• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Most Expensive College Football Coaches Per Win

Kind of dumb to just look at one season and extrapolate from there.

Kind of dumb to just look at one season and extrapolate from there.

yeah, i think there is a better way of looking at this for sure.

a lot of those coaches just took over crap programs. others have had a great deal of success in previous years and may have been rebuilding.

you'd think with the amount of money college coaches get paid, someone would have developed a success modeling algorithm which could be used to calculate how a coach has done on a relative basis.

a lot of those coaches just took over crap programs. others have had a great deal of success in previous years and may have been rebuilding.

Then you have Saban who is highly paid and highly successful and doesn't fall into either category. The list really doesn't tell you much of anything other than "here's a guy who's paid a lot and here's what each win cost." And that's all it seems to want to say but what the hell good is that given the era of incentive-loaded contracts which can extend 5,6,7 years or more?

I don't get why Muschamp is paid $3.2mm. Ferentz is also pretty expensive, but nothing else really stands out.

It's completely stupid. How much money did Saban make for Bama? That's the value of his salary.

It's completely stupid. How much money did Saban make for Bama? That's the value of his salary.

If the methodology here isn't meaningful for Saban then it isn't meaningful for any of the coaches. I believe that to be the case.

The numbers, however, are correct.

How is Mack Brown never on the hot seat? I swear if I were a Texas fan I would boycott the games till they got rid of that underachieving old timer.

How is Mack Brown never on the hot seat? I swear if I were a Texas fan I would boycott the games till they got rid of that underachieving old timer.

Two conference titles and a BCS championship. Hard to call that underachieving. I'm not any sort of Mack Brown fan but if a Wake coach won a national title, we'd all faint into comas and then create an image of his face into the North Carolina landscape similar to the Nazca lines in Peru.

That is Apples to Oranges 94, you can't compare a coach at Wake to a coach at Texas, and honestly I wouldn't trade him for Grobe. Oklahoma has owned that conference since Mack Brown has been there and Vince Young won him that national championship. Without Vince they have another 7 win season. Would you give Gene Chizik 5.3 million per year and an extension through 2020? Cause they are basically clones of each other.

I'm comparing a BCS team to another BCS team. And I'm making the point that two conference titles and a BCS title isn't underachieving. Not talking about trading anyone for anyone else or whether a single player on NCAA football team, with 85 scholarship players, can solely be the source of a title. Just that a BCS title is not underachieving. And I can only speak to that as a Wake fan. And whether the coach is Mack Brown or Gene Chizik, if he brought a national title here, the idea of him being on a hot-seat is a stretch.

I don't get why Muschamp is paid $3.2mm. Ferentz is also pretty expensive, but nothing else really stands out.

Because that was his market value when they signed him. The guy could have picked just about any open coaching job in America.

I agree with the first part, I just do not get how a guy that hasn't proven anything as a head coach was given that kind of contract. I disagree about Ferentz. IMHO, he is one of the best coaches in the nation. What he is able to do at Iowa always amazes me.

I agree with the first part, I just do not get how a guy that hasn't proven anything as a head coach was given that kind of contract. I disagree about Ferentz. IMHO, he is one of the best coaches in the nation. What he is able to do at Iowa always amazes me.

That wasn't really a judgement, just a note.

It's kinda of like Grobe making $2.5mm+ at Wake. At many schools it would be too much money for the results, but neither Iowa nor Wake are many schools (especially Wake).

Back