• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Napa or Sonoma?

SkyDivingDeacon

Reaction score
Heading out to CA with a few friends and we're trying to book a house in either Napa or Sonoma. Both are obviously close enough to visit but if you had to stay in one area over the other which would you choose?

I feel like there is a thread on this, but it depends what you like, and also your price range.

After living in the Bay for the past 12 years, I am completely baffled why anyone goes to Napa.

Sonoma's much more casual and laid back. Napa's more of a "scene". There are definitely great wineries in both valleys, but it's a lot more hassle in Napa: way more reservation only tastings, more expensive, etc...Seems like people from outside the region want to go to Napa to tell their friends they've been wine tasting in Napa, while locals head to Sonoma because they prefer the hassle free atmosphere. Personally I prefer Anderson Valley (Mendocino County) to both, but that's a major hoof from SF and not very time efficient for people with limited time.

There are at least two recent threads (both about visiting SF/wine tasting) that cover the differences between the two somewhere around here...

Sonoma's much more casual and laid back. Napa's more of a "scene". There are definitely great wineries in both valleys, but it's a lot more hassle in Napa: way more reservation only tastings, more expensive, etc...Seems like people from outside the region want to go to Napa to tell their friends they've been wine tasting in Napa, while locals head to Sonoma because they prefer the hassle free atmosphere.

Pretty much this. In general if I am going to CA from out of state there are some fantastic places to go other than Napa -- Tahoe, Mt. Lassen, Yosemite, Sequoia, Monterey, Santa Cruz (one of my favs), Redwoods, Big Sur to name a few. Napa is one of the least scenic tourist traps in the state.

Back