• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mt. Rushmore of Authors

Trying to compare authors to past Presidents, and especially 4 specific Presidents, is a fool hardy task.
It takes a special kind of asshole to think they can accomplish such a task in any sort of approveable way.

Trying to compare authors to past Presidents, and especially 4 specific Presidents, is a fool hardy task.
It takes a special kind of asshole to think they can accomplish such a task in any sort of approveable way.

Approvable.

Fuck yeah. Just got back from watching the fight. Don't know what to do with myself yet after sports shut down at 10 p.m. out here.

When u were on the east coast you watched sports after 10-11?

That's a dedicated...wait for it...face painter...

Hemingway, Twain, McCarthy, O'Brien

Conana O'Brien isn't that great a writer...and are you supporting Jennie, Joe or Charlie McCarthy?

Cormac, and how dare you talk down about the Simpsons!

Grisham, Crichton, Koontz, and the chick who writes all those "X is for X-Rayed Corpes" books.

3.5 years ago:

Correct answer:

Chaucer, Shakespeare, Milton, Spencer

My answer:

Chaucer, Shakespeare, Marlowe, Joyce

I stand by these, I think.

I listened to a History of the English Language course on CD a few years ago. It talked about how modern English really came out of Shakespeare, and everything before him is basically unrecognizable to a modern reader.

What most people don't realize is that Shakeseare's language, in the modern edition, is heavily adapted and his spelling standardized. If you have a look at a First Folio or something, the language and bookhands don't look a whole lot different than would a manuscript Chaucer.

Hard to argue much with the "correct" list, except Spencer. My personal Rushmore would be: Shakespeare, Faulkner, Dickens, Nabokov. Boom. Didn't see him coming.

Good list. Also, from OGB:

[Fixed by OGB] My answer:

Conrad, Dan Brown, Wharton, E. Bronte

OGB, LOL at me ever saying anything nice about Emily Bronte, except for that she is related to her boss-ass sister, Charlotte. Dan Brown? Clown joke. Edith Wharton, lol again.

Back