• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maya Angelou Dead at 86

The class was almost completely filled with English majors, with a few students selected by her. The waiting list was just for show.

I was a computer science major and I got in. I think I brought donuts to the registrar's office and asked to be put in or something.

Apparently I was part of the last or second to last class she taught. Some girls that were in the class with me are getting interviewed by a WS station.

Apparently I was part of the last or second to last class she taught. Some girls that were in the class with me are getting interviewed by a WS station.

I got asked to be interviewed in Phoenix but I turned it down.

Interesting. I am glad she was affiliated with WF. I always assumed she probably could have worked elsewhere if she wanted.

It occured to me today that in four years as a student and years of visits to the campus before that while growing up in NC, I never once laid eyes on her in person - not even at convocations or graduations. Not a criticism or judgment - just a regret on my part. She must have been a very private person later in life.

I used to see her at TJ Maxx on Robinhood a lot...saw her once at Babies R Us by Hanes Mall and she had a cart full of toys and baby supplies. It was around Christmas, so I imagine she was donating to a family/charity. She was a big JHo fan and went to a lot of basketball games when he was playing.

She wasn't exactly "recognizable". She wasn't dressed fancy or blinged out, although I am sure she could have been if she wanted...so you might have seen her out and not realized it. She just looked like everyone else. I didn't realize who she was the very first time I saw her at TJ Maxx until she started chatting with the cashier.

She lived quite a life. She definitely lived it to the fullest. Glad she considered Winston-Salem and WFU home.

She was supposed to be teaching a class next semester, according to one of the Wake pages.

I was a computer science major and I got in. I think I brought donuts to the registrar's office and asked to be put in or something.

I was a Religion major, and got in the class Spring 2007. It was in the Humanities department at the time. Not sure that was always the case.

I met her after seeing the all-female performance of McBeth which she directed around 1986 or so. I did not realize the significance of who she was and the icon that she would become, which is cool I guess because I wasn't all awkward like I sometimes am when meeting a celebrity.

The class was almost completely filled with English majors, with a few students selected by her. The waiting list was just for show.

I was a Politics major, and I took it my junior year. IIRC, the class's final - which was a series of dramatic readings - was open to at least the campus community, if not the public as a whole. I think we did it in Scales.

I understood that she wrote a recommendation letter for one of our Rhodes Scholars a number of years back. You could do worse than get a recommendation letter from Maya Angelou.

Westboro Baptist Church is planning on picketing her funeral. Who the hell do they not picket?

TNR decided to take this moment to mock her for preferring to be called "doctor"

They don't even surprise me anymore, and thankfully I think that they've managed to make a joke of themselves... so while yes, it is incredibly disrespectful and sad (pathetic), it's hardly worth paying attention to.

For some reason, tmz has released the 911 tape with the caretaker.

Because she was famous and they are attention whores?

Anyone catch Morning Joe? They played a clip of one of her speeches or readings, and I was curious where it's from...

I dont even....
1HjirRC.png

Back