• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NBA offseason thread

From a game-watching perspective, Asik's defense is overrated. He never really impressed me. Decent positioning and fairly clever, but just not athletic enough or strong enough to be considered a great defender.

Also, without having looked into it, I don't think he's a legit 7-footer.

It wasn't a mystery that Robinson was going to be a star. He was picked 1st Team All B12.

Yeah, because he was great in limited minutes and people extracted that out to figure he would be great as a starter.

You know who I like from watching the games? That huge fuckeri Minnesota. Eastern european dude. Looks like the big pole in Phoenix but with a proportionally ginormous head

Can you name the 7 teams in the NBA that have never paid the luxury tax?

Charlotte, Chicago, Golden State, LA Clippers, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, and Washington.

2d0nk1i.jpg

Also, New York's ludicrous $195,000,000 million tax bill over the last decade makes it even more laughable they would balk at Lin because of money.

Last edited:
Is it just me or is Chicago's management not very sharp for not being willing to pay luxury tax?

Can you name the 7 teams in the NBA that have never paid the luxury tax?

Charlotte, Chicago, Golden State, LA Clippers, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, and Washington.

2d0nk1i.jpg

Also, New York's ludicrous $195,000,000 million tax bill over the last decade makes it even more laughable they would balk at Line because of money.

Unfortuntely the answer came up as I hit reply. I eas going to get two if them right. Hint who are te cheapest owners?

magic hire vaughn as coach

From Hoopsworld's Steve Kyler:

On The Jacque hire... he is a smart guy thats been part of some impressive situations. He was coached as a player by Jerry Sloan, Doc Rivers and Gregg Popovich. He's been an assistant coach with the Spurs for the last two years. So he has the credentials and resume of a good young coach. He's not that far removed from playing and he had a decent 12 year career in the NBA - who fills out his staff will go a long way towards establishing how good this will be in Year 1.

The biggest thing to understand is that Orlando is no longer doing things in a singular way - this is about building our a system and culture. That starts with Hennigan and his staff and continues in Jacque and his staff, which will continue into how the locker room is run and the players that are brought in.

Culture change! (Seems similar to our culture change as long as Ty...I mean, Dwight, is allowed to stick around.)

ETA: That being said, I'm somewhat sold on this hire. Pop and Sloan disciples have been solid to mediocre coaches, so we'll just have to see.

Do you understand the word "growing"?

You also forgot Avery Johnson.

Do you understand the word "growing"?

You also forgot Avery Johnson.

I don't think Avery ever coached with Pop. Neither did VDN, whose name I've seen floated around.

Their front office tree, on the other hand, is a tree of life.

Being coached by someine is considered part of the tree in your list. Billy C never coached with Deano.

Being coached by someine is considered part of the tree in your list. Billy C never coached with Deano.

Eh... I don't know if you can make that leap (and, if you'll notice, I didn't make that leap in my Pop list), especially if their tree is already less than impressive. Otherwise, lots of coaching trees look pretty impressive.

Then why did you put forth a link which used a significant number of players who never coached with the coaches on the list?

"Mike Woodson - Bob Knight, Larry Brown. Woodson played for Knight at Indiana, and the two have remained close"

"Doc Rivers - Mike Fratello. Rivers was drafted by the Hawks just as Fratello was stepping in as head coach, and they stayed together for a remarkably long time for player and coach--seven full seasons. Later in his career, Rivers would go on to play under both Larry Brown and Pat Riley. Rivers is unusual to the extent that his playing career is about the sum total of his influences, as he was hired by Orlando with no coaching experience."

Larry Brown - Dean Smith, Alex Hannum. As noted above, Brown technically belongs to the Smith tree but has somehow managed to create a style entirely his own during his peripatetic coaching career. While a player in the ABA, Brown was as much a nomad as he has been as a coach, playing for five teams in as many seasons. He finished his career under Hall of Famer Hannum, then joined Hannum as an assistant before ultimately replacing him." - Never coached under Deano but is listed on you key list a part of his tree.

You can't use that list and not include players.

Then why did you put forth a link which used a significant number of players who never coached with the coaches on the list?

"Mike Woodson - Bob Knight, Larry Brown. Woodson played for Knight at Indiana, and the two have remained close"

"Doc Rivers - Mike Fratello. Rivers was drafted by the Hawks just as Fratello was stepping in as head coach, and they stayed together for a remarkably long time for player and coach--seven full seasons. Later in his career, Rivers would go on to play under both Larry Brown and Pat Riley. Rivers is unusual to the extent that his playing career is about the sum total of his influences, as he was hired by Orlando with no coaching experience."

Larry Brown - Dean Smith, Alex Hannum. As noted above, Brown technically belongs to the Smith tree but has somehow managed to create a style entirely his own during his peripatetic coaching career. While a player in the ABA, Brown was as much a nomad as he has been as a coach, playing for five teams in as many seasons. He finished his career under Hall of Famer Hannum, then joined Hannum as an assistant before ultimately replacing him." - Never coached under Deano but is listed on you key list a part of his tree.

You can't use that list and not include players.

I can use that list as a reference point, RJ. I can see who is associated to what coach, Wikipedia their record as an assistant coach (throw their name out if they didn't, in fact, coach in an assistant or associate capacity), and then draw conclusions based on what I find out.

Even as someone who considers themselves to be obsessed with basketball, I still don't know every assistant coach who has coached over the last 20 years.

Back