• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mistrial in Baltimore

Freddie Gray is the guy who should have been in jail...and he would still be alive. The guy was 25 years old and had already been arrested more than 20 times. Another solid citizen who became a victim of the U.S. Police State.

What I don't understand is how the hell they can get anyone to serve as a policeman in these urban areas. They have to deal with worthless POS like Freddie Gray every day and the people they are trying to protect don't even appreciate them. The police should just pull out of the cities and let the damned gangs patrol the streets for a couple of months. See if that would change any attitudes.

Better yet, they should get all these weeping young liberals on this board to leave their computers and lap of luxury where they live now and man the police force in a city like Baltimore for a month or so....and then see what they post on these boards after that experience.

We will see if they can convict anyone, sure but that's not what you said earlier - you said "It isn't an overcharge; the case should never have been brought at all." If the case shouldn't have been brought at all sounds like it should have been a quick acquittal for the jury or a directed verdict by the judge. Neither of those happened.

You place way too much importance on the absence of an acquittal. I think charging this guy with a crime was absurd based on what I know about the case. You know damn well there isn't going to be a directed verdict, and I suspect you will always get some jurors to vote to convict in a case like this from a Baltimore jury pool. I think a prosecutor ought to weigh whether a crime was committed, not whether he/she can get a conviction. They are not always one and the same. I seriously doubt this case would have gone to a grand jury absent the politics involved.

Freddie Gray is the guy who should have been in jail...and he would still be alive. The guy was 25 years old and had already been arrested more than 20 times. Another solid citizen who became a victim of the U.S. Police State.

What I don't understand is how the hell they can get anyone to serve as a policeman in these urban areas. They have to deal with worthless POS like Freddie Gray every day and the people they are trying to protect don't even appreciate them. The police should just pull out of the cities and let the damned gangs patrol the streets for a couple of months. See if that would change any attitudes.

Better yet, they should get all these weeping young liberals on this board to leave their computers and lap of luxury where they live now and man the police force in a city like Baltimore for a month or so....and then see what they post on these boards after that experience.

I'm sure that you'd last a while on the streets of Baltimore since you've spent decades hardening yourself on the rough and tumble streets of Randleman, NC - the bustling nexus of city-living in North Carolina that it is.

You place way too much importance on the absence of an acquittal. I think charging this guy with a crime was absurd based on what I know about the case. You know damn well there isn't going to be a directed verdict, and I suspect you will always get some jurors to vote to convict in a case like this from a Baltimore jury pool. I think a prosecutor ought to weigh whether a crime was committed, not whether he/she can get a conviction. They are not always one and the same. I seriously doubt this case would have gone to a grand jury absent the politics involved.

Well theoretically "whether he/she can get a conviction" is the proxy for "whether a crime was committed." You don't think that someone dying in the back of a police van after requesting medical attention and not being strapped in deserves scrutiny from prosecutors as to whether the police in control contributed to that death?

So the cases shouldn't have gone to trial because you think that charging this guy with a crime was absurd yet the people who saw all the documents and have the evidence before them chose to do so. Okay that's solid.

And maybe I am placing too much importance on the absence of an acquittal, but it doesn't change the fact that jurors believed the cop was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt and reflects that the case could have been brought. If it had gone in front of a grand jury I bet there would have been indictments as well if the prosecutor did their job. It's so easy to get an indictment. The number of motions to dismiss criminal indictment motions I see and review on a daily basis where the PC burden is met despite there barely being enough/much evidence is wild.

What's your insinuation re: a Baltimore jury pool? That any cop who makes it it to trial as a defendant will have people that will vote to convict no matter what? If that's the case then your issue seems to be with the jury system at large. ETA: And I bet it also cuts the other way across the country where people are more likely to convict someone who has a criminal track record and is of a different color once they make it to trial - even if the case really shouldn't have been brought anyway.

Last edited:

You have no fucking clue what you're talking about. When was the last time you spent any time in a city?

Hey guys, did you know it's totally cool for a cop to kill you if you've been arrested a bunch of times?

Yep, pulled up some textual support for BKF too:

"[N]or shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law, unless you've already been arrested more than 20 times and are a worthless POS in the eyes of a 65 year old from Randleman, in which case you should just be in jail and therefore may ignore the aforementioned provisions herein."

I'm sure that you'd last a while on the streets of Baltimore since you've spent decades hardening yourself on the rough and tumble streets of Randleman, NC - the bustling nexus of city-living in North Carolina that it is.

Non Sequitur. The point is that I appreciate the thankless job that the police are trying to do every day...at great cost to the public....in dealing with scum like Freddie Gray....while people like you and others on this board are busy defending these habitual lifetime criminals and demonizing the police.

I'm sympathetic to the difficult task but also believe if cops commit crimes they should be prosecuted.

Basically bkf believes there are tiers to treatment of criminals. What those tier levels are is unknown but at a certain one all bets are off and that person is no longer considered human and instead like an animal. The rules for engagement with these "people" is complete different including the ability to act as judge, jury and executioner.

I will say I don't think the track record of an individual matters to how cops act. If you want to argue we need stricter incarceration lass then go for it but I think you're hard pressed to argue Freddie's criminal record has anything to do with whether or not the cops are guilty of the charged crimes.

Back