• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's Tennis loses to Northwestern, 4-3, in the Round of 64

Va is better than us, but it is clear that our guys believed they could win today. See good things happening with this program as long as the administration doesn't torpedo it.

Not over!

Delcore on serve in the 2nd set. Lee in a breaker. Ho going to a 3rd.

We have a fighting chance in all three of those.

Delcore got broken at 4-4 in the 2nd set and the match is over

Hopkins L 6-3, 6-2
Kreyman L 6-4, 6-4
Amogh L 6-1, 6-3
Delcore L 6-1, 6-4

Ho split sets DNF
Lee down 6-7 DNF

GO DEACS! Great tournament

Awesome tournament deacs! Hope we can host an ncaa tourney match.

Great tournament. It is so difficult to pull off upsets in tennis; we went down swinging today and didn't rest on the success of yesterday.

Great coach, great recruiter. Wake tennis is on the upswing.

Will we move up into the top 20 of the NCAA rankings? That would be nice.

Will we move up into the top 20 of the NCAA rankings? That would be nice.

From my understanding, it's more difficult to move up/down in the rankings towards the end of the season. Tennis rankings are done quite oddly. The first six weeks are done by humans through a voting committee. It's during this period when a lot of the moving goes on because underrated teams get moved to more appropriate rankings (the same going for overrated teams). So if you're a team who's ranked in the sixties and you beat a team that has a top 25 ranking, chances are the voting committee is going to bump your ranking up (Wake started the season ranked 66th in the Jan. 3 release. By the final human calculated rankings on Feb. 19, we were 31st.) After the first six weeks the computers take over the rankings and teams are assigned numerical values based on their current ranking. You get points for wins and percentages deducted for losses (it's kinda confusing and there's more to it than this but here's the official wording):

"The way the points are distributed – points for wins; percentages deducted for losses – they consider a team’s won-loss record, strength of schedule and depth of wins and losses; and significant wins and losses (with bonus points for
road wins). The formula works as follows: Sum of points from ‘x’ best wins for that rankings period divided by [the
‘x’ best countable wins for that particular ranking period + Points from all losses].

Using Wake as an example again, we've moved around the 30-20 range since the computers took over (22nd, 24th, 28th, 28th, 25th, 26th, 25th, 24th). Our only "bad loss" was to Carolina on the 19th at home, but that was probably negated by the road win over Clemson two days later, who was ranked a spot ahead of us. I'd say at best we move up four or five spots, for beating Duke. For anyone more interested in how this is done: http://www.itatennis.com/Assets/12-13+DI+Rankings+Manual.pdf

From my understanding, it's more difficult to move up/down in the rankings towards the end of the season. Tennis rankings are done quite oddly. The first six weeks are done by humans through a voting committee. It's during this period when a lot of the moving goes on because underrated teams get moved to more appropriate rankings (the same going for overrated teams). So if you're a team who's ranked in the sixties and you beat a team that has a top 25 ranking, chances are the voting committee is going to bump your ranking up (Wake started the season ranked 66th in the Jan. 3 release. By the final human calculated rankings on Feb. 19, we were 31st.) After the first six weeks the computers take over the rankings and teams are assigned numerical values based on their current ranking. You get points for wins and percentages deducted for losses (it's kinda confusing and there's more to it than this but here's the official wording):

"The way the points are distributed – points for wins; percentages deducted for losses – they consider a team’s won-loss record, strength of schedule and depth of wins and losses; and significant wins and losses (with bonus points for
road wins). The formula works as follows: Sum of points from ‘x’ best wins for that rankings period divided by [the
‘x’ best countable wins for that particular ranking period + Points from all losses].

Using Wake as an example again, we've moved around the 30-20 range since the computers took over (22nd, 24th, 28th, 28th, 25th, 26th, 25th, 24th). Our only "bad loss" was to Carolina on the 19th at home, but that was probably negated by the road win over Clemson two days later, who was ranked a spot ahead of us. I'd say at best we move up four or five spots, for beating Duke. For anyone more interested in how this is done: http://www.itatennis.com/Assets/12-13+DI+Rankings+Manual.pdf

Most of this is spot on, although I'd disagree about when it's easiest to move up. The coaches don't move teams around that much, the reason for movement in the first month is that the preseason rankings are essentially the same as last year's end of year rankings, so some movement is natural as it becomes obvious which teams have improved or gotten worse. The biggest moving week is always the week that it switches from human polls to computer rankings. For example, Wake jumped from 31 to 22 that week despite not even playing a match.

The reason it's harder to make big moves later in the season is that the rankings take into account more data so one win counts a lot less than it did earlier. I would expect to see the Deacons at No. 19 or No. 20 when the new rankings come out (they won't release them until next week, after the NCAA selections).

The tennis rankings are odd when you compare them to other sports. In practical terms, basically who you beat matters much more than any losses that you have, especially if they are losses to top 75 teams. UCLA passed Virginia for #1 this week, despite the fact that UCLA has one loss and Virginia is undefeated, and both have played very difficult schedules - UCLA had just a little bit better wins in the eyes of the computers. That's not a move that you would really ever see happen in the rankings for other sports where #1 usually stays #1 until they lose.

Elite 8 of NCAAs would be unseen territory

If we can beat Duke and play with UVA, we could make a Final Four run given the right bracket

Jarmere Jenkins is a monster. I saw his brother Jermaine (Clemson) play quite a bit growing up. Insane the talent UVA has on this team.
Yep, kid is crazy. I played doubles in a couple national tournaments with him back in the day, with him always playing up an age group. Looked back and only one I saw was us losing in the semis of a national open back when I was 12. Damn, that was a long time ago.

Wake draws Northwestern in the first round of the NCAA tourney.

Would likely face #3 Georgia in the round of 32.

Don't know too much about the Northwestern guys except that they had a lot of close matches against teams similar in rank to us.

UGA has a strong team this year but definitely not unbeatable. Not as top heavy as past years but definitely deep. Would love for the guys to get a chance at this match.

Seems like we were seeded as the equivalent of an 8 seed, which seems harsh to me, but whatever. Just gotta take care of business against Northwestern a week from Friday.

Back