• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC State Game Time - Noon ESPN

That was vs Clemson in 2014. That had me so jacked. We played a damn good game too until we wore down in the 4th quarter.

That was the first time we wore the gold helmets. It was a Thursday night game.

Didn't somebody point out that we have a bad record in the gold helmets?

Just saw that Leary is competing <50% of his passes against primarily backups in garbage time. Sure he's made some nice throws and has 3 TDs vs zero INTs, but if we can avoid big plays, he doesn't seem like the type of QB that is going to consistently carve up the defense on short and mid-range passes.

Pressure will be key, and I hope we blitz him early and often. Specifically, the delayed QB spy blitz that ruined Howell in the first half against UNC would be ideal.

Will be interesting to see how he does against Wake for sure. The OL has been terrible blocking for the run, but okay protecting against the pass statistically. Leary had about 6 drops by the WR's against BC so that certainly impacted his completion %. His MO coming into school was one that would lead you to believe that if given time he will just carve teams up with accuracy and his arm strength but that leads to him attempting some tougher throws for sure. Given that BC was playing pass the entire game after getting up big I think you will see better accuracy numbers. IF he has time to throw it wouldn't shock me if he has a really good game. He's been the best passing QB on the team all year and fans have been clamoring for him but DD was sending some type of message sticking with the other two I guess. Just odd to have clearly the best QB on the team be 3rd string for half the season.

"We all agree" that since Wake is coming off a bye week the Pack win going away.

I'm assuming BC was playing extremely soft zone coverage for the majority of that time up 4 TDS. Don't think them "playing the pass" made things tougher at all.

I think the whole "overachieve" thing all comes from the recruiting rankings and how we're always near the bottom.

You've also gotta consider the source in this particular instance.

Wouldn't put much stock in what R. Cory says (or in this case, types).

Please message me if anyone has an extra Hill Ticket or two to purchase -- and it's ok if it's a child ticket. Bringing a crew from Charlotte. Thanks!

EISgtVCX0AA0NSI

Just watched the condensed State BC game and am changing my tune a bit on Leary. Kid definitely has a live arm and isn't afraid to cut it loose. Also isn't afraid to throw into some tight windows, so hopefully we can get a few INTs. As with any QB (except maybe Newman), looked much worse when pressured. I only noticed one or two passes more than 12 yards downfield, so hopefully we don't play as far off as usual. State's running game looked atrocious until garbage time in the 4th. Oh, and they broke out the WR pass with Thayer Thomas again vs. BC, so hopefully our coaches are all over that.

State's front 7 played surprisingly well for over a quarter. Then the full on domination began. So many big holes and so many missed tackles. If Carney can get any sort of head of steam going, he's going to feast. BC also destroyed them on screen passes (particularly TE screens).

Beats me. Have you done some #analysis ? Besides Tua, Burrow, and Herbert who are the pros slobbering over for the 2020 class ? Hurts ? Fromm ? Eason ?

Sure, Newman's behind all those guys imo. He's not extremely accurate, he's not fast (even for a big quarterback), and he will have only played 16 games at the end of this season. If he moves up in the draft next year it will be cause he's gotten better, not because of the competition.

Newman's 40 time range is listed at Draft scouts as 4.54-4.74. Same as Tua who is listed at 2 inches shorter and 20 lbs lighter. Haven't looked up the other top QBs yet.

Back