• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 17: @ NC State -- Tuesday 7 pm ACCN

Allowing 33 FTs was much more of a problem than allowing them to take midrange jumpers. Getting destroyed by Middlebrooks was the main problem here.
Because, again, we were pressing the perimeter instead of being in an interior defensive position in the lane. Failure to adjust. We were defending shots they didn't want to take, repeatedly putting us in bad position to defend the shots they were taking.

State wants to take threes, they’d taken 17 a game at least in every game before last night. Every team wants to take threes and shoot layups and every defense wants to prevent teams from doing that.
State hit their mid range jumpers and got to the line and tip of the cap. It sucks but we move on

State wants to take threes, they’d taken 17 a game at least in every game before last night. Every team wants to take threes and shoot layups and every defense wants to prevent teams from doing that.
State hit their mid range jumpers and got to the line and tip of the cap. It sucks but we move on
Of course every team wants to make threes. Well coached teams stop shooting them when they aren't making them, and find other ways to score. Poorly coached teams think they are the 2018 Warriors and continue to force them despite not making them, thinking they are the only way to score.

Of course every team wants to make threes. Well coached teams stop shooting them when they aren't making them, and find other ways to score. Poorly coached teams think they are the 2018 Warriors and continue to force them despite not making them, thinking they are the only way to score.
State wants to take threes. Wake was preventing them from doing that. If the question is “does Wake want their opponent taking mid range jumpers or do they want to adjust their game plan so the opponent stops taking mid range jumpers” the answer is always the former

Cam was legit horrific on offense. His shots didn't even hit rim. Going 1 on 3 every time it was tough to watch.

State wants to take threes. Wake was preventing them from doing that. If the question is “does Wake want their opponent taking mid range jumpers or do they want to adjust their game plan so the opponent stops taking mid range jumpers” the answer is always the former
Well that is a bad answer when the result is a loss that could have been avoided.

Keatts

Keatts is 10-3 against Wake. 2 of those losses came during his worst season. I am fucking tired of losing to State
This is too incredible. People think Keatts is not a good coach? 10-3 sounds like he OWNS us, or nearly does.

Also, one more, as I can't help it:

Forbes: "I kept IMPLORING the team to move the ball, move the ball, look opposite, it's wide open. And they did not do it for whatever reason. They just over-dribbled."

He's got 3 guards who dribble, since PFred does not try to be a ball handler, he catches and shoots or catches and 1 dribble hot potato gets rid of it - making him easy to guard - even though I think he could be: Boopie/Cam/Sallis.

He's very angry at those 3 guys since FSU, now State --- they did not "execute the gameplan for whatever reason" and now he's "imploring them to stop dribbling and move the ball" and they are not listening.

As a coach, what are his options if they are not listening and thus, sending us to the NIT (if we get a bid):

Sit them? Play PFred, Ituka, Canka, Clark?

Make them run stairs until they pass out?

Take away the ridiculous large TV screen and ban middle-school gaming?

Use the old locker room?

Ban headphones and make them ride to the game in silence?

Make them stand in line in the cafeteria with the regular students, and eat regular food (although I am sure WF food options are MUCH better than they were in past decades)?

At practice, make them drink out of a water hose/fountain - no energy drinks.

Make them run stairs at the end of practice, stop and do 10 pushups and 5 burpees, then make 5 consecutive free throws without a miss. Miss? Then start over. Everyone stays until everyone completes the drill.

Put them in timeout?

Ban all fun?

We just don't value the ball. We're turning it over 15-20 times per game. And last night we didn't play solid D and fouled too much. When you allow the opponent to shoot > 50%, you commit > 25 fouls and > 15 TOs, you're not going to win many games. We're a talented team but not a great one.

Then Clemson loses. We could seriously be facing an NCAA tourney where only 2 ACC teams get in - UNC and Duke. Shoot me now.

