• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maryland Takes Ball and Goes Home...

No I don't expect people to necessarily like a team growing up, I'm just making fun of the obnoxious New Jerseyites that seem to be pouring into UMD these days.

Swofford is such a screwup.

What do you think, Ph: Commissioner Swofford, Commissioner Delany? Why do I have this feeling that when all the smoke has cleared, the goats will be the winners in this sordid affair? Must be paranoid.

Last edited:
I don't even think this dude grew up a MD fan. Probably didn't watch ACC bball as a kid- unlike most of the MD fanbase. So he has no sense of the history.

What history? Our new "rivalry" with Pitt? The games with VT, Miami, Syracuse, and BC? The ACC I grew up with is dead. Half of the conference is the Big East.

Unfortunately, Debbie Yow left us in quite the hole. We are attempting to get the "financial shit together." This certainly helps expedite the process. As I said earlier, there is stability for now. However, you are kidding yourself if you don't think FSU/Clemson won't be sniffing around again in the near future. There's a reason FSU voted against the buyout fee as well.

SEC doesn't want FSU, Big 12 doesn't want Clemson. That dog won't hunt. The potential profits from better TV deals does not trump their advantage of being big fish in little ponds here in the ACC. If FSU can't stay undefeated in the ACC, they'll be an also-ran in the SEC.

You'd be correct as I became a fan once I attended Maryland (and I'm glad you think that's an insult -- oh noes, he can't be a real fan!!), but that doesn't change the nature of the current college sports business. I'd love to keep playing Duke and UNC, but history and tradition aren't going to pay our bills and allow us to remain viable, as a business or a championship contender, in the future.

No. I'm sure you're a fan. But you shouldn't diminish the passion and desire of your fellow MD fans who grew up watching ACC ball and don't want to leave. You've come on here and acted like anyone opposed to this is a clueless idiot and only those who support the move know what's best for MD- when the anecdotal evidence I've seen suggests most of the MD fans are against this. Maybe they've got the right attitude. Maybe college sports should be about more than money.

Their research works together. Sure definitely sucks to have our mathematics department work with U Chicago. Or engineering with Michigan. etc.

It sure will suck for the U of Chicago people! The thought of someone in academia at Chicago having to work with people from UMd actually amuses me.

I grew up with Maryland basketball. The days of round-robin, every game but four being meaningful and knowing every starting line-up by heart are long gone. The conference hasn't been the same in almost ten years.

SEC doesn't want FSU, Big 12 doesn't want Clemson. That dog won't hunt. The potential profits from better TV deals does not trump their advantage of being big fish in little ponds here in the ACC. If FSU can't stay undefeated in the ACC, they'll be an also-ran in the SEC.

This.

Never understood why FSU fans think the ACC is screwing them over. Sorry you lost to a mediocre NCSU team and can't play for a natty. Can't say the SOS is hurting them, they were #3 in most polls when that happened

Pitt just played Oakland on Saturday night. The game was on ESPN3 and not televised locally. Does that mean Pitt is not in the Pittsburgh market?

a) You're comparing an OOC basketball game to an in-conference football game. Even UNC doesn't have random OOC bball games on tv in Chapel Hill.

b) Yes - Pitt does not own the Pittsburgh tv market. It's a pro market, like DC and Boston.

What history? Our new "rivalry" with Pitt? The games with VT, Miami, Syracuse, and BC? The ACC I grew up with is dead. Half of the conference is the Big East.

I'm not going to disagree that the changes to the ACC suck. I don't like them at all. I wish we could go back to a 7 team conference. But I still wouldn't want to throw away everything and move to the Big Ten. I mean, Wake is never going to have that option. But if we could make the move, I'd be opposed to it.

It sure will suck for the U of Chicago people! The thought of someone in academia at Chicago having to work with people from UMd actually amuses me.

We have like 30 top ten programs.

The validation all these guys need is really amusing

This really is kind of big deal for MD fans, in that respect. They get to dump the conference that never really respected them much -- I broke up with you -- and that has to feel good on some level. Until that basketball opener in Champaign, Ill.

Uh yeah, call back when you're mentioned in the same breath with UVA, Michigan, or Cal

We aren't as good as them overall, but to act like we have zero value is ignorant.

Back