• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maybe Just Settle Down, ICE

Non enforcement? Obama deported more people than Bush. And before you say DACA was non enforcement, it was a determination of how best to prioritize resources- aka deporting criminals instead of high school students, and allowing kids to lead as close to a normal life as possible.

No he didn't and I've been over this a million times and am not providing any more links. He counted the way people were deported differently. People apprehended at the border were counted more often as removals. You can see a trend over the years of total removals (both at the border and in the interior) making a precipitous decline, and all this while illegal entries overall went up. ICE and BP agents all know this. I'm done arguing this point. Obama was an absolute joke when it came to immigration enforcement. Period. End of story.

And DACA was a way to prioritize, yes. The question is whether or not he went beyond the scope of his powers in actually granting a benefit rather than just ignoring a category for removals. Dude even had a fucking service center built for god knows how many millions to specifically to handle DACA and strategically located right there in NoVA so they could oversee every aspect of it. And now that it may be going away...hmmm.

???

If the expectations have changed since they received their training, or they have received no follow-up training then I absolutely 100% believe they should retrain these guys. I have no idea if ICE agents have continuing education courses or anything like that, but to think that they should just be put out there without even a refresher course on what they are doing because they completed it 8 years ago is insane.

The law analogy is awful too because even if you believe the ICE agents were doing 100% paperwork, it's still related to their field.

You can still get my drift with the analogies.

Government workers receive all sorts of ongoing training, and 99% of it is bullshit compulsory annual training on things like computer security, ethics, active shooters, etc... They will get training when new immigration laws are passed, or when the law changes due to a SCOTUS or other precedent decision. What they aren't going to be trained on again is how to arrest somebody, or how to read somebody their rights in Spanish. Basically the shit they learned at FLETC.

Now this case where they showed up for 4th grader is one where optics are a consideration. It doesn't look good to do that and somebody, like maybe their boss, should've had sense enough to say no. But maybe there were reasons why he didn't. Maybe they apprehended her parents and he was sent there to get her. Maybe they figured if they tried it at the school rather than at home they would significantly reduce the chance of a violent encounter, which is a legitimate concern. Maybe this particular agent just made a bad decision. I have no idea. ICE is not going to good press regardless.

From the New Yorker article:

The agent was especially concerned about a new policy that allows ICE to investigate cases of immigrants who may have paid smugglers to bring their children or relatives into the country. ICE considers these family members guilty of placing children “directly in harm’s way,” as one spokeswoman recently put it, and the agency will hold them “accountable for their role in these conspiracies.” According to ICE, these measures will help combat “a constant humanitarian threat,” but the agent said that rationale was just a pretext to increase arrests and eventually deport more people. “We seem to be targeting the most vulnerable people, not the worst.” The agent also believes that the policy will make it harder for the government to handle unaccompanied children who show up at the border. “You’re going to have kids stuck in detention because parents are too scared of being prosecuted to want to pick them up!” the agent said.

I understand this concern, but smuggling and anybody conspiring to smuggle has long been a big no-no in immigration law. Yesterday a bunch of people got cooked in the back of truck in San Antonio and people routinely die on smuggling runs across the border. I'm all for anything to help stamp it out.

At the end of the day you save the most money and get the most results by scaring people into thinking they can't get away with it. Then they'll be less likely to come in the first place. Going after the pre-schoolers is probably the most effective way to accomplish that.

I'm hoping that this, like most of what Trump tries to do, will lead to a few headlines, but no real change. The people who voted for Trump will never know the difference if some headlines or a few charts say "immigration is at an all time low!"

I'm hoping that this, like most of what Trump tries to do, will lead to a few headlines, but no real change. The people who voted for Trump will never know the difference if some headlines or a few charts say "immigration is at an all time low!"

This is about the only issue where Trump has made a difference, and it has been done entirely through rhetoric and administration policy, just as it was when Obama was President.

Did one of you guys have BKF deported? Haven't heard anything from him since the first of the month. I'm pretty sure he is legal, but then NC looks at law a little differently, sometimes.

Haven't seen much of him since his hero was investigated by the FBI.

Back