• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Migaine Headache Management

When I was a teenager, I suffered from migraine headaches. The treatment was medication and some of the other things mentioned in the previous posts. When I was 35, I had debilitating headaches, probably migraine, associated with an undiagnosed illness of some sort. On the recommendation of Vietnamese woman I knew, I received acupuncture treatments from a Chinese doctor in DC. The headaches went away almost immediately (after two sessions), and I haven't experienced any migraines in the 25 years since then. I still get regular headaches from time to time but none like then. This is just a long way of saying consider seeing an acupuncturist.

Excedrin and a coke if I catch it early. Sumatriptan, or fioricet and phenergan if I don't. My mom swears by oxygen treatments.

Mine are largely hormonal and I didn't have one from the time I was pregnant with E until I go pregnant with S. Best 2 years ever, but now they are back.

Migraines for me usually feel/look like someone's lighting off fireworks in my face while a rat gnaws my brain during the worst hangover ever.

The past decade or so I've started getting warning signs of impending migraines, which has been extremely useful for preloading ibuprofen and making arrangements for cave-dwelling. I'll start to get tunnel-vision and/or a small slowly expanding blind spot. It usually means I've got about 20-30 minutes before I'm a vegetable.

Yep get the same thing. Got them a lot when I was a teen (probably one every two months or so) but haven't had one (thank god) since sophomore year of college.

Lots of folks take anti-epilepsy drugs to keep migraines away. I used to and they sort of worked. Not a magic pill by any stretch.

Barometric pressure and intense change(sleep, food, stress, caffeine) were my triggers.

Then, I started biking. A lot. And eating like a sensible adult. As in no junk food. Very little caffeine. I lost a lot of weight. No more migraines.

Lots of folks take anti-epilepsy drugs to keep migraines away. I used to and they sort of worked. Not a magic pill by any stretch.

Barometric pressure and intense change(sleep, food, stress, caffeine) were my triggers.

Then, I started biking. A lot. And eating like a sensible adult. As in no junk food. Very little caffeine. I lost a lot of weight. No more migraines.

The irony here is the Fiorcet I was first given was a giant caffeine pill. They are triggers yet in some cases help offset the pain.

It's more likely that withdrawal from the caffeine is the trigger, rather than its direct effects, hence its use in treatment.

Gotta love the fact that someone who works for a health insurance company thought people with migraines were just faking it.

so if you feel one coming on when your at work, do you try to stay and deal with it, or do you pretty much just have to bail on the day?

i've never had one, hope i never get one - i don't know what i'd do if i did.

so if you feel one coming on when your at work, do you try to stay and deal with it, or do you pretty much just have to bail on the day?

I have left for them. I'm thankful tbat I get aura which gives me about a 30 minute warning.

I had one years ago and had left work. On my way home I was so sick that I pulled over and threw up on the side of the road with people watching.

Years earlier I had let one get really bad. I drove home and honestly should not have. A neighbor became concerned with my driving and said I looked like a drunk driver with the way I was driving in the neighborhood. Problem was i kept blacking out and driving. Lesson learned so I now leave at first sign.

Knock on wood, I've gotten really good at tracking my triggers and preventing them.

I need to bail. Once it was too late to get home so i laid under my desk ala George. Not one of my finest hours.

On a positive note, after 6 days of recurrent, mind blowing headaches, I seem to have moved on from this wave. So thats good news.

Thanks to all for the IMs and advice.

I have left for them. I'm thankful tbat I get aura which gives me about a 30 minute warning.

I had one years ago and had left work. On my way home I was so sick that I pulled over and threw up on the side of the road with people watching.

Years earlier I had let one get really bad. I drove home and honestly should not have. A neighbor became concerned with my driving and said I looked like a drunk driver with the way I was driving in the neighborhood. Problem was i kept blacking out and driving. Lesson learned so I now leave at first sign.

Knock on wood, I've gotten really good at tracking my triggers and preventing them.

I know this feeling. Never again.

Used to get them all the time. Would take some ice packs, ibuprofen, and go to sleep. That would help a little but it would never go away. Only time it would go away was after I threw up. Immediately after I puked, I was fine.

For me, sleeping through a headache can be the worst. I continue to feel the agonizing pain waking me up throughout the night but am too groggy to get up and do anything about it, so it just becomes prolonged.

Back