• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

McCreary Indoor Practice Center - Collegiate Arms Race Thread

I was on campus earlier this year and it looks like a different place. I haven't even been gone that long.

Athletics makes up nearly 20% of the giving opportunities on that page.

I count $76 million in athletic opportunities. In a $1 billion campaign, that's 7.6%. Perhaps we're looking at different figures?

I count $76 million in athletic opportunities. In a $1 billion campaign, that's 7.6%. Perhaps we're looking at different figures?

Athletics makes up nearly 20% of the giving opportunities on that page.

$76 million plus the costs for the facilities they don't even list. Perhaps even the admin is a bit embarrassed about the amount of money they are raising for athletics.

Would love to see what the renovated quad dorms look like.
I think back to our suites with cramped cinder block rooms and bunk beds..........light years different from dorm rooms today.
However, at the time, they worked, and were almost indestructible.

How about the old suite bathroom with a single toilet/no door?
I lived in the dorms my first two years and took literally zero dumps in the suite bathroom. I'd usually wait until after 5 p.m. and hit the single-stall outside the President's office in Reynolda; on Thursdays I'd snag an Old Gold & Black on the way and post up for a good 15-20 minutes.

I'm very aware of what Wake Will is dedicated to. Very little of that is dedicated to improving undergrad academic facilities. And none of those have personalized web-pages and publicity campaigns like the Field House.

Farrell cost $55 million. Scales renovation will be $25 million. I'm not sure what dorm renovation or the HES building cost, and there is even more going on than that. I think that more is hyped up around athletics because athletics are hyped up in general, as well as the fact that alumni with non arts, business, or HES degrees might not be as excited about projects like these, while athletics are applicable for everyone. Maybe there is an unfair disparity in the attention given for academics relative athletics, but I think you can argue about why it's done. I don't think that the relative levels of spending for athletics versus academics is at all unreasonable.

I lived in the dorms my first two years and took literally zero dumps in the suite bathroom. I'd usually wait until after 5 p.m. and hit the single-stall outside the President's office in Reynolda; on Thursdays I'd snag an Old Gold & Black on the way and post up for a good 15-20 minutes.

Explain again why you wouldn't just poop in the toilet that's 2 steps from your room?

$76 million plus the costs for the facilities they don't even list. Perhaps even the admin is a bit embarrassed about the amount of money they are raising for athletics.

I see - you're just referring to what is listed on that page, correct? That page doesn't include the $400 million dedicated to the med center. There is about 7-8% of the campaign dedicated to athletics.

People wanting more emphasis on academics need to start a Wake academic forum and generate charitable interest in academics. I'm sure there'd be a lot of hits. Athletics are what they are, and NO ONE -- NOT ANYBODY -- can accuse Wake of placing too much interest in athletics relative to our peers. In fact, more emphasis needs to be made, to the extent that the administration needs to be completely overhauled to be more devoted to our ability to compete in the ACC.

No shit. We ain't come to wake to play school.

That's how they still are now - quad dorms have hardly changed at all I imagine. Definitely in need for a revamp. Lived in a "double" with Cumberland in Davis sophomore year and it's probably smaller than a single at most other schools.

Physical layout is pretty much the same. However, all suites now have door locks/key code devices and air conditioning. That was not the case in the late '80s.

THose were plush. Are the bathrooms different now?

Has the new Clemson Football Complex been mentioned? This ish is insane!

Career Development & Leadership Center
Players’ Lounge that includes: barber shop, arcade, bowling alley, laser tag, billiards, ping pong and basketball
Indoor replica of The Hill and Howard’s Rock
24-seat HD theater
Indoor golf simulator
Indoor slide

Top training/rehab facility
50-person plunge pools inside locker room
20,000 square-foot weight room
First-of-its-kind recovery/nap rooms
Nutrition center
Dining facility
State-of-the-art position meeting rooms
First-of-its-kind recruiting war room
Sand Volleyball Court
Outdoor Grilling and Kitchen Area

https://slate.adobe.com/cp/b8HAd/?DB_O

I think the difference between Athletics and Academics when it comes to funding of projects also comes from a lot of people following up their years at Wake with additional schooling (Hi BKF). For me personally and other people I know that don't live in North Carolina the only thing that keeps us connected to the university is athletics. That is one reason why having such shitty sports team really hurts alumni connections for Wake, which they don't seem to realize. When it comes to giving money, Wake provided me with lifelong friends, experiences, etc... but only a degree that was used as a stepping stone for another more prestigious degree. So its very easy to be like Wake Athletics gets my money because that's who I cheer for and keeps me connected, but advanced degree schools get my general money because that's whats front an center on the resume, that's where my job that provides the money comes from.

I think the difference between Athletics and Academics when it comes to funding of projects also comes from a lot of people following up their years at Wake with additional schooling (Hi BKF). For me personally and other people I know that don't live in North Carolina the only thing that keeps us connected to the university is athletics. That is one reason why having such shitty sports team really hurts alumni connections for Wake, which they don't seem to realize. When it comes to giving money, Wake provided me with lifelong friends, experiences, etc... but only a degree that was used as a stepping stone for another more prestigious degree. So its very easy to be like Wake Athletics gets my money because that's who I cheer for and keeps me connected, but advanced degree schools get my general money because that's whats front an center on the resume, that's where my job that provides the money comes from.

I have a few issues with this, but agree for the most part. Success in sports pays off for Wake in ways nobody can easily predict or measure.

That Clemson facility is ridiculous. How much are they spending on that thing?

Bob -

I'm confused a bit. I get that the decision was made to retain the original orientation and not rotate the fields as originally depicted. But are there going to be 2 outdoor FieldTurf fields or 1 ? If 1, why didn't they retain the existing FieldTurf ( middle ) field ? The photos seem to show a half-field of grass or the original middle FieldTurf field while the original grass field gets rebuilt with FieldTurf. Thanks.

Bob -

I'm confused a bit. I get that the decision was made to retain the original orientation and not rotate the fields as originally depicted. But are there going to be 2 outdoor FieldTurf fields or 1 ? If 1, why didn't they retain the existing FieldTurf ( middle ) field ? The photos seem to show a half-field of grass or the original middle FieldTurf field while the original grass field gets rebuilt with FieldTurf. Thanks.

Just guessing here - the existing field turf field was an older generation field turf than is at the stadium and presumably at other fieldturf fields we would play on. There was a noticeable difference between the surfaces.

Back