• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Modem/router buying advice

ChicdeaC

Reaction score
So we recently decided to switch from time Warner cable internet to AT&T dsl and our old router/modem that we had in stl isn't working. We mostly stream some shows with the roku and generally use for general surfing so we don't need anything too powerful. There are a ton of options out there, any suggestions?

Is TWC providing a modem or are you on the hook for both?

The reason I ask is that I bought a pretty nice router not long ago and we ended up not needing it cause our unit from AT&T is a combo. I'm sure it's sitting around here somewhere if you want it.

The reason I ask is that I bought a pretty nice router not long ago and we ended up not needing it cause our unit from AT&T is a combo. I'm sure it's sitting around here somewhere if you want it.

:sick: the units from the companies (especially the combo ones) are usually pretty crappy, more power to you if it's working out though.

Are you switching to old-school DSL, or U-Verse?

3785259523.png

Seems to work fine for me. Netflix and internets go pretty fast, I think.

3785259523.png

Seems to work fine for me. Netflix and internets go pretty fast, I think.

I mean as far as consistency and coverage go. When my fam was on the provided U-Verse combination modem/router that thing was terrrrible. Dropped out all the time, didn't reach half the house, etc.

You're really better off in the long run having a modem and router separate from one another so you don't have a single point of failure, though I will admit I'm not sure what AT&T's stance on having your own modem is (I think they're probably still strongly against it, at least with U-Verse).

So we recently decided to switch from time Warner cable internet to AT&T dsl and our old router/modem that we had in stl isn't working. We mostly stream some shows with the roku and generally use for general surfing so we don't need anything too powerful. There are a ton of options out there, any suggestions?

Where are you? We're moving from Greensboro to Salisbury and changing from ATT Uverse to Fibrant, so I have an ATT router/modem if you want it.

Where are you? We're moving from Greensboro to Salisbury and changing from ATT Uverse to Fibrant, so I have an ATT router/modem if you want it.

I think we are doing old school dsl so I don't think a uverse modem will work but thanks for the offer

B$, we have a cable modem but need the dsl modem/router. We are switching away from twc

I think we are doing old school dsl so I don't think a uverse modem will work but thanks for the offer

Sure thing- I think it would work (phone jack sized plug in, ethernet or wifi out). If you find out that it would work, happy to put it to good use instead of packing it and then throwing it away eventually.

Any reason you're going DSL over the U-Verse? The quality of DSL can vary tremendously depending on where you are on their grid.

We can't get uverse in our area apparently

Rev, we could certainly give it a try. We are in GSO.

wtf you live like a mile from us. you can't get uverse?

We tried, apparently we are not fancy like the moneys.

Any thoughts on why our TWC cable modem drops coverage 4 to 5 times days? We just reboot it and it works but a its a massive PITA. Router is new so thinking it has to be the cable modem itself.

Any thoughts on why our TWC cable modem drops coverage 4 to 5 times days? We just reboot it and it works but a its a massive PITA. Router is new so thinking it has to be the cable modem itself.

Because TWC.

Back