastly, what does the uninformed portion of our fanbase being against it have to do with the TV contract/money? (I'll beat you to it "Isn't the uninformed part all of the Maryland fanbase?")

Lastly, what does the uninformed portion of our fanbase being against it have to do with the TV contract/money? (I'll beat you to it "Isn't the uninformed part all of the Maryland fanbase?")
Most MD fans are uninformed and you're one of the few enlightened ones? How modest. Perhaps for some of the MD fans it's not all about the money. Tradition actually means something. Did you even grow up a MD fan, a fan of ACC basketball?

The current numbers already indicate a large dollar amount higher to each team of the Big Ten over the current and recently-signed ACC TV contract. Additionally, are you ready to suggest that you think the next Big Ten TV contract will go down in money?

You're right. Your fanbase has nothing to do with it, they want to stay in the ACC. It's not about the Big 10's fanbase either, they want you to stay in the ACC. It's about long, long term potential money, after the buyout has been paid off. So congrats on your possible future money.

Really dude? I mean, I like hockey, but it is waaaayyy down the list in the importance of the minds of American sports fans. NCAA baseball is much more popular. Heck, women's basketball is more popular!

Overall I'd agree with you, but people who love hockey LOVE HOCKEY - it really isn't the same as baseball or women's basketball, as fans of the NHL are willing to invest time and effort in AHL and NCAA teams. Also, college hockey has been growing over the last decade plus while women's basketball has remained the same size and baseball has been shrinking.

You're right. Your fanbase has nothing to do with it, they want to stay in the ACC. It's not about the Big 10's fanbase either, they want you to stay in the ACC. It's about long, long term potential money, after the buyout has been paid off.

I don't even think this dude grew up a MD fan. Probably didn't watch ACC bball as a kid- unlike most of the MD fanbase. So he has no sense of the history.

Ben Swain ‏ @ thedevilwolf
ECU is putting on makeup and stuffing their bra right about now.

You're right. Your fanbase has nothing to do with it, they want to stay in the ACC. It's not about the Big 10's fanbase either, they want you to stay in the ACC. It's about long, long term potential money, after the buyout has been paid off.

Correct. The people that only care about what teams the school plays and don't understand the financial aspects to college sports want Maryland to stay in the ACC. If you take money/stability out of it, I want to stay in the ACC as well. I don't want to move to the Big Ten just to move and lose the traditions, rivals, history, etc. that we have with the ACC. However, it is impossible to view college sports like that anymore. If we don't accept an offer from the Big Ten, we leave ourselves crippled financially and potentially left out in the cold when the conferences start to expand again. There is zero future downside to Maryland accepting this offer.

Some more tweets...

David Glenn Show ‏ @ DavidGlennShow
ACC already has plan in place. Schools lining up hoping to be considered for membership. League will be very selective with invitations.

ACC now will accelerate debate over UConn/Louisville (among others) & revisit idea of considering basketball schools (e.g. G'town) too.

Correct. The people that only care about what teams the school plays and don't understand the financial aspects to college sports want Maryland to stay in the ACC. If you take money/stability out of it, I want to stay in the ACC as well. I don't want to move to the Big Ten just to move and lose the traditions, rivals, history, etc. that we have with the ACC. However, it is impossible to view college sports like that anymore. If we don't accept an offer from the Big Ten, we leave ourselves crippled financially and potentially left out in the cold when the conferences start to expand again. There is zero future downside to Maryland accepting this offer.

There's plenty of money/stability in the ACC, fear is a stupid excuse. If your school would just get their financial shit together they wouldn't need a Big 10 bailout. The fact that Wake has stayed afloat in the last 4 years should prove that beyond a shadow of a doubt. We make no money, period, and you all are in worse shape financially then us. We've expanded our Football facilities tremendously, bought a baseball stadium, pay a coach 2.3 million dollars a year to get blown out most of the time, and we've been paying a basketball coach we fired 3 years ago half a mil annually...and you all are still in worse shape then us. That's insane.

Last edited:
I don't even think this dude grew up a MD fan. Probably didn't watch ACC bball as a kid- unlike most of the MD fanbase. So he has no sense of the history.

You'd be correct as I became a fan once I attended Maryland (and I'm glad you think that's an insult -- oh noes, he can't be a real fan!!), but that doesn't change the nature of the current college sports business. I'd love to keep playing Duke and UNC, but history and tradition aren't going to pay our bills and allow us to remain viable, as a business or a championship contender, in the future.

You'd be correct as I became a fan once I attended Maryland (and I'm glad you think that's an insult -- oh noes, he can't be a real fan!!), but that doesn't change the nature of the current college sports business. I'd love to keep playing Duke and UNC, but history and tradition aren't going to pay our bills and allow us to remain viable, as a business or a championship contender, in the future.

Let me take a wild guess, you're from NJ?

There's plenty of money/stability in the ACC, fear is a stupid excuse. If your school would just get their financial shit together they wouldn't need a Big 10 bailout.

Unfortunately, Debbie Yow left us in quite the hole. We are attempting to get the "financial shit together." This certainly helps expedite the process. As I said earlier, there is stability for now. However, you are kidding yourself if you don't think FSU/Clemson won't be sniffing around again in the near future. There's a reason FSU voted against the buyout fee as well.

Some more tweets...

ACC already has plan in place. Schools lining up hoping to be considered for membership. League will be very selective with invitations.

ACC now will accelerate debate over UConn/Louisville (among others) & revisit idea of considering basketball schools (e.g. G'town) too.

Add UCONN. Holistically, they replace MD with almost no fuss. No need for non-football schools at this point.

Let me take a wild guess, you're from NJ?

You should read the thread. Again, where I am from is not an insult nor a lack of indication of any fandom. Do you think the majority of Wake fans on the Pit grew up Wake fans or became Wake fans after they attended the University?

This is all about short-term $$$ for Maryland. If they are honest with themselves no one there wants to do this, but they don't have a choice financially...

Back