• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Misdirection vs. Option - There is a difference

WFU1990

Reaction score
The best Grobe era offenses have been, in my opinion, misdirection running attacks. Our offense right now seems to be more of an option. Instead of trying to use the misdirection schemes to create a running attack, we seem to be using the option just to set up the pass. Problem is, Tanner isn't an option QB. Please, please, please get back to misdirection and cut blocking. I am afraid that this offense is 20% predicated on Tanner running right now, which means we are going to get smoked in my opinion. He is not a running back!

You think we're running the option? That's something new to me. I haven't seen it before.

I can't really remember us running the option at any point before under Grobe. Very strange he would decide to go to this so late in the game

This is a very poorly designed offense for our personnel.

I think it is strange as well; and why we are doing it with Tanner is baffling.

interesting note, wikipedia the option and Wake forest is prominently involved as innovators.

I think someone meant to post that we killed it

We are making the option look like something that no one in their right mind would want to run.

Seriously, how can you install a new offense with a Sr. QB who specializes in pocket passing and a SR. WR who is one of the best in the conference, if not the nation? Makes no sense whatsoever. Now to change the offense for next year with QBs who ran the option in HS, well that makes a bit more sense. Making the change this year, I cannot understand.

They panicked about finishing last year so poorly. Could've changed coordinators, but no, let's try and have coaches coach something they haven't coached in their entire tenure at Wake

This is a very poorly designed offense for our personnel.

This. And that's what's so confusing. Grobe has - whether you like his scheme or not - historically tailored the scheme to the personnel during his time here. We aren't doing that now.

And I'll add - I like the scheme we are running this year. But it absolutely does not fit our personnel, and worse, Lobo's execution of it has been awful. We are spreading out in the gun in situations where we should be running power out of the pistol, and we are going pistol in situations where we should be spreading it out.

I wouldn't even mind going to 50 passes a game. That gives Atleast a dying chance as compared to what we saw Friday

I wouldn't even mind going to 50 passes a game. That gives Atleast a dying chance as compared to what we saw Friday

If we three 50 times a game our defense would probably get shredded for about 200 yards on the ground you idiot.

This thread title is nonsensical. There's also a difference between night and day.

See Bill Yeoman and Emory Bellard. Then check out Tubby Raymond's Delaware Winged-T.

Last edited:
Having grown up in Oklahoma watching the wishbone, I can honestly say that was the worst "option" offense I have ever seen. Spacing was horrible. I can tell you that when I was playing pee wee flag football in Tulsa, OK, we ran a better option read offense than that. I'm a bit biased since I was Steve Davis (read: Tanner Price), but I learned in third grade, never pitch when you are wrapped up and don't pitch when your running back is 18 inches behind you.

I refuse to watch another Wake game as long as they run that shit. I will wait until the inevitable mid-season offense switch which we have seen at least once I think twice in the last several years (making Spring practice totally fucking moot).

I don't usually get some frustrated with Wake football, but we have talent on the field, it seems to me, just not on the sideline right now at least on the offensive side.

The happiest Deacon in the world on Friday night was probably Bzd.

If we three 50 times a game our defense would probably get shredded for about 200 yards on the ground you idiot.

That's what happened anyway with the offense Friday. If that's the point you're trying to make

incompetence is incompetence no matter what name you slap on it.

Well said and Lobo has been incompetent with every scheme he has tried! Hard to believe with the QB and receivers he has he puts this shit on the field. If we are going to do what Grobe said, "keep running it until we get it right" then you have seen all the wins you are going to see this year. Because with this OL and QB we will never get it right

Back