• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 27: WF at Duke -- Tuesday 7 pm: ESPN

Duke player turned around and hip checked Monsanto in transition. Not exaggerating

I'll be the first one to complain about dook, but I did go back (as ESPN with all their technology never showed it again) and look at it. The dook player looked more like he was trying to take a charge then Monsanto tried to avoid him but ran into his knee. The base line ref was in a perfect position to see that action since it was right in front of him.

If was a foul, but I can't say it was a body check like we've seen in the past.

If Moore tips it first which appears he did and then Williams stuffs it is it still not goaltending??

That's the way I saw it, and I thought that was goaltending. I guess I'm wrong, or maybe just not in that dump.

The interview mentioned a last attempt long pass in but feared the low scoreboard. I am so old that i do remember a last second Wake pass that actually did hit the scoreboard (or so it was claimed, no tv proof of it). We lost that game also. Don't recall who we were playing

Last edited:
Correct, even if the ball's momentum is carrying it away from the goal.

The backboard camera is useless because it is at an angle. The only correct camera position would be way up in the rafters with a zoom focus, square on the midpoint inside the rim. I'm almost 100% sure such would show 2-6 inches of the ball still inside the rim.

Two if a girl was reviewing it and six if a guy was reviewing it.

There is already an HD replay out there, and I watched it multiple times. Williams' left hand and/or Moore tip the ball when it is maybe out of the cylinder, but then it goes back over the cylinder, where Williams recontrols it, and then dunks it through. It would be one thing if Williams grabbed it with his left hand, kept possession of it as he brought it over the rim and then got his right hand on it to complete the dunk. However, there was definitely no possession between the first tip, and then when he touched it once again when it was over the cylinder. So it seems to me the first tip was an OK play - but the second touch within the cylinder would be basket interference.

There is already an HD replay out there, and I watched it multiple times. Williams' left hand and/or Moore tip the ball when it is maybe out of the cylinder, but then it goes back over the cylinder, where Williams recontrols it, and then dunks it through. It would be one thing if Williams grabbed it with his left hand, kept possession of it as he brought it over the rim and then got his right hand on it to complete the dunk. However, there was definitely no possession between the first tip, and then when he touched it once again when it was over the cylinder. So it seems to me the first tip was an OK play - but the second touch within the cylinder would be basket interference.

I just don’t know the rule, but even if Williams it to himself (and one could argue the other player hit it too), is it still goaltending on his own tip? I thought so but really don’t know. I’d like to think the refs know, but I have little confidence

At least 2 of the refs waved off the basket with the interference finger circle. Then how was the score on the board so they should have needed incontrovertible evidence to overturn.

I just don’t know the rule, but even if Williams it to himself (and one could argue the other player hit it too), is it still goaltending on his own tip? I thought so but really don’t know. I’d like to think the refs know, but I have little confidence

What if someone takes a shot, misses, and I tip the ball, but the ball rolls around the rim several times. I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to jump back and dunk it through while it is still on the rim. No one else can, so I am pretty sure the shooter (in this case tipper) isn't allowed to either.

Now for some good news.....

We only have two more months of RatFace, refs in the tank for him, and Scheyer looked like a deer in headlights.

You cannot tip the ball to yourself and then touch it while it's above the cylinder. There is no circumstance at all where a player is allow to touch the ball when any part of it is over the cylinder unless they are following through on a dunk attempt initiated from outside of the cylinder.

Sincerely,
Someone who reffed basketball for over a decade.

You cannot tip the ball to yourself and then touch it while it's above the cylinder. There is no circumstance at all where a player is allow to touch the ball when any part of it is over the cylinder unless they are following through on a dunk attempt initiated from outside of the cylinder.

Sincerely,
Someone who reffed basketball for over a decade.

Well, then it was pretty clearly the incorrect call which is doubly troublesome given that they overturned the call on the court (despite the scoreboard operator for some reason counting the 2 pts prior to replay)

Yeah, I'm not seeing how it was conclusive that the ball was out of the cylinder.

I don't know if the refs get a different camera shot for replays than we do on TV.

I won't be shocked if the ACC releases a statement apologizing for it tomorrow.

We made more 2’s, more 3’s, had more assists and rebounds, and had the same number of turnovers….yet Duke shot 19 ft’s to our 10.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not seeing how it was conclusive that the ball was out of the cylinder.

I don't know if the refs get a different camera shot for replays than we do on TV.

Hard for me to envision the ACC apologizing for it. Any other team than dook, maybe.

It has been so long since we won at Duke. There were no smartphones. I had an intramural basketball game that night and the radio feed of the game was being played in the gym. (Important note, my team won too.) I think Liquid Karma reffed that game.

Actually I think that was the 1996 win at Duke. We won at Duke so often then I can’t keep it straight.

The ACC has one goal in basketball. Duke. Their second goal. Duke.

Don't hold your breath for any apology.

Honestly, I’m very encouraged. We have a coach who knows what they’re doing for the first time in 10 years and we have players that compete until the end of the game. Let’s run the table to end the regular season and wreck shit in the ACCT and NCAAT.

Back