• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maryland Takes Ball and Goes Home...

I say we take Louisville and GTown. That would put football back to 14 and basketball at a dominant 16. Now, if ND is coming full time in football anytime soon then we GTown could cloud things up. However, it would be an awesome slap in the face to MD to take a much school in terms of academics, endowment, and basketball right from their neck of the woods. And it would keep the GTown/Cuse rivalry going.

If there's a more ACC school than Georgetown, I haven't seen it.

Strong national brand, proud basketball tradition, great academic school in a nice place to live. Their football team's had about the same last 50 years as Dook's.

Sign them up.

I believe the argument that MD will make is that the $50 million buyout does not kick in for teams that bail before the end of the academic year. Unless the terms of rule are unclear, MD will lose this argument. (They also have no argument that the buyout is punitive; MD is part of the ACC, and the ACC agreed to it; if MD did not want the buyout clause enforced against them, they needed to declare they were leaving the ACC as soon as that by-law was passed; instead, MD's President said that MD would be in the ACC for "years to come"). This will get resolved with MD paying it all, but just not right away. MD will use a portion of the revenue from the Big 10 to pay this out over time.

because winston salem, durham, chapel hill, syracuse Tallahassee are all paradise

I say we take Louisville and GTown. That would put football back to 14 and basketball at a dominant 16. Now, if ND is coming full time in football anytime soon then we GTown could cloud things up. However, it would be an awesome slap in the face to MD to take a much school in terms of academics, endowment, and basketball right from their neck of the woods. And it would keep the GTown/Cuse rivalry going.

Not a bad idea, but then we start getting into all of the problems that the Big East had with basketball only schools. Not sure if the ACC wants to go down that road right now. However, if the big conferences ever secede from the NCAA, those bball schools become VERY profitable.

Keep in mind that is teh University of Maryland's home newspaper. They are completely trashing the UMD leadership.

But, a few MD posters watched a news conference on a mobile app, so the move makes perfect sense.

They're so gullible.

I believe the argument that MD will make is that the $50 million buyout does not kick in for teams that bail before the end of the academic year. Unless the terms of rule are unclear, MD will lose this argument. (They also have no argument that the buyout is punitive; MD is part of the ACC, and the ACC agreed to it; if MD did not want the buyout clause enforced against them, they needed to declare they were leaving the ACC as soon as that by-law was passed; instead, MD's President said that MD would be in the ACC for "years to come"). This will get resolved with MD paying it all, but just not right away. MD will use a portion of the revenue from the Big 10 to pay this out over time.

This is what I expect to happen. Every team that leaves always says something about the terms of their contract. "We are supposed to wait two years, but we will get out of that" and such. The terms, as I'm aware, always hold up. In some cases, schools like WVU paid 400% of their buyout to leave early.

Not a bad idea, but then we start getting into all of the problems that the Big East had with basketball only schools. Not sure if the ACC wants to go down that road right now. However, if the big conferences ever secede from the NCAA, those bball schools become VERY profitable.

Doubtful. This is about football. It has always been about football, and I do not see a single scenario where it doesn't continue to be about football.

Keep in mind that is the University of Maryland's home newspaper. They are completely trashing the UMD leadership.

But, a few MD posters watched a news conference on a mobile app, so the move makes perfect sense.

The Washington Post hates the University of Maryland and has a long history of trashing us. Calling them our home newspaper is like calling Fox News Obama's television station if its HQ were in DC.

But John Feinstein actually wrote an oped supporting the move, which was a big surprise

Last edited:
Doubtful. This is about football. It has always been about football, and I do not see a single scenario where it doesn't continue to be about football.

I understand this move is about football. But if the conferences gain control of the tournament, revenues go up substantially. The NCAA just signed a 10.8 billion dollar contract for the tourney last year.

Do you think more than 3% of the people in the NY area are Rutgers fans? Do you think the Big Ten is going to be able to charge subscribers in the NY area an extra dollar per month, because people in NY are dying to see Rutgers football on tv? This is something the MD proponents of this deal actually think is going to happen. I think Silver makes a lot of good points in that article.

From what I gather people (or the cable provider) will be paying this higher rate even if BTN is bundled into another package, whether they really want BTN or not? So people actually taking any action to subscribe to BTN is irrelevant. Jim Delaney looks like a genius.

The Washington Post hates the University of Maryland and has a long history of trashing us. Calling them our home newspaper is like calling Fox News Obama's television station if its HQ were in DC.

But John Feinstein actually wrote an oped supporting the move, which was a big surprise

Being in the Big Ten will help Maryland recruit better football players, although the competition year in and year out will be tougher

This quote from the article is really not accurate. You will probably have the same access to football players as before. The ACC has never struggled with talent. Look at any NFL roster. You lose games in the state of Florida and Georgia (though you probably believe with certainty that GT leaves too, so I'll toss that out), and that hurts from a recruiting perspective whether you are willing to admit it or not.

From what I gather people (or the cable provider) will be paying this higher rate even if BTN is bundled into another package, whether they really want BTN or not? So people actually taking any action to subscribe to BTN is irrelevant. Jim Delaney looks like a genius.

Jim Delaney is a genius. He is a puppet master in college athletics, and he is taking a product that cannot obtain superiority on the field of play and make it a juggernaut financially.

Once again, the main unanswered question throughout these 42 pages is why these MD losers are on a Wake Forest bb arguing that they don't suck and that going to the B14 is great news for them. What kind of person does this? Why do you need validation from Wake Forest fans who could give a shit if you stay or go?

Only one Freudian answer fits, defense mechanism. This Wikipedia definition nails these Turtlebots: Defense mechanisms "are psychological strategies brought into play by the unconscious mind to manipulate, deny, or distort reality (through processes including, but not limited to, Repression, Identification, or Rationalization), and to maintain a socially acceptable self-image or self-schema."

We have yet to see if it happens. I'm thinking it won't- I think it's more likely there's no BTN in the NY area if they try to have every subscriber charged an extra dollar per month. It's not a limitless amount that subscribers are going to pay. This idea that by adding Rutgers you open up the NY market is just silly IMO. There is almost no one clamoring for Rutgers football on their tv. All we've heard up until now are the proponents pie in the sky figures. Now the people who are a bit more skeptical, who can think a bit more critically, people like Silver, are taking a look at the numbers and starting to weigh in.

Last edited:
But they didnt vote for it! Therefore our silly majority voted rules dont apply in a court of law as God is their witness. Or something like that, so I've heard.

If I vote against a tax increase, I don't have to pay the increased taxes. That's how it works.

Jim Delaney is a genius. He is a puppet master in college athletics, and he is taking a product that cannot obtain superiority on the field of play and make it a juggernaut financially.

Don't confuse genius with asshole. It doesn't take a genius to do what Delaney is doing. It just takes a person who only cares about money.

Back