• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 14: Miami Hurricanes @ WF - 2:15 Saturday - CW Network

well that freshman for Miami (averaging like 3ppg coming in) also went off and put up a career high today 😂, but ours was better :thatsright:
Hoo boy, there's no shame in that kid scoring 21 today. He looks like a first-rounder to me.

Thanks Conor and nice summary. Two other things that seemed to hurt Deacs in stretches was Efton floating to perimeter on both O and D side of court. The big man needs to be in the paint and pounding the boards when shots go up. He did it in spades at the very end of OT getting all the tips, but end of regulation he was outside way too much leaving Moore getting easy buckets and think he could have gotten even more on O side if he focused on paint and not being around 3 line. But make no mistake the big man is a diff maker and a big reason we got the W. Just think He needs some Timmy D coaching to focus on paint as he is no Jokic.

second thing is 2 fouls on Sallis looked like clear blocks as he is so long and gets up so high. And not the first game he seemingly is blocking shots but getting fouls called instead. Seems some game tape should be sent into ACC office so the refs realize he is that good on D and is able to get that high to get all ball instead of quick whistle assuming getting wrist.
Kind of playing devil's advocate ... but every 5 you see is going to be shooting 3s and doing at least some floating on the perimeter. It's a trickle-down from the NBA having zero interest in back-to-the-basket 5s who can't stretch the floor (cough, Bacot, cough, Edey). I think Wake is going to live with the occasional 3-pointer missed from ER3 and Keller as long as they're in the neighborhood of 18 offensive rebounds.

Hoo boy, there's no shame in that kid scoring 21 today. He looks like a first-rounder to me.

Kind of playing devil's advocate ... but every 5 you see is going to be shooting 3s and doing at least some floating on the perimeter. It's a trickle-down from the NBA having zero interest in back-to-the-basket 5s who can't stretch the floor (cough, Bacot, cough, Edey). I think Wake is going to live with the occasional 3-pointer missed from ER3 and Keller as long as they're in the neighborhood of 18 offensive rebounds.
George reminded me of Bobi and that's before I learned he's a European player. He had 12, 10, and 12 in his previous 3 games on 4-9, 2-8, and 4-9 shooting from deep. Looks like George's breakout is coming about a month before Bobi's did. I'll be surprised if he stays in college after this year.

The college game is evolving like the NBA game. But it won't get to where the NBA game is because the centers aren't nearly as talented and the NBA can select out the types of players that don't fit this evolution. The big question is how long college teams can win with traditional post 5s, traditional PFs who can't shoot, pass first PGs, shooting guards who can't defend multiple positions and other elements slowly being phased out of the NBA.

This team has elements that mirror the modern NBA. Scoring PG, versatile wings who can get their own shot, make plays, and rebound, and bigs who can hit threes.

Random note from rewatching the game, I really enjoyed the travel called on Miami with 35 seconds left against Cleveland who reacted like it was insane, as did Larranaga. Replay clear as day even after he established a questionable pivot foot he drags his pivot, then picks it up and takes two more little panic steps. Comical. And I think the basketball gods noticed that bullshit because his potential game-winner in regulation looked pure. Still not sure how that didn't go in.

Second random note, while I've got nothing against Reid's choice of hairstyle, the number of times he's messing around trying to fix those bands is kind of insane when you start noticing it. And like, all the way down the court and into the possession. Pretty sure one entry from Sallis in the first half he was still trying to fix one side so he couldn't get both hands on the pass. Maybe needs to rock the Sallis look...

Still can't believe Miami shot 48% from deep, 86% from the line, Reid and Carr combined for 4 buckets and one free throw - and we won. Our guards held Joseph and Pack to 7 buckets on 26 shots. And Reid just dominated the boards in OT without fouling out. What an effort.

W still matter. Every game has an impact on both the efficiency and resume side. Efficiency has been beaten to death, so let’s look at the impact on resume.

Q1/Q2 - it rewards teams on a sliding scale for wins. Want to see the NET really punish us? Lose a couple of those Q3/Q4 games and get penalized on both the efficiency AND resume side. W in those games basically avoid the penalty. But the very large penalty for losing those means winning matters.

There’s no “reward” on the resume side for beating bad teams. So the lesson is there’s only downside from even scheduling them — unless you beat them up so badly that it improves your efficiency ranking. And the bar gets higher the higher you move up. So I get to the same conclusion. Don’t play those games. Instead, give yourself more chances for resume boosters.
Serious question - How does it handle teams who have different players throughout the year? We are clearly a different team with Reid. With Reid, we very well could’ve been 14-0.

Forbes: "I'm kind of an eye test guy. I understand numbers and metrics and all that, but sometimes you just have to use common sense"
I know we all love hearing this because most of us feel the same way…but at some point, I would like to hear him acknowledge that we need to play less bottom feeder teams in our OOC schedule. Forbes can talk eye test all he wants, but that’s not what the selection committee cares about. I just hope he’s not too stubborn thinking eye test will help us when we already got burned by that a couple years ago.

So two games in a row we've had a player hit a dagger 3-pointer from the baseline to make it a two possession game with the shot clock off. I could get used to that.

Sent from my SM-S711U using Tapatalk

I get NET and think it’s better than some of the alternatives, but the idea that a team doesn’t get rewarded unless they beat their opponent by more than the expected amount is bullshit. Fix that and I’m all in. Until then, NET leaves so many angles uncovered when evaluating a team for tourney selection.

Forbes on the NET: "That's so stupid.... that's the dumbest thing ever."

Everyone loves the eye test until a team like last years UNC team gets in the tournament as an 8-seed. We’re not the kind of team that’ll ever get the benefit of the doubt by the eye test in a marginal case. It’ll be the teams we hate.

George reminded me of Bobi and that's before I learned he's a European player. He had 12, 10, and 12 in his previous 3 games on 4-9, 2-8, and 4-9 shooting from deep. Looks like George's breakout is coming about a month before Bobi's did. I'll be surprised if he stays in college after this year.
6-8, guard skills, shoots like that, shitty draft class -- he gone.

His emergence probably doesn't happen without injuries to Pack and Poplar; now they're going to be that much better when Poplar comes back.

I think it goes way beyond that. You seem to be phrasing it as a necessarily evil. I think we need our 5s (Reid and Keller) to be threats from the outside if we play Carr at the 4 and want to get much offense out of him in the paint (otherwise he’s somewhat neutered just standing in the corner).

In the 2nd half of yesterday’s game, Miami was agggressively clogging the paint (Forbes made a comment in his presser about forcing tough shots too much and not looking for enough open threes). But when Keller hit that shot from the corner it actually slightly helped free up the middle.

Back