• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Michelle Wie wins the Women's US Open

TheReff

Rod Griffin
Reaction score
At 24 she is turning into a great golfer and now the door could open to many more majors since she has gotten the first one, just like Phil. The public loves her and she can now both hit the golf ball & putt the golf ball.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/11120633/michelle-wie-wins-first-career-major-us-women-open

PINEHURST, N.C. -- The road Michelle Wie took to a U.S. Women's Open title was unlike any other, and suddenly insignificant. Whether this was a long time coming was the least of her cares.

The biggest star in women's golf had her name on the biggest trophy.

She never looked happier.

"Oh my God, I can't even think straight," Wie said Sunday after a two-shot victory over Stacy Lewis to claim her first major.

Facing a 25-foot birdie putt on 17 that was fast and dangerous, Wie pumped her fist when it fell, then pounded her fist twice to celebrate the moment.

"That kind of emotion, that kind of pressure ... I'll think of that putt as one of the best putts I've ever hit in my life," she said.

A par on the 18th gave her an even-par 70 to beat Lewis, the No. 1 player in women's golf who made Wie earn it. Lewis made eight birdies -- the most in a final round by a male or female in the U.S. Open -- and closed with a 66.

Lewis was on the range preparing for a playoff when her caddie told her Wie made birdie on the 17th. Moments later, Lewis was on the 18th green to hug Wie. Like most players, she was perplexed why Wie would spend so much time trying to compete against the men when she still didn't have an LPGA Tour card.

They are friends now and practice frequently. Lewis said she wasn't the least bit surprised that Wie delivered such a clutch moment.

"I think that scene on 18, being on network TV, as many people as we had around there at Pinehurst No. 2 and Michelle Wie winning the golf tournament, I don't think you can script it any better," Lewis said. "I think it's great for the game of golf. I think it's even better for women's golf. I'm so happy for Michelle Wie. I mean, this has been such a long time coming for her."

Wie had chance to win this title when she was a 15-year-old amateur at Cherry Hills, and a 16-year-old pro at Newport. The last time she was in this area, she opened with an 82 at Pine Needles in 2007 and walked off the course the next day because of injuries.

She has been one of the biggest stars in women's golf since she was 13 and played in the final group of a major. Her popularity soared along with criticism when she competed against the men on the PGA Tour while still in high school and talked about wanting to play in the Masters.

That seems like a lifetime ago.

The 6-foot Wie is all grown up. She is a Stanford graduate, popular among pros of both genders, and now a major champion.

"I can't believe this is happening," Wie said.

No one gives a shit about girls golf on a day where our countries national soccer team played.

Ten years ago, there was so much hype around 14 year olds Michelle Wie and Freddy Adu. Both looked poised to take over their respective sports and both stumbled. It's good see Wie fulfill her promise. Wasn't it bid/Boogity/Rico who had that irrational Wie hate on the old boards?

After her teenage deal, I think she made a smart move do four years at Stanford, cut her schedule, and live life a bit before going full-time tour pro. She clearly enjoys golf a lot more now and has played to her potential. She'll win a bunch in the next ten years, and that is a good thing for golf.

Ten years ago, there was so much hype around 14 year olds Michelle Wie and Freddy Adu. Both looked poised to take over their respective sports and both stumbled. It's good see Wie fulfill her promise. Wasn't it bid/Boogity/Rico who had that irrational Wie hate on the old boards?

Was that when the term Wie-tards was coined?

I remember that, think it was after the 2007 Sony. Pretty much everyone was in agreement that the exemptions were ridiculous and she had no business being in PGA Tour tournaments as a sideshow, but then there was the "she'll never win a tournament" and "she's a hack with no talent who hasn't done anything" crowd, mixed with some really creepy misogynist stuff. Good times. Nice to see her go from meltdown to Major winner, definitely earned that win. Total of 4 players across the two US Opens finished under par, despite almost no criticism of the course being unfair and the natural areas offering much less challenge than thick rough would have.

I remember that, think it was after the 2007 Sony. Pretty much everyone was in agreement that the exemptions were ridiculous and she had no business being in PGA Tour tournaments as a sideshow, but then there was the "she'll never win a tournament" and "she's a hack with no talent who hasn't done anything" crowd, mixed with some really creepy misogynist stuff. Good times. Nice to see her go from meltdown to Major winner, definitely earned that win. Total of 4 players across the two US Opens finished under par, despite almost no criticism of the course being unfair and the natural areas offering much less challenge than thick rough would have.

Definitely nice to see her fulfill some golf promise after all these years. Especially after coming on the scene so young and being pushed so hard by the Dad especially. She always had a gorgeous swing, it was just a matter of getting the putting stroke down and becoming patient with playing the course when things went wrong. Sunday she proved that after the double on 16 as to come back with a strong birdie on 17 was strong. Even the double bogey putt on 16 was strong after what had just happened.

That birdie on 17 was epic.

Not being talked about much, but Stacy Lewis set a record for birdies in a single US Open round (men or women) yesterday with 8.

That birdie on 17 was epic.

Not being talked about much, but Stacy Lewis set a record for birdies in a single US Open round (men or women) yesterday with 8.

That was huge, if she hadn't made that birdie on 17, I think she bogies 18 and there would've been a playoff. Really glad she won, I think she's a nice person, that just got way overhyped way too soon and I think a lot of it wasn't her doing. The thing is, because she's been in the public so long it's easy to look at yesterday as a " it's about time win," but she's only 24 and she could rattle off a bunch of majors before she's done. There really isn't a dominant female golfer at the moment and it's there for the taking for her I think.

Her putting style as crazy as it looks and as hard as it might prove on her back over time makes sense. By bending over almost parallel to the ground she can make a stroke that has little to no arc, so the putter can stay square for the whole stroke.

Her putting style as crazy as it looks and as hard as it might prove on her back over time makes sense. By bending over almost parallel to the ground she can make a stroke that has little to no arc, so the putter can stay square for the whole stroke.

JackNicklaus.jpg

Jack didn't set up square to the ball though, he set up open and really pushed the putter through the ball with his right hand. Jack's stroke was also more wristy than the typical stroke today that takes the wrists out and uses the should turn. I'm not sure if I had to have someone putt for my life it wouldn't still be Nicklaus though.

Also how about Streelman making 7 straight birdies to win the Travelers? 10 consecutive one-putts to end his round. Nuts.

Imagine if Tiger had done that...

Also how about Streelman making 7 straight birdies to win the Travelers? 10 consecutive one-putts to end his round. Nuts.

Imagine if Tiger had done that...

It was silly. Best close to a non-major I can ever recall. He was hilariously dialed in.

Nice video drinking from the trophy and twerking on the wall.

Last edited:
Back