Is he really better than that at coaching? What has a Forbes team at Wake significantly improved on durimg the season that was an issue early on? We knew going into last night we couldnt afford to turn the ball over a lot as we are prone to. What did we do, we turned it over a ton. State didnt make a 3, Burns was clearly sick the whole game and could only play for a few minutes at a time and they gave us 4 free points with the double technical and their coach ejected. All that and we still couldnt get it done. Forbes has a good eye for talent, he’s a great listen in an interview, he‘s probably loved by his players, but a good “coach” don’t know about that. Hildreth is a ball hog with tunnel vision that makes him think at times he’s playing one against five, has been since he’s been here. A good coach would‘ve either fixed that or had his ass sitting on the bench, but Hildreth is still out there hogging the ball and taking bad shots. We had no answers for State’s 2nd half defense and didn’t seem to make any visible adjustments. Reid continues to be foul prone. I just have a hard time seeing where Forbes is a good “coach?” He’s good at putting together a team with the portal, but as far as taking a team and making them better as the season goes on, not seeing it and unless that changes his teams will continue to disappoint. Which is typical for Wake Forest teams, so he fits right in. Up at 3am because I can“t sleep rant over!
We typically make adjustments and almost alway have a gameplay (light years ahead of the previous two clowns). I get the frustration with the turnovers, some of them are stupid af, but that's not all on the coach. Last night was not his best night and he'd probably be the first to tell you that. Monsanto changes things with this team and I think is a guy that can bail you out when things bog down. Lets all hope he gets good news later this week and see what happens. Its too early to panic after a toss-up game like last night.

Just for reference regarding Forbes being a bad coach (or whatever that narrative is being spouted), Torvik has us as the most likely team to finish 3rd in the ACC, and KP has us tying State for 3rd at 12-8.

Last night was quite painful, but these takes are pretty extreme.

I agree we have deficiencies where we get soft against teams that get in our face. Last night was a collapse, and maybe the minutes are catching up to our guards.

The season is still in front of us though and, even though it's once again a bad ACC compared to other P6 conferences, we are in really good shape to finish 3rd or 4th in the conference if we play like we have been for most of the year.
This. Stay the course and we'll wind up where we need to be. No need to panic yet.

We typically make adjustments and almost alway have a gameplay (light years ahead of the previous two clowns). I get the frustration with the turnovers, some of them are stupid af, but that's not all on the coach. Last night was not his best night and he'd probably be the first to tell you that. Monsanto changes things with this team and I think is a guy that can bail you out when things bog down. Lets all hope he gets good news later this week and see what happens. Its too early to panic after a toss-up game like last night.
Light years ahead of the previous 2 clown isn't saying a whole lot. We keep doing the same things that hurt us, so either the players refuse to listen or Forbes isn't getting his point across. I'm just trying to think of something we can say, yeah we really improved in that area from the start of the season? I can't think of one, but might be missing something. The early losses pre-Reid left us little room for error to make the dance, so maybe it's too early to panic, but we simply don't have many opportunities to get quality road wins to make up for that and make the dance. Not making the dance with a team this talented is a disappointment. If we get most of the current players back next season and it's not a tournament team, then Forbes needs to be fired after next season.

Is it too much to ask the modern day coach to at least consider going to a 2-3 zone or 1-3-1 if you want to pressure a little?

State couldn't hit shit from out there but we stayed man and gave up a ton of easy short shots.

Is it too much to ask the modern day coach to at least consider going to a 2-3 zone or 1-3-1 if you want to pressure a little?

State couldn't hit shit from out there but we stayed man and gave up a ton of easy short shots.
We ran the 1-3-1 to start this year and also threw it in a ton last year.

Isn't Forbes' show tonight? What is preventing you from submitting or asking this question?

This weekly hour-long program covers the latest in Wake Forest men's basketball and fans will have the chance to submit questions via Twitter to @StanCottenWF or via email to wakeradio@learfield.com. The show is available across the Wake Forest Sports Network and the Wake Forest Athletics app.

https://godeacs.com/news/2023/11/7/mens-basketball-steve-forbes-show-set-to-air-november-20

Back