• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC State Game Time - Noon ESPN

Well, it appears that a heart attack his eliminated Richt (who I liked -- I am likely the only one) from the ACC Network's football coverage.

Richt has deep ties to ACC schools. He was a QB for Miami. He was the QB Coach/OC at FSU for 10 years, and obviously, he was the HC at Miami for the last 3 years.

State's injury situation is much worse than ours. No excuses.

That is par for the course. Packer spends 15 minutes repeating the same nothing over and over and usually ends it with - 'we will see, that is why they play the games'. How can you be a sports talk show host, when your go to move is - i have no idea, let's just see what happens. Crazy.

And on a related note - who the hell picked the talent for the ACC network? Mark Richt, EJ Manuel, the former lineman from Clemson (?) and the Chris Collinsworth's kid are so freaking boring. That show is like watching paint dry. I don't want the finebaum nuthouse, but at least get someone who is entertaining / the obligatory hot chic.

I honestly don't understand how anyone listens to sports radio

WF is now #1 in the country in "pace" (offensive plays per game) averaging 84.3 plays per game.

NC State is #12 at 76.1. Lots of plays typically means lots of scoring.

As you would expect, Clawson is in front of a trend that lots of ACC teams follow:

National rank:

1. WF
7. Pitt
10. Cuse
12 State
15. UNC
15. BC
19. Duke

Half of the conference is in the top 19. The only ACC team in the bottom 20 is GT at #123 with 63 plays per game.

Pretty simple logic, if your offense is better than the other team's offense, the more plays means more opportunities for the offensive superiority to bear itself out.

Totally unexpected aside, Oklahoma (#126) is in the bottom 5 in the country in pace, along with GA Southern, Wyoming, UTEP and Rutgers.

Well, it appears that a heart attack his eliminated Richt (who I liked -- I am likely the only one) from the ACC Network's football coverage.

Richt has deep ties to ACC schools. He was a QB for Miami. He was the QB Coach/OC at FSU for 10 years, and obviously, he was the HC at Miami for the last 3 years.

Didn't think about his time at FSU. Good call. Could care less about him QBing at Miami before they entered the ACC.

Offensive plays per game doesn't seem like a sufficient measure of pace. Time of possession/# of offensive plays makes more sense. The only 5 teams under 22 sec per play are USU, UCF, BC, FSU, and WFU, so we've played 3 of the 4 fastest teams in college football. Nine teams are over 30 sec per play. Wisconsin is the slowest team at 32 sec per play.

Last edited:

Yeah, but Miami wasn't in the ACC in 1982 and FSU wan't in the ACC during his first stint there in the 80s. Once FSU joined the ACC in 1990,he spent as much time in the ACC as he did at Georgia.

is the QB thing a subversion thing or is Newman's injury still needing to be felt out?

Walker unleashed!

Just for clarity, Clawson has declared on numerous occasions this year that he will take advantage of this year's ACC requirements and NOT providing updates about certain position battles or injury updates. Since he feels it is advantageous to force NC State to prepare to play both Newman and Hartman, he is simply not giving any updates to Newman's health. It is worth noting that he did the same thing vs. Florida State and Newman did not even dress (technically, he WAS wearing clothes on the sidelines and even his own jersey, but was not in shoulder pads or had a helmet).

I suppose in the case of Christian Beal-Smith, he did not see any advantage is releasing that information. He has previously been coy about Carney's status for games while on the other-hand, forthcoming about Hinton being out for those games that he missed. It is possible that one of the games Hinton missed he WAS coy about it, cannot remember.

I think the pattern is that with Hinton out, in theory you'd need to prepare the same way for Jacquiri Robinson so no advantage to releasing that. Likewise, since there is a big difference between Beal-Smith and Walker's running style with Carney, keeping that information close to the vest has value.

One thing I'd also like to point out - Christian Beal-Smith has been out best or second best player on special teams coverage. Our struggling special teams will miss him as much or more than our offense will.

I believe Newman was in pads and throwing pre-game for FSU but then came out for kickoff in street clothes

I believe Newman was in pads and throwing pre-game for FSU but then came out for kickoff in street clothes

Concur with jaybone Barca....Newman was only wearing his jersey with no pads observing pre-game warm-ups.

Now Conor stated that he did do some throwing. My guess he did so way before pre-game....like 2 hours before with no fans yet allowed into the stadium.

So, for clarity on the FSU game and for future: There are basically 3 segments to warm-ups.

- stretching, which is what the team was doing while the silly FSU O-lineman was prancing around during, typically starts 5-10 minutes after the Deacon Walk (i.e., they go into the locker room, change and come out).
- preliminary warm-ups, which typically happens around 90-120 minutes before games start. Seems like it's semi-structured, with some coaches/trainers involved but also some freedoms, i.e. Jamie and Sam throw to whatever receivers they want. (this is when Sage comes out in his hood-only look)
- final warm-ups, the ones that fans see, are really structured, feature some walk-through elements and drills. These are the first times we see players in pads.

Jamie did the first two for FSU, then was in the hoodie with a jersey over top for the third one. Unless news breaks, that third segment is going to be the revealing one for the N.C. State, I'd think.

Sage didn't even wear a shirt to warmups and still played.

So, for clarity on the FSU game and for future: There are basically 3 segments to warm-ups.

- stretching, which is what the team was doing while the silly FSU O-lineman was prancing around during, typically starts 5-10 minutes after the Deacon Walk (i.e., they go into the locker room, change and come out).
- preliminary warm-ups, which typically happens around 90-120 minutes before games start. Seems like it's semi-structured, with some coaches/trainers involved but also some freedoms, i.e. Jamie and Sam throw to whatever receivers they want. (this is when Sage comes out in his hood-only look)
- final warm-ups, the ones that fans see, are really structured, feature some walk-through elements and drills. These are the first times we see players in pads.

Jamie did the first two for FSU, then was in the hoodie with a jersey over top for the third one. Unless news breaks, that third segment is going to be the revealing one for the N.C. State, I'd think.

thanks. I saw your tweet pre-game and didn't look closely enough at the video you posted to see how he was dressed. just assumed at that point in time everyone was in pads.

I had forgotten that Tabari Hines was at State. I don’t think he should have left Wake and he would have played a fair amount after Dortch’s injury. He didn’t play much at Oregon and now he gets to return to Wake where he, hopefully, is on the losing end of a blowout.

I had forgotten that Tabari Hines was at State. I don’t think he should have left Wake and he would have played a fair amount after Dortch’s injury. He didn’t play much at Oregon and now he gets to return to Wake where he, hopefully, is on the losing end of a blowout.

He didn't seem happy at Wake, so we're likely better off without him. He made some comments after going to Oregon that rubbed many the wrong way, and then apparently wasn't happy there so he's at school number 3. He is their 5th leading receiver with 192 yards and 1 touchdown, basically a decent game for Sage.

Walker unleashed!

One thing I'd also like to point out - Christian Beal-Smith has been out best or second best player on special teams coverage. Our struggling special teams will miss him as much or more than our offense will.

I missed that CBS is out with an injury. I"ll be interested to see how walker does after essentially not being utilized the last couple of games despite the great season start.

Nassir Greer will hurt him bad. Calling it now

He's pretty much sucked at State if it makes you feel any better. Not sure if that's due to QB problems or what but you guys haven't missed much.

Back